Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The discussion topic of non-ethanol gasoline recently came up on the CBR300 forum. It's probably been posted here in the past, but I thought it worthy of a new thread (which I've made as a sticky).

This is a website which lists over 10,000 gas stations in the U.S. and Canada selling non-ethanol, pure gasolines...

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Ethanol-free is all I use in my cycles and small engines.

For those that aren't familiar with the issues created by ethanol in gasoline, there's a ton of info out there.

Basically, ethanol is corrosive and contains/holds water and will attack seals and some gaskets in older (pre-ethanol) engines. Because it contains/holds water, it increases the chances of rust forming in a steel gas tank.

Blending ethanol into gasoline reduces its energy, so more is required to reach an optimum air'fuel ratio. That's why you get worse mileage with ethanol-blended gas. In an engine with a carb, you get a leaner mixture which will reduce power and can cause engine damage.

There's more to it, but that's the basics. Really nothing good about blending ethanol with gasoline. I suggest avoiding it if possible.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Random gas station
Seems kinda off the wall to me. I'll try it. If it blows up my engine.... I'm comming for you MotoMike!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Ethanol is a corporate welfare issue in the US. The corporate farm lobby pushes for ethanol fuel blend mandates and ethanol subsidies, which are currently supported by both parties. Originally many environmentalists supported ethanol as a renewable fuel. Now the environmental damage and waste of ethanol production is better understood and many environmentalists are backing away from it.

Only two candidates for President in 2016 went on record prior to the Iowa Caucuses as being opposed to the ethanol lobby. The one from KY dropped out and the other one from TX is still in the race.

AMA Fuel for Thought

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
From a UK perspective these fuel companies only offer pure 100% Ethanol free Petrol.

BP Ultimate Super Unleaded Petrol.
Esso Super Unleaded Petrol.
Texaco Super Unleaded Petrol.
Total all their Petrol are ethanol free.
Murco Super Unleaded Petrol.

All these fuel are hoovering around the 97 RON which is excessive but that the only way here to ensure it free from the plague that is ethanol. I use BP Ultimate in my cars, motorcycles, garden equipment and generators.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I've been using the cheapest E10 for 30,000 miles.
I mean - it works, but it has disadvantages compared to gas without.

I run E10 in my cars, but they are F.I. and have plastic tanks. I've got a lot of older bikes that are not designed for ethanol, and don't like the idea of the moisture collection associated with ethanol in anything with a steel tank.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I just feel that the whole ethanol hate thing is way over rated for any modern vehicle. Non issue. Anyone here ever used "dry gas" fuel treatment? Basically the same thing.
I guess my problem with it is the idea that it's in some way beneficial for the environment or consumer - it's not.

It decrease miles per gallon, increasing consumption, and causes other issues. It's not beneficial. It's political.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I just feel that the whole ethanol hate thing is way over rated for any modern vehicle. Non issue. Anyone here ever used "dry gas" fuel treatment? Basically the same thing.
Energy content of E10 blend: 114,000 Btu/gal

Energy content of gasoline: 124,000 Btu/gal

That's 8% less energy from a gallon of E10 vs. non-ethanol gasoline.

That means 8% poorer fuel economy and 8% poorer range on a tank of fuel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
anyone know if there's an easy way to get some of the rust out of the tank... I mostly have it around the top :/
the [irresponsible] previous owner didn't drain the tank or keep riding it for over 6-8 months :(

I can see some around the opening... this tank has the level plate where it's hard to see down into if there's more rust; does that come out easily for inspection?

·
Registered
84 Posts
To muddle the matter even more, here are the pages from the US 2013 manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
testing of fuel in downed aircraft has reported
14% ethanol in the 'E10' used in the plane..
govt subsidies are given for every gallon
of ethanol blended into petrol..
our manual does not say 'ethanol is ok or good' etc..
'do not use petrol containing more that 10% ethanol'

if your motorcycle idles poorly, stalls out of the blue,
or uses 10% more fuel due to ethanols 10% lower power
thus self evidently not sharpest performance potential,
a mechanic will not say, your engine is 'damaged'..

AMA has come out against, mandated ethanol blending..
groups representing light aircraft, powerboat, atv etc
and individual users of engines of many types
have stated and claimed engine damage..

if, ethanol was precisely blended at 10% into petrol
i still wouldnt put it into my motorcycle fuel tank
or engine, given that pure petrol is available..

its like the wife beater claiming 'it doesnt do her any harm'
or even 'she likes it'.. depends on your perspective..

honda and other engine designers and manufacturers
are also, faced with the reality of mandated ethanol..
when rubber etc seals are shown to be damaged
by ethanol, designers either attempt to circumvent
damage or include it in scheduled maintenance..
doesnt mean they prefer it or approve of it..

the supposed environmental benefits of burning ethanol
incidentally have been exposed as incomplete and
misleading and wrong.. environmental groups etc
initially supporting blending, have backed away
or changed their position and attitude..

anyone can access these things today
via simple inet searches..
as usual, beware of deliberately
misleading propoganda from
those living off the ethanol cow..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Here in Australia, I believe all Shell stations are ethanol free (only have 91, 95, 98 and diesel). Caltex/Puma/United/BP all have E10 which contains ethanol, but also provides 91/95/98 too.

I usually just go to Shell, as I know they don't use ethanol at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's something interesting a fellow rider told me recently.

How much fuel sits in the hose at the pump? If you use a pump that shares one hose for different grades of fuel, you might find up getting two litres of regular before you start getting premium.

Ideally, you want a dedicated premium pump.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Here's something interesting a fellow rider told me recently.

How much fuel sits in the hose at the pump? If you use a pump that shares one hose for different grades of fuel, you might find up getting two litres of regular before you start getting premium.

Ideally, you want a dedicated premium pump.
I've heard that before, but I've also heard it dismissed as urban legend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard that before, but I've also heard it dismissed as urban legend.
Let's throw some math at it and see, then.

Hoses in my area are around 3m long and about 4 cm across. Assuming half the radius is the hose itself, that gives us 942 ccs of fuel, or 0.942 L. And that's just in the external hose; there will be some fuel sitting in the pump itself as well.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts