Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing this forum has a lot of new riders to the sport I would like to suggest one thing with helmets. I got back into the sport recently and instead of a higher or mid grade helmet went with a entry level HJC CL 16. After one month with it I can say it sucks. Heavy and the weight is distributed poorly. I got a sore neck sometimes after a ride. So today I decided to buy HJC's top helmet the RPS-10. It is super light and cant wait to try it on later today.

Do not go to to cheap heavy helmet. You know the saying. Buy cheap Buy twice.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it for a brief ride today in 45-50 degree weather. Hardly any wind noise and if you turn your head to change lanes there no whistle sound. It is designed for high speed and gets an A plus for aerodynamics. Its got a 5 year warranty that covers the lifespan of a helmet if you go by the every 5 year new lid rule.

Wasnt cheap 324 bucks including tax. I think you can buy cheaper on Amazon or Ebay but for expensive stuff I dont take chances anymore and just pay more for local. Ebay- been burned too many times with sellers sending you 2nd tier stuff that has some kind of defect or when you return it they say they never got it back and keep your money. Never again- I take my money and give it to the local business.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Shoei.........price range to fit most peoples budget, yet far from cheaply made. One of the most comfortable helmuts i've worn. DOT and Snell certified. Few suggestions....Research helmuts; try them all on; walk around the store with it on to try out comfort level. Make sure the store staff know what they are talking about re:quality, fit etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I Have a Box BX3 Helmet which is AS/NZS1698 Approved, Cost me about $70. Build Quality isn't the best and is noisy but it is comfortable and i find it quite light.

When i was shopping for my bike gear the salesman walked me through everything (I was probably in the store for about an hour) and when we came to the helmets i tried various sizes and materials on.

When i asked him what the differences in price meant he basically said that because all helmets that are sold in australia have to be certified they are all going to protect you in an accident. Essentially you are paying for the Build Quality, Comfort and Quietness.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Getting me a new helmet after xmas. Want something quieter and lighter. but lighter more important to replace the current Scorpion EXO1000. I mainly use that in cooler months and a cheepo but very light Zox in the summer. Exo1000 just too heavy. Especially now a days since i have had cervical disc issues. Probably going to be getting an all white Shoei Qwest.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still think nothing beats an Arai if you wallet can take it. They are not the lightest on the scale out there but its how the weight is balanced that feels just right. I think the old Shoei RF900 is even better in feel than today's Shoeis.

·
Registered
426 Posts
sure Arai is nice and all that but are they really THAT much nicer? That is huge $$ atleast around here. Example the Corsair V Full Graphics is regular price 1199 on sale for 875. So plus tax thats almost 1000$ cdn ... The solids are a bit cheaper but still on sale for 729+tax. i guess the Shoei RF1100 is comparable model wise to the above Arai? 570/430$ (regular/sale) on the 1100 and 470/370$ on the Qwest. The Shoei Qwest i like because it more of an upright seating helmet and less vents/less protuberences for hopefully less wind noise. speaking of noise. i notice alot of these helmets have spots to install speakers. Be nice to be able to install built in hearing protection instead. so it be like wearing earplugs all the time.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use to live in Seattle, why dont you come down to Seattle and buy a nice helmet here. Dealers will take 10% any helmet right away which cover the 9.5 sales tax there. I hear what you say about Scorpion helmets, they are heavy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Scorpion exo 700 Raider..super comfortable, light, quiet, great no fog quick release face shield, i really like it..120.00$

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
New riders neeed heavy helmets.. strengthens the neck muscles haha.
but HJC? no thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So just an update. Last week i tried on the 2 lids i was interested in.
The Shoei Qwest and the Shoei RF1100. Went with the RF1100 as it fit better.
Had to wait a week for it to come in (picked up on the 5th)

Havent had much chance to ride with it yet. An hour or 2 on the 6th. But so far i like it. Did not notice any neck pain compared what the EXO1000 caused.

I also got AlpineStars perforated leather jacket. Gloves and boots. Already have good riding pants (JoeRocket)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I bought my helmet for $50 bucks..its light as can be and DOT approved...I will disagree 100% of the time with anyone who says more expensive = better.
DOT isn't the only helmet rating, it's just the bare minimum.

Even the low end HJC is both DOT and Snell approved. Snell is an optional rating but it's the only thing separating your head from the pavement... I say get the one rated for both.

That being said, I had a cheaper one before the CL-16. I would have liked an even higher end one but I couldn't afford what I wanted and this one is safe. I ride mostly in town anyways. This helmet is also a lot easier on my neck then the one I had before. I was getting neck cramps until I switched lol.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally bought a helmet to match my red silver 250r. It is freaking nice and expensive.
Should be here tommorrow!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts