Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Been lurking here since I bought my 2011 CBR250R last summer. I traded in my 2008 Ninja250R for it and couldn't be happier. The Ninja was a nice bile, but it was the only decent 250 sportbike in town when I got it. Never liked the fact that it had carbs and no low-end torque. I don't do a lot of riding at red line, so I wasn't enjoying the bike's full potential, but then I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years either. It also felt very cramped for my 6' frame.
The CBR250R solved all those problems and then some. Now when I return from a ride I congratulate myself for finding the perfect 250 sportbike that fits ALL of my needs. My Ninjette was heavily modified, but I'm keeping the CBR as stock as possible with the exception of eliminating the rear fender. Now that I've broken it in I find I much prefer the throaty growl and eager personality of the single cylinder to the Ninja's twin.
This is a GREAT bike and one that will no doubt spawn a whole new generation of motorcyclists!

·
Registered
341 Posts
As someone who may very soon do the Ninjette to CBR transition, good to hear!

What part of New England? I grew up in CT but escaped to the dirty south 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Central Massachusetts just west of Worcester. Great riding out here. Nice 2-lane roads with lots to see. Perfect for the CBR.
Go for the CBR. You won't regret it. It's the bike I really wanted when I bought the Ninja, but we had very limited options in the 250 sportbike category at the time.
Options are good!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah I ended up with a Ninja more out of impatience than anything else, there just weren't any CBRs available when I was in the market and I'm an instant gratification kind of guy.

Been through the Wooooster area more times than I can count, my sister went to college in North Andover then lived in the Boston area for about 5 years before settling in New Hampshire so I have a lot of Mass Pike time under my belt. Moving south was the best thing that ever happened to me but now that I'm on 2 wheels I'm really wishing I could get back to NE to do some riding...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Welcome aboard matey.

I used to own a 250 Ninja (UK FI model) and I much prefer my CBR 250R to that. Whilst it's not as quick at the top end of the rev range, it's quicker through the rest of it, and it's much more torquey low down, making it much more of a pleasure for everyday riding. It's cheaper to run as well. Glad you're enjoying yours.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm from JP and then moved to Roslindale.

My mother taught @ Bentley for 12 years and my father taught @ Bryant College for 10.

Go Sox!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings TrueFaith,

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your New cbr. More smiles to the miles in your Future.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody! Great to be here as a member finally. I hope I can contribute to the knowledge database. I got my motorcycle license in 1982 and my first bike was a 250cc, a Yamaha 250 Exciter. Traded that in after a couple of years for my favorite bike ever, the 1984 Yamaha Seca 400. That was one hell of a 400. Way ahead of it's time in styling and a real head-turner:

I've been on and off different bikes through the years, but I've always preferred the nimble and lightweight sub-600cc category. When Kawasaki came out with the New-Gen Ninja250 I bought the first one my local bike shop got. Modded it like crazy, but it really bugged me that it still had carbs even if they were drilled and shimmed.
Here's what my Ninjette looked like just before I traded it in for my CBR250R last spring:

It was a nice enough bike and a real screamer, but I've always preferred Yamahas and Hondas to Kawasakis. So when the bike shop got in their first and only CBR250 I was there with deposit in hand and a Ninja to trade that had held it's value well. I rode it home the next day:

I gotta say I'm lovin' the CBR250R way more than the Ninja 250 and almost as much as my Seca 400. It has all the power of that old 400cc engine with the new technology, is a heck of a lot lighter and even more fun in the twisties.
Great to be here among other CBR250R owners and fans!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Dat Ninja

:eek::D:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the forum and its great your so happy with your new Honda. I thought about buying the ninga buy didnt want to deal with carbs again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I am so happy w/o carbs.

The newer Ninjas didn't come with temp gauges. I had to throw and aftermarket one on myself.:/

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am going back and forth between the cbr and the ninja. The ninja is nice in that used availability is good.

No doubt the cbr has a ton of up sides. Drivability and MPG for sure. The main reason for getting a new bike is my highway commute. I am on a klx250 which gets darn windy on the highway unless I am tucked but that position on a dirt bike is not great.

From what I have read the only significant upside to the ninja may be the ability to do highway just a little better.

Please no bashing but comments are greatly appreciated. Just a note, I am keeping the klx which is great. Commuting aside from the highway is fun and dirt roads are a blast. My MPG is a solid 65 and 70 last fill.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Since you've owned both bikes you should create a venn diagram including each bike and sticky it on the forum.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome and that was definitely a beautiful ninja you had. I also looked at both and decided on the cbr. I never actually rode a ninja so I can't say anything about it other than specs on paper but I'm loving my CBR!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts