Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there's another thread with a similar topic, but my question isn't EXACTLY the same. And please, before flaming, I'm not talking about doing this in 3 months, 6 months, or even a year, but possibly summer of 2013. And before anybody says it, I AM enjoying the ride on the 250, I just have financial considerations that must start this year, seeing as how I will not finance a bike, I'll pay cash only.

Several folks vaguely said that if you're "mature" and "respectful" of an inline 4 600cc bike, you can do alright with one after getting the basics down on the 250. I've also heard the same being said of starting with a 600 inline 4, that if you're "mature" and "respectful" of the bike, you'll be alright. I know we have several experienced riders on this forum, so I'm interested in what they would say a good next bike would be, after getting to the point of pushing the 250 to the "legal" limits *snicker*. I'd like to keep the topic flame free, so if someone says "You'd be fine on the 600" don't beat the answer down. I'm looking for viable options for a next bike. And I'm considering all options minus the 1000cc and Ducati's(obviously, I'm not an idiot, hence starting on a 250cc, and trying to keep it below 125Hp).

V-Twin options are (currently) : Yamaha FZ6R, Suzuki SV650SF, Kawasaki Ninja 650R, BMW F800ST(NOT a V-Twin, but an inline-2)

Inline-4 options are (currently) : The Big Four(a.k.a. R6, ZX6R, GSX-R600/750, CBR600RR), Triumph Daytona 675(Inline-3, but moves like a 4)

I only list these because I'm not looking at anything bigger for obvious reasons, and these all have great looks to them(a.k.a. fairings :D). They are not the end-all-be-all list of what I'd consider, so make a suggestion if you'd like.

·
Registered
681 Posts
One of my best friends just raves about his SV650. He uses it for commuting all the time and usually chooses to ride it over his 1000cc bike. I don't have much experience myself but I think in a year or two I'd be very comfortable moving up to a 600+ cc bike. When the time comes, it'll be the V-Twins I'm looking at. Not the inline-4s.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A friend of mine rides an SV and has nothing but good things to say about it. There's a ton of them on the road but only a handful used ever on craiglist. That's a good endorsement. They have a really nice range if you're touring through places where it's a long haul between gas stations. Can't comment first hand as my only big bike was a Nighthawk 750 (inline 4). Bullet-proof and no valve adjustments needed ever; oil-air cooled which makes it simpler and less vulnerable to malfunction but carbureted and therefore very cold natured if it's winter and you haven't ridden it for a month, kind of high center of gravity to. Very, very comfortable with a Corbin saddle on long cruises. Used ones still turn up from time to time. You can put 100,000 miles on those things.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I want to buy either a 675 Daytona, or Street Triple when I upgrade.

Narrow, torque-y, high revs. The best of both (V-twin and Inline 4) worlds.

Though an older (a generation or two back from current offerings) Ducati or Aprilia full-fairing bike in the 700-800cc range might be tempting as well if the price is right ($12,000 or less).

I want to have a unique bike with a bit more speed that will be fun around a track. Japanese bikes are definitely more advanced with regards to power and speed, but are a dime a dozen. American bikes are, well, "Murican", and don't generally perform as well in the twisties (like everything else made in America) as their European and Asian counterparts. Ducati and Aprilia will have the issue with parts expense more so than any of the others, where Triumph may not be as bad. I would say BMW but they don't have a full fairing <800cc bike intended for track use, and the parts prices would likely be just as high as the Italians.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I had a Black 955i Daytona I got new in 98, lovely bike.. bit of a porker but carried its weight well. Did trackdays, 60,000 hard charging kilometers on it, lots of squiding with 4th gear wheelies, stoppies and general mayhem, even won a street meet at the 200m drags against fireblades and R1's.

And alot of miles on an 08 Speed triple that we've hung a supercharger on the side of.
Love Trumpies.. there is no better sound.

If I was interested in a bigger bike.. which I'm not anymore for fear of my licence, (and had so many big bores I want to get back to my roots of motorcycling on a small single) It would Be a 675R Daytona.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
There is something about the balance of a triple that is just right.. one piston in the middle with one each side... feels like a single with the power of a 4cyl.

Just can never get used to riding Ducati V twins.. they fight me and have a mind of their own. but the 1098/1198S is one sexy thing.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is a really, really difficult question to answer.
It depends greatly on what you want out of your bike.

Is it going to be daily transportation? Long rides? Simply for romping around on? Need to carry luggage?
A bike with race ergos might be too uncomfortable for everyday travel & slow in town traffic.
A bike that's more upright might be perfect for town/distance but may leave you wishing for a more aggressive stance in the twisties.

It's all about compromise.
First figure out the main use. Then figure out the brand & model and all that.

If I won the Lotto & didn't have to find a compromise I would have three bikes sitting in my garage.

1. 250R for commuting & errands
2. BMW F800ST for traveling long distance with everything + the kitchen sink coming along with me :D
3. Buell 1190RS for when the little devil on my right shoulder wins over the angel on my left shoulder.

But for the time being, the 250 does enough of what the other two do so I'm good.

You also might want to consider insurance and maintenance costs.
600cc bikes with a "RR" are expensive to insure.
The higher the horse power, the sooner you'll be shopping for a new rear tire.

If they were still being made I would suggest a Buell XB.
Air cooled push rod engine costs less to service than the 250R. They are extremely easy to work on yourself and require no valve adjustment. No rear wheel alignment. No belt adjustment (no chain = no chain lube) Insurance isn't bad and they have a power band to die for. Not as fast as a 600cc bike over 90mph but below that it'll kick even a liter bike's butt.
They can be found used pretty cheap. Especially in winter.

The good news is that you have plenty of time to make this decision. Right now enjoy the 250. Over the next year or so you'll get a better understanding of what you want and don't want depending on your own personal style that you're developing (whether you realize it or not).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I haven't ridden one but I like the way the SV650 sits better than the Ninja650. Excellent tank/ fairing/ windscreen on the faired version. Still 40% cheaper than a 600. If 70hp isn't enough then you are doing too many 60mph wheelies.
I was tossing up on an SV650 or the CBR250R...in the end the 250 fuel miser got my dollar for the commuter role I was after. I don't regret it one bit...for city riding, it matches it with anything. But how good is that Suzie V-twin exhaust note!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
My next step up/down/sideways is a bike thats probably going to slower than my wheelbarrow and it arrived at the shop today...
A Graphite black August built cbr250r ABS.

This will be the first of about 50 new bikes in my life Ive never even test rode before pulling the trigger...
mebbe then I can make a million 'lets sue honda ! it vibrates like a single and it cant change from 6th to first in one go' threads lol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I drove 860 miles to buy my Red CBR 250R. 860 miles from 11:45AM to 5:30 AM the next morning in a 19 year old pickup truck. About $135 in fuel at today's prices.
I could ride the same distance on $35 in fuel on the CBR, but definitely not in the same amount of time at age 60.
The truck will hold about $110 worth of fuel. The CBR about $11.
As sendler stated in another post, the CBR is the only bike that will beat his car, an early Honda Insight, in fuel mileage. I had an Insight and averaged 67 MPG for over 30k miles.
If I ride the CBR 37k miles it will take 440 gallons of fuel.
The truck would take 1900 gallons of fuel.
The difference in fuel used pays for the bike in full.
My first bike was a 1973 Kawasaki 900, gas was 37 cents a gallon.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ive still got an RZ500 and it uses about as much as your truck.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Mpg

the CBR is the only bike that will beat his car, an early Honda Insight, in fuel mileage. I had an Insight and averaged 67 MPG for over 30k miles.
If I ride the CBR 37k miles it will take 440 gallons of fuel.
I agree and would hope most people will learn how to ride their CBR250R to get the most out of it and just stick with it rather than getting a bigger bike. The 250 will get 75mpgUS (easily, I get 87) and the SV650 is the next best of the larger bikes at 55. The BMWs also get great economy but unless you need to ride two up all the time, I hope everybody will make a statement and stick with the Honda.

·
745 Posts
I like the BMW F800R - naked bike with good handling and (I think) good looks. BMW reliability, decent mileage, and the ability to add whatever luggage you want if you want to take a trip.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's my list:
Aprilia Mana GT
Honda VFR 1200
Triumph Thruxton
Royal Enfield C5 yes the new one!
Early '70s Honda CB 750 four

....will probably own the 250 forever!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Right now - almost any other bike other than the CBR250R would be a down-grade, as it wouldn't be able to match my needs as well as the little 250R in terms of initial price, cheap insurance, fuel economy, fuel-injection, weight, handling ability, cheap parts, single-cylinder simplicity, easy to work on/perform maintenance, etc.

Having said that - and being a motorcycle nut since my teens - I always yearned for the bike that most reviewers identified as being the most fun. These are the guys that ride lots of bikes (including many that lack character). Which ones do they say are simply "the most fun" to ride? The most smiles per mile? The one that stood out in these reviews over the years and kept appearing on these lists based on my experience was the Suzuki SV650(S).

Friends often ask me "What would you select as your next bike?". I typically say "nothing". But more recently, I wondered if I could find a bike that could come as close to meeting my needs as the CBR250R with the least amount of drawbacks (revisit the list from above). Not sure I've found it - but this one comes close: The 690 Duke.

CMG Online - Canadian Motorcycle Guide - KTM 690 Duke

Displacement: 650cc
Engine: Liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, fuel-injected
Wet Weight: 365 lbs
Hp: 65
Torque: 49 ft-lbs
Fuel economy:
Regular Riding? 60 mpg (U.S) 72 mpg (Imp)
Hard Riding? 50 mpg (U.S) 60 mpg (Imp)

I really don't like the look though. If they re-clad it in supersport clothing - that might do it for me.

What about a purely emotional purchase - either because you just always wanted one, or you just love the look of it?

1984 VF500F Interceptor (this was the bike that I first wanted...badly).
Pre-2002 VFR800 (I would just fire it up in my garage to listen to the gear-driven cams).

Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
I want a Guzzi V7 Classic. Keeping my 250r no matter what though.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Sorry to be so indulgent with the pics but this is at the top of my list. Ride a Guzzi and you will love it or hate it. Ridden a Grizo a couple of times...awesome. Believe it or not the ergos are almost exactly the same as my cbr250. The reviews on it are very praise worthy as well.

I like some of the other suggestions too though bmw f800r, moto guzzi v7, ktm and especially '84 vfr500. You people have superior taste in cylces. Of course, that is why you own the cbr250!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was tossing up on an SV650 or the CBR250R...in the end the 250 fuel miser got my dollar for the commuter role I was after. I don't regret it one bit...for city riding, it matches it with anything. But how good is that Suzie V-twin exhaust note!
Funny that you mention that, as most folks on the SVRider forum tend to rate the stock SV pipe as sounding abysmal. :eek:

I had an SV650SA for a year, and although it was a very nice bike, I found the comfort element on the bike lacking for my size (i.e., the wheelbase length tends to lend itself to fitting folks >6 foot a little better than my 5'6" stature could appreciate).

Performance wise though, zero complaints (well, ok, I'm a little greedy - gas mileage could have been a little better, but that's pretty much what one should expect with anything over 500cc). :)

What I'd like to see (while I'm dreaming) is a Ninja 400 with ABS. The SV had pretty much more power than was generally usable (by those of us attempting to maintain sanity), and the CBR250 could use a bit more oomph. To me 400cc's seems about ideal, and the Ninja 650's ergos (same exact body on the 400) are pretty sweet (i.e., it's much more comfortable for ME than the SV was; each user will differ of course).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts