Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Only way to fix that is to weld up cam journals to fill up low spots. Then machine back down to factory spec and polish. Places that make custom cams can do that work for you. Count on about $600-800 per cam.

Then you'd still need to repair cam carrier and caps. Same process, but I'm not sure if it can be done on aluminium. Never heard of anyone being able to fix that. And you'd have to align-bore it at end so all holes are straight.

Extremely difficult and even Honda messed up this process in beginning. Search for "VF750 chocolate cams" for all the trouble they went through to try and fix. Couldn't ever do properly and ultimate solution was all new design, the gear-driven cams on VFR750.

Sorry, best option is used engine from breakers. You haven't even taken bottom-end apart yet, I'm sure there's similar horrors awaiting you there as well.

BTW, 300 engine will fit.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
This is what I found bro the intake camshaft is really scratched and the surface where I lay the in cam is scratched badly too.
View attachment 45651
Well, that pretty much confirms what we expected. There's no way to repair that efficiently, and the bearing surface where it rides is critical as well. The cam and head are junk.

The next thing to check is the bottom end, and as we have discussed, it does take removal of the covers to access the screen that would be holding the particles. Look up the procedure in a Service Manual before you start. You really don’t have much to lose at this point.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts