Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions//discussion on the topic! These questions are mainly for experienced riders and/or newbies such as myself. Hopefully, this thread will help future riders!

For experienced riders:

1) Did you start riding on a 250cc or a 600cc? Why?

2) Is it okay/doable to start on a 600cc? Why/why not?

3) IF you started on a 250cc and upgraded to a 600cc, how long did it take for you to gather the experience necessary to switch up?

For beginners:

1) Are you going to start on a 250cc or a 600cc? Why?

2) Do you plan on upgrading from a 250cc to a 600cc?

Thanks! Will add more questions as they come to mind

·
Registered
69 Posts
For beginners:

1) Are you going to start on a 250cc or a 600cc? Why?

2) Do you plan on upgrading from a 250cc to a 600cc?

Thanks! Will add more questions as they come to mind

The CBR250R will be my first motorcycle. The closest I have been to riding something like this before was an ATV. I don't know what the CC was, only that it was a manual transmission so I have very slight experience with shifting.
I am going to start with a 250CC because it doesn't offer to much power. I hear and read many comments recommending getting a bigger bike and just going easy on it as you learn, then with time being able to use more of the power. Well, I want to start on the 250CC and really enjoy riding while getting a sense of the whole experience and be able to push it (even to it's limits) while learning. Not having fear of twisting the throttle to hard, or having a bike that's hard to turn during slow maneuvers. From what I read regarding the Ninja 250 people have a lot of fun on their 'little' bike. Great for taking on twisty, canyon roads and just scooting around town. I have no plans for actually racing a bike or doing 150mph (honestly I don't plan to take it over 85 MPH). The gas mileage of these bikes is phenomenal too making the 250cc class very attractive.

Do I plan to upgrade to a larger displacement?: I am not sure. It will depend on how things go with this bike. My main two reasons for getting a bike are 1) save money on the cost of gas, 2) Enjoy going places and wanting to get back into driving around just for fun and checking out new places.
My commute to work is approx. 36 miles round trip with probably just over 34 miles of that being freeway. I do have a concern about being able to accelerate out of the way of idiot drivers and more importantly (to me) the common problem with crosswinds. I have read these bikes are really not that great on the freeways because they are so light they get blown around a lot. My preference is to take the freeway to work, but I can take surface streets which based on Google maps will add approx. 11 minutes to my commute (I'm not so optimistic).
If freeway riding does present an issue more often than not I will probably lean more towards getting a bigger/heavier bike.

With all that said, I plan on keeping the CBR250 even if I do get a bigger bike, either so my wife can ride or if it really is as fun as people say the little Ninja is then I will keep it to enjoy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah i planing on starting with a 250cc bike, because simply do not trust myself set with a 600cc bike. I'll admit i may be an idiot at times and try to over take a dude to cut me off or was in the wrong. Plus its safe bike to start off with, as it isnt exactly a rocket on wheels here. 600cc bikes are quick and heavier but, i honestly feel that is is better to start small than move big, also the cbr250 isnt too heavy on the coin side of things.

Even ive herd about this bike being push around by cross winds but hopefully i'll manage

·
Registered
193 Posts
I started riding as a young teen on a XL125. Riding in the ditches out in the country with my friends.
I took my motorcycle license test at age 18 on a borrowed Saber V65. Only rode a few times after that on a CB750 and Silverwing.
Twenty years later the motorcycle bug bit me again and I got a VT750DC Shadow. That lasted 5 years till I laid her down last fall in a round-about.
Now I'm looking at the CBR250R for commuting to work (60 miles round trip on secondary, two-lane roads) and weekend day trips. I figure since I've ridden everything but a sport bike it's time to try one out and the new CBR250R came along at just the right time and with the right price tag.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Started to learn on my buddies ninja 250r. He would let me take it out a lot whenever he wasn't using it. Eventually picked up a R6 then sold it after a year. Was being too stupid on it and was afraid of what might happen. But now I want to get back in the game and the cbr250 might be a good way for me to curb my habits but still enjoy riding.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Recommendation is to start small

You tube is full of newbies crashing on big bikes. That should be warning enough.

I & most people over 40 likely started on smaller bikes that we wrung every bit of power from we could. I started on 2-strokes, which had very unique power curves, but generally you had to rev the dog snot out of them to get them to perform.

90cc, 100cc, 175cc street , 175cc, 250cc, 390cc, 250cc, (all 2 stroke) 750cc (4 stroke 350cc (2-stroke street) My present 4 stroke CM450c.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts