Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the CBR250R about a month ago and am pretty much obsessed with it. I have read a motorcycles for dummies book and watched numerous youtube videos on how to ride. I hopped on for the first time somewhat knowing what I was doing! However, I was most surprised by how jerky first gear is (no one seemed to mention it) For example, If I'm doing figure 8's in first gear its tough to keep it smooth because if I let off the gas it engine brakes and jerks me forward. This is normal right? or should i do figure 8's in 2nd gear to make it smoother? Going 10-12mph. I assume I need to work the clutch so its smooth in first but looking for some confirmation my head is in the right spot...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Roll on and off the throttle gently while slipping the clutch in and out of the friction zone to modulate your speed. Brush the rear brake lightly with your right foot to slow. And slide your body outward in your seat (3-4 inches) opposite to the way you wish to turn for slow speed maneuvering. You can do this comfortably in 1st gear at speeds around 4-10 MPH. Try taking it a little slower and slipping your clutch more.
I encourage you to enroll and take a Basic MSF rider course, as this and many other essential skills are taught under instructor supervision.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tips. yeah I'm enrolled but this whole winter thing (michigan) has really got me pissed this year. I enrolled in the first class of the year which isn't until april 13th so until then its me, a driveway, a cul de sac, and some cones. hopefully the neighbors dont get pissed!

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's my plan as well... Neighbors already hate me, so all's good...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad to hear i'm not the only one. i had some people down the street sitting in their driveway probably wondering what the hell i'm doing weaving through cones in my driveway. Or waiting to see if they can catch me dropping a brand new bike. hasn't happened yet though..i think its pretty quiet w/stock exhaust so they should be happy its not worse. f*ck em. i can't just let the bike sit there!

·
Registered
12 Posts
glad to hear i'm not the only one. i had some people down the street sitting in their driveway probably wondering what the hell i'm doing weaving through cones in my driveway. Or waiting to see if they can catch me dropping a brand new bike. hasn't happened yet though..i think its pretty quiet w/stock exhaust so they should be happy its not worse. f*ck em. i can't just let the bike sit there!
Pretty much did this as 6AM the first weekend I got the bike haha.

I was pretty paranoid that I was waking up my neighbors, so I had a friend stand by but he was saying it's not that loud.

After a few weeks of riding, I found myself rarely going into first gear - only times I'm in first is if I missed N downshifting from 2nd. At stops I'm at N due to long stop lights, then shift into 3 to take off. Starting from 3 helps take off quick enough to overtake the cars on the sides when lane splitting.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
After a few weeks of riding, I found myself rarely going into first gear - only times I'm in first is if I missed N downshifting from 2nd. At stops I'm at N due to long stop lights, then shift into 3 to take off. Starting from 3 helps take off quick enough to overtake the cars on the sides when lane splitting.
You just learned to ride this bike circling cones in your driveway a few weeks ago and your already lane splitting?!?!? I wouldnt lane split and I am a seasoned rider.. I have to avoid some dumba$$ from taking me out every time i ride like a sensible human being..i aint about to increase the odds of that happening by lane splitting..even if it is legal to do so in you state (california is the only place it is legal isnt it?)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bought the CBR250R about a month ago and am pretty much obsessed with it. I have read a motorcycles for dummies book and watched numerous youtube videos on how to ride. I hopped on for the first time somewhat knowing what I was doing! However, I was most surprised by how jerky first gear is (no one seemed to mention it) For example, If I'm doing figure 8's in first gear its tough to keep it smooth because if I let off the gas it engine brakes and jerks me forward. This is normal right? or should i do figure 8's in 2nd gear to make it smoother? Going 10-12mph. I assume I need to work the clutch so its smooth in first but looking for some confirmation my head is in the right spot...
slipping the clutch is a key component..and its an ok thing todo on a motorcycle as opposed to a car..if you are just going in circles and fig. 8's, slipping the clutch in first gear will smoothe out your ride..and yes 1st gear will be a little jerky, but you will get the hang of it..just keep at it..good luck:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive heard arguements that lane splitting (at a stop light) is actually safer because you are out in front of the traffic and away from it once the light turns green. just situational i guess. or he's just f*cking with me because i'm a newbie. theres always that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slipping the clutch is a key component..and its an ok thing todo on a motorcycle as opposed to a car..if you are just going in circles and fig. 8's, slipping the clutch in first gear will smoothe out your ride..and yes 1st gear will be a little jerky, but you will get the hang of it..just keep at it..good luck:)
thank you for confirming that first gear is jerky. no joke, i thought something was wrong with my bike. i'll admit it.:eek: I thought slipping the clutch was correct but watching videos etc its hard to tell if people are working the clutch that much in first and no one ever mentions it! I keep over revving it too, trying to find the sweet spot between clutch and throttle. thanks again. someday I'll post about scraping my elbow on a curve. haha.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
ive heard arguements that lane splitting (at a stop light) is actually safer because you are out in front of the traffic and away from it once the light turns green. just situational i guess. or he's just f*cking with me because i'm a newbie. theres always that.
that would be safer for us but some one will do 100mph , which they already do.
we should be allowed at a very slow speed , safer for us :)

.....but there is always someone: "why do they get to go up to the front !? why can't they wait like everybody else !?"

....because im on a motorcycle and are not on facebook or texting at a red light :mad:

motorcycles should be allowed to go up on a red light and go 5-10mph faster than the posted speed limit ....... but that probably won't happen because "is just not fair"-crying voice :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
You just learned to ride this bike circling cones in your driveway a few weeks ago and your already lane splitting?!?!? I wouldnt lane split and I am a seasoned rider.. I have to avoid some dumba$$ from taking me out every time i ride like a sensible human being..i aint about to increase the odds of that happening by lane splitting..even if it is legal to do so in you state (california is the only place it is legal isnt it?)
No, I learned to ride 10 years ago on a scooter, and took the MSF class back in Oct. when I bought my CBR.

Not that I'm a seasoned driver or anything, but I have gotten pretty comfortable for lane splitting (which I only started a few weeks ago).

However, I'm not going crazy like other sport bikers who zoom by cars at 70-80MPH - I'm more of a 25-40 (depending on how slow they are moving) when I split lanes.

And yes, some cars will intentionally block me, hence going slow, and some cars will get upset that I'm in the front at a red and will floor it to pass me. That's fine, because so far I can tell who is likely to do that and I lean toward the lane of the other car who isn't peeling out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not that I'm a seasoned driver or anything, but I have gotten pretty comfortable for lane splitting (which I only started a few weeks ago).

However, I'm not going crazy like other sport bikers who zoom by cars at 70-80MPH - I'm more of a 25-40 (depending on how slow they are moving) when I split lanes.

And yes, some cars will intentionally block me, hence going slow, and some cars will get upset that I'm in the front at a red and will floor it to pass me. That's fine, because so far I can tell who is likely to do that and I lean toward the lane of the other car who isn't peeling out.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
spliting lanes while the cars are moving !?:eek:

get nervous when it has to be done when they're not moving :eek:, but when they're moving !?:confused:

you are very lucky they don't intentionally hit you and crush you just because they are having a bad day , and then volunteer officer Picklestein will say: he deserved it for splitting lanes :mad:

btw-you never really become a "season rider" :confused:, every time get on ANY MOTORCYCLE , could be your day to meet God :cool:;)

.....EVERY TIME !!!!:eek:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well with me. moving from the world of scooters to the cbr i found 1st gear tough at first. It was like there was no smooth transition and was an on/off switch. I was bucking like a bronco. When i rode the bike away from the dealer.

But now with 1200km of riding it doesnt do it any more. I can go super slow in 1st now nice and smooth.

now just waiting out this stupid winter for some decent riding weather. also to take it in for 1st service. (did do oil/filter change at 700km)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well with me. moving from the world of scooters to the cbr i found 1st gear tough at first. It was like there was no smooth transition and was an on/off switch. I was bucking like a bronco. When i rode the bike away from the dealer.

But now with 1200km of riding it doesnt do it any more. I can go super slow in 1st now nice and smooth.

now just waiting out this stupid winter for some decent riding weather. also to take it in for 1st service. (did do oil/filter change at 700km)
Bucking bronco, exactly. On/off switch is a good way to put it. It feels like the slightest turn of the throttle jerks me around in first. So when you say it doesn't do it anymore is it because you are just better with the clutch/throttle and know the bike or your saying its just broken in now and is just smoother because of that?

·
Registered
426 Posts
i think it is a combination of both, getting used to the bike and it getting broken in.
i find that now i can go really slow in 1st even with the clutch fully out and still be smooth. It also took me a few hours to untrain my hands/brain from the scooter.

Scooter, twist and go. so took me a bit to not twist the throttle too much and pop the clutch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got in from practicing my slow manuervers. I'm getting freakin antsy to hit the road. Anyways, I think putting it in second when I'm doing wide sweeping turns around 10-12 mph is smoother then first. It makes sense really because no throttle in first means 4-5 mph so letting off the gas going 10 is going to engine brake quite a bit. however in 2nd it doesnt jerk forward as much. i'm such a newbie. i know...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks like first gear is always kind of jerky, all bikes I tried have this behavior. But CBR250R had it _very_ jerky. I think its because if the combination of 1 cylinder + injector.
My current bike CBR600RR has this "jerkiness" too, but much less.

CBR250R was my first bike, I bought it last May. It's the greatest bike to learn on. I remember when I first got it I was so excited that I was waking up everyday just before sunrise to ride it for an hour on empty neighborhood streets.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I remember when I first got it I was so excited that I was waking up everyday just before sunrise to ride it for an hour on empty neighborhood streets.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

^ this is nice :)

.....be smooth on the throttle , light on the wrist ;)

..she'll stop jerking you off :D:D:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
btw-you never really become a "season rider" :confused:, every time get on ANY MOTORCYCLE , could be your day to meet God :cool:;)

.....EVERY TIME !!!!:eek:
THIS is soo true!!

I did not realy enjoy riding till about after the first month had to get over the every thing is going to kill me syndrome. AS a matter of fact if it was not for the money I spent and the work I did to get the wife on board I might of gaven up all together.... might of. Now I say that I should of started riding sooner in life... there is not too many things I say that about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts