Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Currently stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for my wife to pick me up with the truck. However, I wanted to get some advice from folks here to see your thoughts on what the issue could be.

My problem is power. I was riding with some friends when all of a sudden the throttle stops responding and the dash flashes with the odometer going from 0 to 45 back to 0 then to 35 and so forth, then it shuts down. This happened once before in same ride but jump starting it fixed it. Now jump starting it doesn't work, it wants to start but then electrical seems to go haywire and motor shuts off.

I have checked all fuses, no issue from what I can see. I have reseated the battery connectors, did nothing. I have unplugged a few cables and cleaned them as best as I could in my situation and still nothing.

Currently I turn key, no power to dash whatsoever. If I jump start I can get motor going but electrical goes haywire and everything shuts off.

Anyone have any advice on what could be the issue or where to start troubleshooting?

2012 Honda cbr250r

Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say you have a completely dead battery. Which explains why jump starting won't keep it running. The bikes battery has to have power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had to guess, I'd say you have a completely dead battery. Which explains why jump starting won't keep it running. The bikes battery has to have power.
Hi MotoMike, thank you. I checked the battery and it was around 10.57. I went and purchased a new one, letting it charge, I will test tomorrow. hopefully that was the only issue, I appreciate the advice. I will report back once I install it and attempt to start her up!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hi MotoMike, thank you. I checked the battery and it was around 10.57. I went and purchased a new one, letting it charge, I will test tomorrow. hopefully that was the only issue, I appreciate the advice. I will report back once I install it and attempt to start her up!
That's almost completely discharged. A fully charged 12V battery should read 12.7V or more.

A new battery should get you going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MotoMike, I got a question for you. So you were spot on about battery (thank you), but what about the alternator (forget the term for motorcycle)? Any cheap ways of testing my alternator? When bike was running, my reading was 14.30, so I am guessing it's working? Any suggestions on that part? I am trying to avoid being stuck in middle of nowhere again but not spend an arm and leg on diagnostics and parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's almost completely discharged. A fully charged 12V battery should read 12.7V or more.

A new battery should get you going.
The new battery did do the trick! Just curious about the alternator for motorcycle. How do I know that isn't bad and I just ran the battery dead because it wasn't getting a charge? I want to do the same route again but worried this will just happen again if it's not just the battery that's the culprit.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The new battery did do the trick! Just curious about the alternator for motorcycle. How do I know that isn't bad and I just ran the battery dead because it wasn't getting a charge? I want to do the same route again but worried this will just happen again if it's not just the battery that's the culprit.
You'll need a volt meter.

Check the voltage before starting. It should be around 12.7V.

Then start it up and let it idle. It should read higher, like 13.5V.

Then take the revs to 5000. It should read just over 14V.

Those are estimates, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll need a volt meter.

Check the voltage before starting. It should be around 12.7V.

Then start it up and let it idle. It should read higher, like 13.5V.

Then take the revs to 5000. It should read just over 14V.

Those are estimates, but you get the idea.
Thank you for the quick reply. I did all that, the only thing I didn't do was the rev. Battery fully charged was 13. When I ran the bike after installing new battery, the volt meter showed 14.70 as the reading. So since those numbers are up there with yours, does that mean I should be ok?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Sounds like the charging system is working properly.

Batteries just quit without warning.

I once drove to a local store, shopped for 10 minutes, and when I came back out the battery was totally dead - nothing, not even a dome light.

You should be good now.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you, and your back up and running.

Another thing to consider where your battery is concerned, and to get a much longer life span out of you new battery, I'd recommend using a Battery Tender during the off season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad it all worked out for you, and your back up and running.

Another thing to consider where your battery is concerned, and to get a much longer life span out of you new battery, I'd recommend using a Battery Tender during the off season.
California doesn't have an off season though :) But when I move to Texas I will indeed keep that in mind. Thank you. Appreciate the quick response when I posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts