Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 07 ninja and was able to sit on the CBR today. It was the newest tri-colored one. I did'nt like the colors at all. Compared to my ninja the seat was as hard as a rock and the riding position was much more aggressive. Probably a blast to ride but I'm much more comfortable on the ninja.

I really wanted a CBR when I first become aware of them. I bought the Ninja because it was right down the road and cost me next to nothing. I'm glad it worked out that way because I don't think the ergonomics of the CBR would have agreed with me. If Honda ever brings the dual sport version of the CBR to America, I would be very interested.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Funny how personal perspective makes such a difference.

I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to compare the Ninja to the CBR side by side at a Honda/Kawi dealer. While I probably don't have the a$$ of a true connoisseur, I got the impression the cbr was slightly softer (not that it matters -- I'll be moving to a Corbin sooner or later). Could the fact that your seat has had five years of breaking in have made a difference?
As for the riding posture, I found them to be virtually identical. Perhaps part of the '08 re-design had something to do with that (and yours is an '07?).

Color is neither here nor there... everyone has their own preference, and they buy what makes *them* happy... as it should be.

In any case, enjoy your Ninja... they obviously were doing something right to maintain the 250 crown for so long...

...til now...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
almost jumped ship to the ninja just or spite after having to wait 3 months to receive my cbr last summer..glad i waited...65-85 miles per gallon on the cbr compared to 45-60 on the ninja..no brainer to me..also the tri-color just doesn't move me...looking at my red/silver still makes me feel like a giddy 16 year old ...the black never raised my blood pressure either...all boils down to personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I sat on a pre gen Ninja after riding the new gen for a month when my daughter wanted me to buy another bike for her to ride. The pre gen is much smaller everywhere. I ended up buying the CBR250R for my second bike. She adopted the 09 Ninja. I rode it around a loop yesterday to check it over after it's winter hibernation. I still like the Honda much better.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/2917-danmoto-exhausts-new-post.html

·
Registered
532 Posts
For me, the two big reasons I went Honda were:

1. Fuel Injected vs Carbed
2. ABS vs not having it as an option

As a beginner, ABS was something I felt was a requirement, as I figure it will end up saving me at least once. I know with my car, no matter how often I threshold brake, there has been at least a number of times over the past few years I had to floor the pedal due to the insanity in front of me and hope for the best (eg. people running reds, cars turning right while I am 3/4th through an intersection already, people stopping dead for a squirrel, etc). I know you can't maneuver using ABS on a bike like a car, but anything that removes locking the tires and going down is something I felt was very important, to me at least.

Had they both had the above, it would have been more of a toss up. Looking at the two, I do find the Honda better looking than the Kawi, but then that's just me (and everyone's opinion will vary) -- However the two things I did like about the Ninja was the proper fuel cap (pop-up, and could support a ring-lock tank bag), and the fact it's swingarm is threaded for spools (still don't know what Honda was thinking on that one).

·
Registered
171 Posts
My Kawa dealer had the CBR and Ninja side by side. I thought the seated position on the Ninja was more comfortable. I still bought the CBR - fuel injection and better gas mileage sold me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
almost jumped ship to the ninja just or spite after having to wait 3 months to receive my cbr last summer..glad i waited...65-85 miles per gallon on the cbr compared to 45-60 on the ninja..no brainer to me..also the tri-color just doesn't move me...looking at my red/silver still makes me feel like a giddy 16 year old ...the black never raised my blood pressure either...all boils down to personal preference i guess.
+1000000000

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I own an 07 ninja and was able to sit on the CBR today. It was the newest tri-colored one. I did'nt like the colors at all. Compared to my ninja the seat was as hard as a rock and the riding position was much more aggressive. Probably a blast to ride but I'm much more comfortable on the ninja.

I really wanted a CBR when I first become aware of them. I bought the Ninja because it was right down the road and cost me next to nothing. I'm glad it worked out that way because I don't think the ergonomics of the CBR would have agreed with me. If Honda ever brings the dual sport version of the CBR to America, I would be very interested.
I almost bought an '07 Ninja due to the low price but the overall appearance of the 2007 Ninja and the 2011 CBR is very different. The CBR looks WAY better, fuel injected, and better mileage. The 2007 Ninja was a b**** to start and looked rundown. I may be bias now but prior to owning a bike, I was just searching for the best option and that led to purchasing the CBR.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've ridden all three and owned a 2009 Ninja 250 and currently own a 2011 CBR250R.

Just rode my friend's 2005 Ninja 250 yesterday. It sits lower than the other two bikes. I find the CBR250R to fit me the best. The old ninja is a real screamer. You have to rev the crap out of it if you want it to go. Fun, but I don't think it suits me for everyday use. I also just feel cramped on it. But it's still a nice bike. At least it has a temp gauge and reserve unlike the new Ninja 250.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For me it was the CBR's FI, gage cluster, fuel economy, styling, and price. My '12 CBR250 was $700 less than the same year ninja next to it. I thought I wanted black for a while but then when I saw a tricolor I decided I rather have a bike with a cool color/style and something more visible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've ridden all three and owned a 2009 Ninja 250 and currently own a 2011 CBR250R.

Just rode my friend's 2005 Ninja 250 yesterday. It sits lower than the other two bikes. I find the CBR250R to fit me the best. The old ninja is a real screamer. You have to rev the crap out of it if you want it to go. Fun, but I don't think it suits me for everyday use. I also just feel cramped on it. But it's still a nice bike. At least it has a temp gauge and reserve unlike the new Ninja 250.
I think I felt more cramped on the CBR than I do on my ninja but I'd have to ride one to be sure. I did'nt notice any difference in height between the two. I just remember thinking how rock hard the seat felt and how hunched over you are compared to the previous generation ninja (07 and earlier).

You do have to rev the heck out of the ninja which makes you feel like you are racing around every time you ride. I've owned a handful of 250 bikes and it's easily the best 250 for the highway... if you don't mind the little engine turning at 8000-10,000 rpms.

It's a great commuter. Every 250 bike I've used for commuting cost me about $10 a week in gas.so none of them distinguish themselves from the others in that category. The ninja is fun if you like revving and racing around. If you want a more relaxed ride there are probably better options.

I'm thinking of a klx250sm as my next bike although the tiny gas tank is a real deal breaker. My ninja has a huge tank, once a week is all I need to stop.. With the KLX, I'll be stopping every other day... Not sure how much of a pain that will be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My ninja is fun to ride, and looks better than the cbr. but carbs - wtf? on a 2008 bike?
pretty comfortable to ride.

looking forward to the cbr for no-hassle morning starts and some insane MPG. also apparently they are much better "around town" bikes. more torque down low.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought a 2012 Ninja... (he was waiting on the CBR -- but, he's not a real good "waiter"). He couldn't be happier... (no, actually, he'd probably be happier if he didn't drop it the day after delivery). He likes the revving... likes the feel. Has no regrets at all...
Also doesn't mind the carbs... (however, I'm wondering what difference that makes during service - $$$?).

·
Registered
154 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought a 2012 Ninja... (he was waiting on the CBR -- but, he's not a real good "waiter"). He couldn't be happier... (no, actually, he'd probably be happier if he didn't drop it the day after delivery). He likes the revving... likes the feel. Has no regrets at all...
Also doesn't mind the carbs... (however, I'm wondering what difference that makes during service - $$$?).
In all honesty I dont see how anyone who bought either bike 2012 could possibly have any regrets. Both bikes are awesome. I like to describe them as this; a ninja250 is a 250 trying to be a 500/600. A CBR250 is a 250 embracing what it is, so you get better mpg, torque, smaller, etc. Both bikes are guilty of being great starter bikes that make people want to buy a second bike sooner than later (if its your first bike).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts