Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spooned on new tires, Michelin's no less and went to 120 front and 160 rear, still plenty of clearance and looks very nice. Also the Honda tank protector and Honda Knee pads in their cool Carbon Fiber stuff.

Bolted on new ASV levers.

Ordered up the hotbodies fender eliminator and the Akropovic pipe , due in in 1 week.

Woohoo.........................

·
Registered
576 Posts
Spooned on new tires, Michelin's no less and went to 120 front and 160 rear, still plenty of clearance and looks very nice. Also the Honda tank protector and Honda Knee pads in their cool Carbon Fiber stuff.

Bolted on new ASV levers.

Ordered up the hotbodies fender eliminator and the Akropovic pipe , due in in 1 week.

Woohoo.........................
how about some pictures of the new tires ON the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Isn't it exciting to mod up your bike? Post pics. Ive modded up mine, will be posting pics in a couple of weeks. Bikes in the shop getting his wheels powder coated, new levers, and rear wheel sets. Already have new exhaust, cowl and frame sliders. Excited for you:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt think a 160 would fit in the rear.
thats what i want to see.
I'm computer inept so I will have a co-worker help me post pictures tomorrow. I work in a Honda dealership so trying it out would have cost me nothing if it had not fit. We ended up with still a finger of clearance on each side. The closest thing to touching is the chain and it still has plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
nice. My understanding, (has been discussed somewhere one this forum) is that a 160 will hurt your handling if you have it on a smaller rim. Dangerous even as you aren't getting to the soft sticky spot of the tire when turning the bike in. let us know how it handles in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
282 Posts
nice. My understanding, (has been discussed somewhere one this forum) is that a 160 will hurt your handling if you have it on a smaller rim. Dangerous even as you aren't getting to the soft sticky spot of the tire when turning the bike in. let us know how it handles in the tight stuff.
+1
Jamming a 160 on the rear has likely deformed the profile of the tire slightly, making it less effective(and massive chicken strips as edge of tire is unreachable), and a bigger front will definitely make turn in/change of direction harder/slower. All that before the extra weight is factored in.
But if you didn't ride with stock tires on it, you won't miss what you never had.;)
ASV make great levers, just a little expensive for my taste.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would have stuck with 140 and perhaps stick some Pirelli Diablo Corsa II on the 250r. Just from past exp smaller tires will make your bike more flickable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
thanks for the pictures.
i think i'll stick with the stock size.
those look weird like they are bubbled in the center.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that is what they do. They get pointier, not as round because the tire is wider but still goes on the same size rim. This slightly decreases the contact patch when straight up or slightly leaned but it increases it as you corner because that edge is flatter. I expect zero performance benefit from this except maybe a miniscule benefit from having more tire to absorb the heat with because of the increase in overall size, which may be better in Phoenix (HOT). I expect it will take a bit more effort to start the turn but because it is pointer it falls off quickly so more initial input, less secondary, (pull it down to you with your knee on the ground). This bike turns in effortlessly still, it is really much better than I expected.

Bottom line, I did it mainly because of how I wanted it to look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, that is what they do. They get pointier, not as round because the tire is wider but still goes on the same size rim. This slightly decreases the contact patch when straight up or slightly leaned but it increases it as you corner because that edge is flatter. I expect zero performance benefit from this except maybe a miniscule benefit from having more tire to absorb the heat with because of the increase in overall size, which may be better in Phoenix (HOT). I expect it will take a bit more effort to start the turn but because it is pointer it falls off quickly so more initial input, less secondary, (pull it down to you with your knee on the ground). This bike turns in effortlessly still, it is really much better than I expected.

Bottom line, I did it mainly because of how I wanted it to look.
Great logic for the track, I'll be lucky to see 2-3 trackdays a year :( so I'll stick with the stock size .......OK maybe a 150 on the rear .......for the looks :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts