Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do everyone. I'm currently debating a 250 as a dedicated track toy and I'm looking for info from guys who race or regularly track their cbr250's about how they stack up against the kawi's. I know these hondas are relatively new and as such there isn't exactly a great deal of aftermarket support yet, but how do they stack up?
On my local forum here in socal everyone races the kawi's and say they haven't even seen the cbr's out there. The word I've gotten so far is that unless you got a ton of cash laying around it's much easier to just go kawi and forget about it. Any and all input is welcome.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Aftermarket gear is slowly coming out.

There is now an air filter option, Fuel box options.

You can turn any slipon into a full system with an arrow front pipe ($139 from biohazzard in the sponsors section)

I have an M4 Street Slayer mounted to the Arrow front pipe

You can get levers and crash knobs

Rear sets are everywhere

What else more do you need?

If you have a quick search thru the forums there is one or two guys with really good write ups on the CBR vs Ninja on a track!

Oh and now suspension stuff is starting to come out

·
Registered
164 Posts
As a new rider, you should get a used ninja250 for $1500 and track it. If you drop it, there are plenty of used parts to be had. Or find a salvaged 2nd bike for parts.

Better yet, get a SV650 (half or full-faired) as a track bike. With a 250, you will soon be whining about how you can't keep up with your buddies' 600s

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Forget the CBR for track use. I've owned the Ninja (UK FI version) and I've now got a CBR 250R. In my opinion, The Ninja is a much more track oriented bike, that will blow the CBR into the weeds around a circuit, no matter how much you do to the CBR. The Ninja has 7 bhp more in standard form. The CBR is a commuter bike really, and it's much better to ride on the road, due to it's more flexible engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys/gals. It sounds like the kawi is the way to go. The 250 series is really popular here in Socal and I plan to start racing in 2013. I currently track my r6 but I want something cheaper cause to 600 class can get real expensive to stay competitive. Still debating and I still have a good deal of time on my side so I will wait before pulling the trigger on anything and see how the cbr does this year. Thanks again.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Forget the CBR for track use. I've owned the Ninja (UK FI version) and I've now got a CBR 250R. In my opinion, The Ninja is a much more track oriented bike, that will blow the CBR into the weeds around a circuit, no matter how much you do to the CBR. The Ninja has 7 bhp more in standard form. The CBR is a commuter bike really, and it's much better to ride on the road, due to it's more flexible engine.
Umm. I compiled all the data I could find (see http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/1309-race-winner-8.html) from online and print magazines that tested both the CBR250R and the Ninja 250R on the same dynos in various head-to-head comparos. The overall finding for stock bikes? The Ninja 250R makes 2.5 more rear-wheel hp on average than the CBR250R.

You might also wish to take back your claim that the "Ninja is a much more track oriented bike, that will blow the CBR into the weeds around a circuit, no matter how much you do to the CBR." I guess you haven't read the following thread on this forum......and the link to the evidence...

After many late nights last week race prepping our new CBR, we took it to Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Tx, for its first race. Ryan Andrews won the E Superstock race (against 22 EX250s) by more than 5 seconds. Then we entered the CMRA 2 hour endurance race, and took the overall win by a full lap. We also set the fastest lap of the day by over 1.5 seconds. Thanks to Road and Track Suspension in san antonio tx for the suspension work, Kyle at M4 exhausts, and Dante @ Bazzaz for the late night tech support.
See the results under Superstock E.

:: Sprint Results.Overall

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts