Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up 2012 250r. 2800miles
Bike has been vandalized and ignition picked.
I have a new ignition with wires that are different color, however I did hook it up in a way that when ignition is "ON"
All lights, blinkers, etc works bike cranks but thats about it.

I am getting no voltage to the injector
And I am not getting spark because I sprayed carb cleaner to the intake with out luck so that leads me to believe I don't have neither.

Could it be a bad ECU?
I don't think its bad compression at 2800 miles.

Any help or direction is much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
6,934 Posts
Is the new ignition switch an OEM Honda part made for the CBR250R? If it is, it shouldn't have wires of a different color from that of the original switch.

Do you hear the fuel pump operating when you first turn the key to the run/on position?

Another possibility is that you've got a broken or cut wire somewhere in the main harness, causing the no spark condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks Moto Mike,
Switch is a Chinese knock off.
I hear the fuel pump buzz
Fuel cut relay? or would it cut off power to the pump as well?
However I did manage to turn OEM Ignition switch with pliers and same effect.

And so the fun begins...

·
Registered
4 Posts
THanks Moto Mike,
Switch is a Chinese knock off.
I hear the fuel pump buzz
Fuel cut relay? or would it cut off power to the pump as well?
However I did manage to turn OEM Ignition switch with pliers and same effect.

And so the fun begins...
Hi Mate
Did you sort the issue out ? I have a similar fault Fuel Pump relay is not switching and I dont have spark...Bike turns cranks and i have all the other power required ?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hi Mate
Did you sort the issue out ? I have a similar fault Fuel Pump relay is not switching and I dont have spark...Bike turns cranks and i have all the other power required ?
Have you changed the ignition switch? Did you check all the fuses?

I don't think a malfunctioning clutch or sidestand switches would do what you described.

Always confirm battery voltage is correct as well (over 12.7 before cranking).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ,
I picked the bike up at an Auction not running , The ignition switch installed I believe is not a Genuine switch so at some stage that has been changed ,Basically I have all the power in the correct places to the fuel pump relay and ignition coil ..but I am not receiving a feed from the (ECM) PGM-FI unit pin Number 8 Brown wire, I changed the unit with a second hand one and still have the same issue still yet to check continuity through the brown wire from the PGM-FI unit to the fuel pump relay base but will tonight .Alternatively Im thinking along the lines of the BAS sensor ? Looking at the diagram i wouldn't think the Side stand switch would cut the ignition , but would the starter circuit ?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Have you located the tip-over sensor near the headlight?

There was another member that had an issue (don't recall the specifics) and unplugged the sensor - which allowed it to run.

So the ignition switch is not an OEM unit? If that's the case there may be a resistor required that isn't present.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you changed the ignition switch? Did you check all the fuses?

I don't think a malfunctioning clutch or sidestand switches would do what you described.

Always confirm battery voltage is correct as well (over 12.7 before cranking).
Yeah mate I located it i cant find a diagram to Bypass it yet but will try that tonight ..all the fuses are fine Battery freshly charged

thanks

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah mate I located it i cant find a diagram to Bypass it yet but will try that tonight ..all the fuses are fine Battery freshly charged

thanks
Other members just unplugged it, and that worked - which surprises me.

Just one note on the battery - even though it has been charged it still may not hold adequate voltage. Best to check it after sitting overnight (should be 12.7V or more) and then during cranking (should be over 10V) to confirm it is indeed operating at 100%.

Many chargers can show a "green light" but the battery is not fully functional.

A battery on the edge can give all sorts of odd starting and running problems. May not be the case here, but just good to do some additional checks to confirm all is well.

It's still possible the non-OEM ignition is causing the problem. I'm pretty sure built-in theft deterrents do what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate,
pretty sure you are correct !
the OEM ignition has a zener Diode in it to reduce the voltage down to 9 Volts ,Anti theft just like you said , the Chinese ignition supply's 12 volts , Ive ordered new OEM ignition .The pink wire doesn't exist on any wiring diagram I could find for the CBR250 ..but i did find it on the CBR 300 Haynes diagrams .Also unplugging the tip sensor introduces a DTC 54 ..this also required voltage reduction to register correctly so not so easy to bypass .
When i get the new bits I ill update ..Thanks for you thoughts ..I hope the 12Volt feed hasn't damaged the (ECM) PGM-FI unit !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts