Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite an Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) that Honda claims is designed to help "provide smooth response to small changes in throttle position" this is exactly the problem I am experiencing. Ever driven in rush hour traffic and tried to maintain a constant slow speed while in first gear. It's nearly impossible without reverting to slipping the clutch. Try it! Attempt to slowly cruise at 5 or 6mph or accelerate from 3mph to 10mph and back again simulating rush hour stop and go kinda driving. The bike bucks back and forth between accelerating and decelerating in 1000 rpm intervals. Once you get some practice with this you can minimize it but it requires very minute movements of the throttle. A work-a-round is, of course, slipping the clutch but we shouldn't need a work-a-round if the IACV is doing what it is designed to do! This problem seems to be compounded by the fact that the bike demonstrates a lot of engine back-torque for a small single cylinder. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Clutch

Every vehicle with a manual transmission does that. Try driving a car at 3mph without slipping the clutch. Same thing. Bucks and stalls.
Despite an Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) that Honda claims is designed to help "provide smooth response to small changes in throttle position" this is exactly the problem I am experiencing. Ever driven in rush hour traffic and tried to maintain a constant slow speed while in first gear. It's nearly impossible without reverting to slipping the clutch. Try it! Attempt to slowly cruise at 5 or 6mph or accelerate from 3mph to 10mph and back again simulating rush hour stop and go kinda driving. The bike bucks back and forth between accelerating and decelerating in 1000 rpm intervals. Once you get some practice with this you can minimize it but it requires very minute movements of the throttle. A work-a-round is, of course, slipping the clutch but we shouldn't need a work-a-round if the IACV is doing what it is designed to do! This problem seems to be compounded by the fact that the bike demonstrates a lot of engine back-torque for a small single cylinder. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I usually just give it enough throttle to get some speed then hold the clutch in and glide. You will get much better mileage that way.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
95 Posts
on the moto course i took they teach slow speed riding ... you must slip the clutch, especially on a fuel injected engine. there is no way of negotiating tight cones/turns without slipping the clutch at slow speed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The throttle is sensitive, this is a CBR. You might get used to it and compensate with technique.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hang in there. You'll get used to it. Riding in traffic sucks no matter how you cut it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
on the moto course i took they teach slow speed riding ... you must slip the clutch, especially on a fuel injected engine. there is no way of negotiating tight cones/turns without slipping the clutch at slow speed.

I just took a 21 hour riding course myself. Main emphasis for us for the first half of the course was on slow speed riding and they also taught us to ride the clutch in 1st gear for slow speed / maneuvering at slow speed. They provided the bikes and had a variety, some CBR125's, some older Kawasaki cruiser 125's, and some Buehler 250's. It was made pretty clear that this is the proper way to ride ANY bike at slow speed.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I just took a 21 hour riding course myself. Main emphasis for us for the first half of the course was on slow speed riding and they also taught us to ride the clutch in 1st gear for slow speed / maneuvering at slow speed. They provided the bikes and had a variety, some CBR125's, some older Kawasaki cruiser 125's, and some Buehler 250's. It was made pretty clear that this is the proper way to ride ANY bike at slow speed.
I'm starting my rider's course this weekend although, its only 10 hours long and not 21 hours but I'm sure I too will be learning the same lessons in "slow speed riding".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't it strange, I was thinking the electronic fuel injection on this bike was going to be a big plus but as CeeBeeArr noted in another post:
"most engines will suddenly jump rich if the throttle is suddenly closed. I say most engines because I think this engine cuts the injector off under those conditions and that is why the deceleration with the throttle closed is so noticible. You may notice that if when running, you carefully close the throttle to start decelerating, it slows down moderately. If you close it a bit more, it starts to slow down much faster. This, I believe is the clue that the injector is being cut off. It also explains some of the jerkiness in first at low rpms."

·
Registered
256 Posts
Never really thought about it but now that I did, I would have to say I just naturally ride the clutch at low speed all the time. I don't know why you wouldn't. You might have to replace the clutch at 40k instead of 50k mi.? It does seem like it would be pretty hard to keep control, low speed in first gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not the point. Why settle for a work around when there are ways to improve the overall performance? If we don't let Honda know they dropped the ball on this they'll think we like it this way!

·
Registered
319 Posts
really guys, no manual car will run well in the stop start traffic in first, Some people here really complain too much!

Yes they shut off the injectors, it saves fuel big time! Think of all the big long hills you ride down no gas on.

Also You guys wanna wait while you operate the choke let the bike warm up, screw that I love my EFI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once again, you're missing the point! I'm not suggesting going back to carburetors.
What I am trying to point out is that this bike has so much more potential than what we are seeing here in it's first iteration. Unless we provide Honda with some intelligent feedback they'll continue with the mediocre effort that seems to satisfy people like Macca who can't seem to see the distinction between a complaint and constructive criticism.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone find shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear is kind of harsh? All the other gears I'm able to use clutch to make the shift smooth but from 1>2 it's almost always rough.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Nope, don't have an issue at all. :confused:

·
Registered
389 Posts
it's the whopping 15.1 ft-lb of torque it has! Just squeeze a little more to get your front off the ground.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think you need more quality time with your bike or move to somewhere with out such traffic as you described. Face it if you live in a city when the zombies come you are screwed any ways. 10< rush hour traffic surrounded by cagers..ugh:(. I rather take a kick in the nuts.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts