Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just bought a 2013 honda cbr250r from a friend of mine he pressure washed it now it has no spark has been sitting for a few months now untuched till i got it he got a used coil but may have hooked it up wrong any one can help would be greatly Appreciated

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,075 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry but, It is difficult here in the forum to give answers to complex problems. Troubleshooting is one of the things that requires the most knowledge and experience, the technical literature does not always have all the answers. I'm personally a fan of mechanics, it's not my profession, I'm also a student here. It will be easier for me to help you if you focus me on a certain question?

For example:
You ask how do you check that the coil is working good? Or what electrical wires goes to where at the coil terminals (which color wire connects to where)?

Of course I don't know you, but maybe this tip will help:
Your progress in solving your problem depends on your abilities, your budget, and the free time you have. Otherwise, it is better to contact a qualified mechanic in your area (This is usually the cheapest and fastest solution).

· Registered
1,075 Posts
does any one know what wire goes where and what the coil shuld ohm out to i will start there
I suggest you check the battery first. It often happens with amateur mechanics, it happened to me too, that they neglect the battery test, then start chasing a problem that doesn't exist and replace parts without it being necessary.
All three battery tests are performed on the battery terminals with a voltmeter:
  1. The voltage after charging should not drop below 12.7V.
  2. Measure volt drop when starting, and the voltage should not drop below 10V.
  3. And if the engine starts, then measure voltage at idle rpm and it should be ~13.9V.

Regarding the coil (I have no experience), it's only according to the Hodas book chapter 18.
  • The peak voltage on output (the plug side) should be 100V Min. 💀☠You can be electrocuted☠💀, so you have to approach this test very carefully. For this measurement you need a quality voltmeter with impedance of 10M ohms/DCV
  • The voltage on the input terminals should be the battery voltage? approximately 12.7V?
  • If during start-up (while cranking) the voltage on the input terminals drops by 2-4V it is not good...then You need to check the wires backwards (this is not a problem with the coil).

One coil wire is light green, it is connected on his other side to the ECM. It's the ground.
The black/blue wire is the voltage wire.

It is not written at Hondas book, if it is important to connect the two wires in the right order? You need to check if one of the coil terminals is shorted to the coil metal bracket, if it is shorted then you need to connect the ground there (the light green wire). According to my understanding, the light colםr coil terminal connects to the green light wire

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi i just bought a 2013 honda cbr250r from a friend of mine he pressure washed it now it has no spark has been sitting for a few months now untuched till i got it he got a used coil but may have hooked it up wrong any one can help would be greatly Appreciated
So what
Thank you i am thinking since they have the cpil half way put in lol does any one know what wire goes where and what the coil shuld ohm out to i will start there
Finger Wood Wrist Jewellery Thumb

Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire Wire

Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire Wire

Thank you i am thinking since they have the cpil half way put in lol does any one know what wire goes where and what the coil shuld ohm out to i will start there
The black 3 prong does not show any reading no connection no ohams nithing it is in the fuze box next to the fuzes what is it and what does it controol ?
I suggest you check the battery first. It often happens with amateur mechanics, it happened to me too, that they neglect the battery test, then start chasing a problem that doesn't exist and replace parts without it being necessary.
All three battery tests are performed on the battery terminals with a voltmeter:
  1. The voltage after charging should not drop below 12.7V.
  2. Measure volt drop when starting, and the voltage should not drop below 10V.
  3. And if the engine starts, then measure voltage at idle rpm and it should be ~13.9V.

Regarding the coil (I have no experience), it's only according to the Hodas book chapter 18.
  • The voltage on output (the plug side) should be around 100V. 💀☠You can be electrocuted☠💀, so you have to approach this test very carefully. I have no idea how this measurement is take. It is a voltage that is applied for a fraction of a second.
  • The voltage on the input terminals should be the battery voltage? approximately 12.7V?
  • If during start-up the voltage on the input terminals drops to 2-4V it is not good...then You need to check the wires backwards (this is not a problem with the coil).

One coil wire is light green, it is connected on his other side to the ECM. It's the ground.
The black/blue wire is the voltage wire.

It is not written at Hondas book, if it is important to connect the two wires in the right order? They are both connected to the coil, so I assume/guess there shouldn't be a difference.
Thank you i put a new battery in it checked stop switch and it has power to the coil at both wires the green wire and black with blue stripe ohm coil and get 2.1 at both black wire hookup and green but nothing from the wire to spark plug

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't really understand what you wrote.
You need to check if one of the coil terminals is shorted to the coil metal bracket, if it is shorted then you need to connect the ground there (the light green wire).
And the rust needs to be cleaned.

I will try to check what the instructions are in the English Haynes manual, and if I find more explanations there I will update.
One of the first investments a hobbyist should make is purchasing the motorcycle's technical literature, I recommend you do that. There are two books. Honda's, and Haynes's.

Automotive tire Gas Machine Motor vehicle Auto part

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Get an update, indeed in the Haynes manual, at Section 18, page 4*2 and 4*25, I found additional tests (later on I will also added drawings):
Haynes' figures refer to the European model and not to the US model, in my opinion there is no difference, but I recommend that you do another check on this matter.
  • Coil primary winding resistance ~2.5ohms
  • Coil secondary winding resistance ~27-30Kohms (Coil + Cabel + Plug cup)
  • Only Plug Cup resistance ~5Kohms
And they also recommend a general test that is good for most motorcycles, a spark test with a special tool [spark plug tester], according to this test:
  • If at a distance of 6 millimeters the spark is strong and clear blue, then the entire system related to the spark is OK.
Link to aliexpress
CBR250R plug cap adapted to a plug head without the adapter (just the screw), so I don't know if the tool that the link refers to is suitable for us (It doesn't cleer there if the adapter can screws out).
Line Automotive lighting Font Rectangle Symbol

Font Automotive exterior Rectangle Parallel Technology

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what

View attachment 46024
View attachment 46023
View attachment 46023

The black 3 prong does not show any reading no connection no ohams nithing it is in the fuze box next to the fuzes what is it and what does it controol ?

Thank you i put a new battery in it checked stop switch and it has power to the coil at both wires the green wire and black with blue stripe ohm coil and get 2.1 at both black wire hookup and green but nothing from the wire to spark plug
Also the last owner had the green wire on the black post and blackwire with blue stripe on the green post View attachment 46031
Sorry, I couldn't really understand what you wrote.
You need to check if one of the coil terminals is shorted to the coil metal bracket, if it is shorted then you need to connect the ground there (the light green wire).
And the rust needs to be cleaned.

I will try to check what the instructions are in the English Haynes manual, and if I find more explanations there I will update.
One of the first investments a hobbyist should make is purchasing the motorcycle's technical literature, I recommend you do that. There are two books. Honda's, and Haynes's.

View attachment 46032
I am getting the honda Manual but I won't be here for 2 weeks I found out that the green is negalive and the black with blue stripe is the hot And with the coil not hooked up power is only on the hot but hook up the coil and both ground ie green wire has current and the black with blue stripe i am thinking i have a bad ground and bad coil so at the coil not hooked up between the black and the black ohm is 2.1 and if u go from spark plug wire to ground black connector on coil nothing same if u try to ohm spark plug wire to green what do u think ?

· Registered
1,075 Posts
I think that my drawings will help us both to understand each other better. So soon I'll upload the drawings here and we'll see if it helps.

As I said, the technical literature is the beginning, the books are not a substitute for a course in mechanics. Maybe you should consider taking such a basic course? There is a lot to know in this area. If the motorcycle is damaged, then that's how you learn from mistakes, no big dill.
But if you cause damage to your health, it can be really dangerous to the point of DEATH !!!
You should be aware of this.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that my drawings will help us both to understand each other better. So soon I'll upload the drawings here and we'll see if it helps.

As I said, the technical literature is the beginning, the books are not a substitute for a course in mechanics. Maybe you should consider taking such a basic course? There is a lot to know in this area. If the motorcycle is damaged, then that's how you learn from mistakes, no big dill.
But if you cause damage to your health, it can be really dangerous to the point of DEATH !!!
You should be aware of this.
Ok thank you

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Ok thank you
I'm tried to reading Honda's explanation page 18-5. This page is written strangely. I took a challenge to try to make a flow schema from this page and I think it also turned out strangely. I am attaching for your judgment the two pages, the original from Honda, and the one that I tried to arrange a little better (and I'm not sure if I succeeded):
Font Parallel Number Pattern Document
Font Rectangle Parallel Art Illustration

• Wow
  • Helpful
Reactions: goool89 and Mory

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm tried to reading Honda's explanation page 18-5. This page is written strangely. I took a challenge to try to make a flow schema from this page and I think it also turned out strangely. I am attaching for your judgment the two pages, the original from Honda, and the one that I tried to arrange a little better (and I'm not sure if I succeeded):
View attachment 46038 View attachment 46039
Thank you that is exactly what i was saying and i found out what was wrong it is up and running now lol it was 3 things the diode at the Ignition Was reading too low Replaced it and on the diode that is inside the spark plug boot And replace the diode at the fuse Box

1 - 13 of 13 Posts