Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When first starting out on a ride (everything still cold) shifting from 1st to 2nd is smooth and easy. After a while (when things get warmed up) shifting from 1st to 2nd seems to be a little notchy, not hard to shift but feels not smooth as I think it should be. All the shifting to all the other gears remains unchanged. I should also note it's only on up-shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Anyone else experience this or have an idea whats going on?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
How much Miles on it?.. mines brand new and a bit of a clunk but heaps of bikes are worse.
Should get better after 3000km or so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
about 750miles on the bike right now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try bringing it up to 7 or 8k.. see if that makes a difference. Lots of others here with more experience than me so maybe they'll chime in as well. As I put more miles on this bike I find that raising the RPMs made shifting much smoother. In my case I don't get "notchy" but at lower revs I felt that I was jumping the gun going between gears. Specifically between 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine made a pretty loud 'clack' for a while. It seemed to like being ridden hard and having the oil changed every 1K miles or so.

It's really not too bad now and I haven't missed second in a while :p, @ about 6600.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I go for my ride tomorrow I'll see if going higher in RPM's makes a difference. It isn't worrying me too much right now, I know what people mean when they say other bikes are a lot worse.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So shifting at 8k seemed to make things better. Looks like I'll be winding her up a little higher from now on.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not sure about your shifting technique - but if you place a bit of upward pressure on the shifter and then let off the throttle and gently pull in the clutch (as you continue to place upward pressure on the shifter) - the bike will just slip into 2nd like John Holmes...er....like a hot knife through butter. You will often just hear a little "click" and that is it. This actually works for all gears.

If you are already shifting this way - just disregard this message :)

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts