Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$43 shipped
http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servl...0-CLEAR/Detail

http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servl...1-SMOKE/Detail

LED Flush Mount Turn Signals

Honda CBR250R

Hotbodies Racing's sleek, Flush-Mount LED Blinkers are designed for an aerodynamic edge. These unique, Industry First custom-designed blinkers fit neatly into the fairing pockets of the factory blinker stalks, giving your bike a clean, slippery look of speed. Because our Flush-Mount Blinkers are shaped for each model bike, their integrated finish accentuate the streamlined designs. Our Flush-Mount Blinkers feature amber LED Lights behind your choice of clear, smoke, red or blue lenses for an exacting edgeless fit.

Features

- Industry leading design.
- LEDs for trouble free maintenance.
- Exclusive colored lens.
- Easy Installation.

Part Numbers:
41102-0100 Honda Flush Mount Signals - Clear Lens
41102-0101 Honda Flush Mount Signals - Smoke Lens

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are there any photos, perhaps a video of them blinking from the front? Sure flush mount looks good but if you cannot see it from the front of the bike that well it may not be legal everywhere (like where I am).

From the provided pics it is really hard to tell how deep it is in the fairing and how visible it would be from the front of the bike.

I am also interested in how much of a reduction the smoke lenses give to the emitted light. A light meter would tell, but someone has to have one in order to take the readings (both at the lens as well as from a distance of a few meters). Light meters are really cheap though.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanx but i'll pass...each to his own I guess..but you couldn't PAY me to put those on my mine.....Its my opinion that it is basically useless for the people on the side of the road that i am driving past to see my turn signal blinking but the vehicles in front of me would have no way of telling that my signal is even on...Those flush mounted turn signals will look awful good blinking underneath the front bumper of the pickup truck or passenger car that runs you over cuz they didnt have a clue you were turning in front of them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is why I wanted to know how visible they were. Some people have added LED strips on the front to increase the forward view, but there comes a point when its just silly to have to add a ton of extra lights to compensate for the removal of the posts.

Here, I dont know about any other state/nation (but its probably similar) over half of all motorcycle collisions are a left turn at an intersection. The opposing driver either did not see the bike or did not see that it was turning (or so they claim). Given that reducing signaling in that environment seems a good way to get hit.

I have emailed hot bodies:
I was wondering how much light reduction is present with the smoke
lenses on the flush mount turn signals for the cbr 250. Do you have
actual numbers from a light meter both at a few meter distance as well
as close up?

I was also wondering if you had any photos of them installed with
emphasis on them blinking with a front view? Being flush it seems that
some of the forward visibility would be minimized. I enjoyed watching
your youtube video on the fender eliminator kit install by Liz, so
perhaps some more eye candy (and the bike too) could be done on an
install of these complete with a panning view from the front (also a
panning view of the bike). :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is why I wanted to know how visible they were. Some people have added LED strips on the front to increase the forward view, but there comes a point when its just silly to have to add a ton of extra lights to compensate for the removal of the posts.

Here, I dont know about any other state/nation (but its probably similar) over half of all motorcycle collisions are a left turn at an intersection. The opposing driver either did not see the bike or did not see that it was turning (or so they claim). Given that reducing signaling in that environment seems a good way to get hit.

I have emailed hot bodies:

Over half of the motorcycle collisions must have been the Rider's fault, because they should not have proceeded with the turn if a car was approaching. If you really think about it, you don't even need front turn signals. Front signals are more of a convenience for others. If a car is approaching from the oncoming direction, simply wait until it is clear to turn.

On the other hand, rear turn signals serve purpose. They tell the drivers behind you that you are preparing to turn, which in turn means you will be slowing. They also tell drivers behind you that you intend on changing lanes.
The only other purpose for turn signals, I can think of at the moment, would be to indicate that the emergency flashers are on.

If I missed something, let me know :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

References and citations please.

·
Registered
928 Posts
R
Over half of the motorcycle collisions must have been the Rider's fault, because they should not have proceeded with the turn if a car was approaching. If you really think about it, you don't even need front turn signals. Front signals are more of a convenience for others. If a car is approaching from the oncoming direction, simply wait until it is clear to turn.

On the other hand, rear turn signals serve purpose. They tell the drivers behind you that you are preparing to turn, which in turn means you will be slowing. They also tell drivers behind you that you intend on changing lanes.
The only other purpose for turn signals, I can think of at the moment, would be to indicate that the emergency flashers are on.

If I missed something, let me know :)
Really, another dude. I think were talking about cars making left turns in front of motorcycles. And yes fron turn signals should tell approaching vehicles what youre doing. I guess during the day hand signals might help. Both the front turn signals are also steady for more visibilty. You must have a special CBR because mine doesnt have emergency flashers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
R

Really, another dude. I think were talking about cars making left turns in front of motorcycles. And yes fron turn signals should tell approaching vehicles what youre doing. I guess during the day hand signals might help. Both the front turn signals are also steady for more visibilty. You must have a special CBR because mine doesnt have emergency flashers.
Madd-trapper,

If cars are making left hand turns in front of motorcycles, I don't think any turn signal on your bike will save you. Hopefully you are watching them and can avoid them.

I do understand the visibility factor, but it's hard to say what the driver will see. The headlight is in the general vicinity, but the "marker lights" add the amber color to catch one's eye. It's hard to say which light(s) will catch each and every driver's eye better.

On the thought of trading your turn signals to be flush mounted:

If you think about it, no car in front of your bike needs to know that you are turning left. If you are going to pass a car and want to signal, I understand the want to signify the overtake. Most drivers cannot tell most vehicles approaching are travelling faster than them.

Situation:
The bike and a car are approaching the same intersection, where the bike intends to make a left hand turn. The bike is traveling north, and the car is traveling south. It is not necessary for the car to know what the bike's intentions are. The bike will wait for the car to clear the intersection before proceeding with the left hand turn.

Rear turn signals, aid in letting the driver behind you know that you intend to turn and therefore need to apply the brakes.

Just think of all the times you have been traveling on the road. How often do you look at other's front turn signals? Do their turn signals justify what actions you take?

Conclusion: Front turn signals do provide information pertaining to the operator's intentions. Is that information immensely needed? I guess that's your call. When it comes to the situations that I can think of, they don't seem to be absolutely mandatory. Possibly think of how a cyclist (on a bicycle), with no turn signals, gets around town.

Please, let us know if there is a situation in which they would be mandatory.

A thought about aesthetics: front flush mount signals, or remove them all together, and retrofit the mirror/ turn signal combos.

P.s. I mentioned the hazards to include all my thoughts on turn indicators themselves.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, Dude :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts