·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switched to blue for 2012.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Not my cup of tea but it does look cool.
At speed I wonder if it looks like a Tron light speeder?
And I mean that in a good way. Good job. Looks great.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not my cup of tea but it does look cool.
At speed I wonder if it looks like a Tron light speeder?
And I mean that in a good way. Good job. Looks great.
It doesn't go fast enough for that =P

·
Registered
221 Posts
I really like the look of that, what are the laws in US OF A regarding neons?

In Australia they can only be turned on while stationary if my memory is correct.

Whats with the cardboard box lol

·
Registered
282 Posts

In Australia they can only be turned on while stationary if my memory is correct.

don't know about SA Robbo, but in NSW the rules are no spinning or flashing lights, no red light facing front and no white light facing rear and no blue at all. Says nothing here about not having your underglow on while riding, so to me that means it's OK.
These rules are state based not federal, so whats good in NSW may not be in SA.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I live in the U.S.A. State or michigan. Friend with a gold wing got a ticket for his neon lights. He was pissed didnt think there was a law against it

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

They are most likely illegal... but most of the cops in my town know me so they don't really care. The cardboard box is keeping the front tire off the cold cement floor for the winter storage. My front stand kinda sucks so i stopped using it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks cool..how was the instal?
install was not bad. used alpena LED strips. The red ones i had last year fell off with the cold so these ones are all tie-wrapped onto the frame and other spots.

·
Registered
107 Posts

The US is a union of member states, per the constitution the geography is 10 square miles (currently Washington DC) as such most things like traffic laws are the sovereign right of the member states in the union (I feel this preamble is required to get people thinking that way again and stop further encroachment by the government).

In California it is legal so long as the light itself is not visible (as a general rule). The glow can be visible but not the LEDs or whatever is actually producing the light is visible.

I plan on doing something like this to create a halo under my bike increasing the size my bike appears at night. The increased size and visibility should help me be seen. Based on research the UK gov did regarding motorists attitudes towards bikes one of the biggest issues is that a bike is small so it *seems* further away, thus cagers think they have more time and distance. The bike also *seems* to be going slower than it is, it tends to blend with advertisements and other things at street level, etc. By increasing its visibility, apparent size, etc my hope is to continue my streak of not being hit by a car.

One cog in an otherwise larger system.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Like the look, am curious how you wired them in? Do they stay on all the time or did you mount a toggle switch on the bike? I live in the Philippines so I can use any light any color doesnt matter.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I transferred my ledglow white lights from my scooter to my cbr250r. The white is legal around here and I've cruised around cops all night. I believe the colors are illegal to ride with though, that;s why I went with white. I only got the lights for visibility at night b/c I used to ride a lot at night.

I think the visibility of the bright leds are awesome at night.

I just added 6 more lights last night. I now have 13 led strip lights

·
Registered
394 Posts
LOTS OF PRETTY PICTURES
I like the white setup, just looks **** sexy. I'm thinking about possibly purchasing a set. Robbo, someone else posted about the legality of LEDs and stuff down here in Aus, there was an extract from SA law saying that lights with the intention of dazzling other motorists was not lawful. As with most laws, this comes at the discretion of the popo who's just pulled you over so I'd recommend leaving them off until the bike is stationary and off :p If I do get a set of LEDs they will be white and/or blue and they won't be on if I'm riding.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I like the white setup, just looks **** sexy. I'm thinking about possibly purchasing a set. Robbo, someone else posted about the legality of LEDs and stuff down here in Aus, there was an extract from SA law saying that lights with the intention of dazzling other motorists was not lawful. As with most laws, this comes at the discretion of the popo who's just pulled you over so I'd recommend leaving them off until the bike is stationary and off :p If I do get a set of LEDs they will be white and/or blue and they won't be on if I'm riding.
With this set you can control the intensity of the light. It has a remote control. I've pulled right up next to cops with my lights on. As long as you don't have the lights flickering in any way you will be ok. laws are different by the state though. Around here people with colored lights ride around with them on. I'll ride with mine on until a cop says otherwise. I think the visibility greatly improves and it's safer riding with the lights.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As long as you don't have the lights flickering in any way you will be ok.
Yeah I think if they were flashing it'd definitely fulfil the "no dazzle" law here haha

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
well in this U. S. of A. state..it varies by county and city laws..but probably say the same thing..like my county does....stationary and not on a public roadway is the only way you could ever have them on here without getting ticketed....i guess would look cool parked in the parking lot down at the commons where the teenagers group up and hang on weekends....if your a teen and into that..lol.....sorry..jk mongoose..just ribbing you a bit.. your lights looks really cool

·
Registered
42 Posts
For those of you who's installed these LED strips, how do you connect them to the battery? Do you just strip the 2 wires on a 12V plug and wrap them around the positive and negative terminals of the battery? Does it need grounding?

Btw, Jubis, I'm in Aus too. I'm thinking of buying a RGB kit with IR remote so that I can choose my colours and also turn it into a disco light when I'm stationary! I'll be putting 2 strips in the gap on the side fairings so it won't be facing the front nor the back.

·
Registered
630 Posts
hifer, I wouldn't connect these directly to the battery. If you forget to turn them off you'll be stuffed. In addition, if they happen to short out while you're riding... The results could be interesting, at best. Let's just say if you short out a battery, you're in for some interesting times.

You're better off hooking them into the existing lights or connecting directly to the fuse box. You can get special connectors that allow you to connect two wires together without cutting or soldering. Visit Jaycar or some auto spares shop like Supercheap. Alternatively, you can get an auto electrician to install them for you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts