Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hope your wrist feels better and no permanent damage, parts on the bike can be replaced.... You can't.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Glad you or the bike did not have too much damage. I've noticed that the brake on these bike are very sharp and need to be squeezed rather than grabbed. Not something you tend to do in a panic. I come off prevoius bike a couple of times at low speeds because I grabbed the front brake. That's why I chose an ABS model this time. Gradually getting used to modualting the brake with a bit more care.
If you find out what the part number for that silver paint is can you let us know? I'm going to have to touch up a scratch or two on the heatsheild myself.
Well, I woke up this morning with a swollen wrist. Not too painful but I won't be riding today which is a shame because it is a nice day (I'm going to the motorcycle swap-meet this morning). Well, maybe I wasn't supposed to ride today.

Yeah, I don't know the exact paint color but I do have a PDF of the service manual so I'll have to se if they list it. It will be posted here and in the ugly exhaust thread (which one?).

The breaks on these 'new' bikes so much better than those back in the day. In the end analysis what I did wrong was I had the bars sharply right with the bike in gear (second). I eased out on the clutch while giving it a little gas then (in a slight panic) grabbed the front brake which forced the bike into the ground. My wrist is hurt because it went down fast while I was holding the front brake. I ended up crouched on one knee on the right side of the downed bike . . holding the brake and throttle.

A little more thought on my part could have avoided this unfortunate circumstance. My hope with this thread is that it will help me and others have that thought in the parking lot. If I was mandated to have at least one motorcycle accident in my life, I got off easy . . this time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My bike has been dropped plenty of times and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Each time I learned something, the bike was completely unharmed, and dropping it actually added to the memories of that particular trip. It's kind of fun in an embarrassing and memorable kind of way.

Let's see:

- dropped in the garage, wasn't balanced on the kick stand correctly, I got off left, bike fell right, oops
- pants caught on the key stand feeler, again I went left, bike fell right, oops again
- doing parking lot practice, making a really slow uturn and didn't balance correctly, bike fell right, I jumped off to the left
- making a tight uturn on some twisties, target fixation with the side of the road, ran right off and bike fell over down the median

Every time someone came by to help out pick the bike up, we had a nice chat, I meet some cool riders, and I went on with the day. Embarrassing in the moment, but honestly those are some of the best learning experiences I had when riding and feeling of picking your bike up, dusting yourself off, and riding away just feels personally great. I feel like you do learn something every time, and there's no better motivator then dropping your bike to learn a hard lesson.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only dropped one bike, ever, and it was my CBR250R. This was about 6 weeks ago, I wasn't riding it at the time and the battery wasn't even in it. I keep the bike in the garage, behind my SUV. Every morning that I take the SUV I have to move the bike out of the way, back the SUV out, then put the bike back into the garage. Reverse that when I get home, so the bike gets moved twice a day no matter what, all year long. I have to park the bike behind the SUV because there's just no other place to put it, and there's "just enough" space for the bike to fit and the garage door to close. Problem is, my SUV has a rear-mounted spare, so I have to sidle the bike up right to the back of the SUV. If I get it TOO close, I can't lean the bike to the right even to get the kickstand down before the handlebars hit the spare tire cover. That's what happened when I slow-dropped it. The bike just started going left without the kickstand down, I couldn't go right because I was too close to the SUV, and before I could get my left foot out from under the bike it was already going too far over to the left and pinning my foot. I don't know what would have happened if the garage door had been closed, but I just slow-rolled all the way over. The only damage was a concrete kiss on the left mirror plastic, and my ankle didn't like having a bike layed over on it. I don't know exactly how I got out from under the bike, but I managed to get it off me, get it upright, and curse loudly. What I do now is give myself more room, keeping the bike further away from the SUV, then using the kickstand (after I get off the bike) to swing the bike's back end into place and do a couple of back-and-forth handlebar sawings getting the front in place.

What I learned from this was that I need a bigger freakin' garage, or I need to kick my wife's car out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Rory L
You don't need Honda Ugly Silver paint for your heat shield. I used Rustoleum silver hammertone spray with complete success. It looks much "richer" than the original dull finish, with a little gloss, and some character. The heat is not enough to be a problem.

Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to park the same way, but typically I just hop off in front of the spot then walk the bike in. Doing so not only prevents a drop, but also lets me 'whittle' the bike back and forth to get it as close to the wall (in my case) as possible, giving me more room to keep the car from extending beyond the spot.
Yeah, I get off now and take like 3 minutes back it in and out. It's a huge pain because the asphalt dips on my neighbors parking spot, and I'm small, so I gotta really yank to pull the back back in reverse. Oh well, I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to park the same way, but typically I just hop off in front of the spot then walk the bike in. Doing so not only prevents a drop, but also lets me 'whittle' the bike back and forth to get it as close to the wall (in my case) as possible, giving me more room to keep the car from extending beyond the spot.
Yeah, I get off now and take like 3 minutes back it in and out. It's a huge pain because the asphalt dips on my neighbors parking spot, and I'm small, so I gotta really yank to pull the back back in reverse. Oh well, I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since this thread has turned into a confessional for stories of dropping our bikes in parking lots, I would like to confess. I dropped my bike while parking it at work. I got off, both feet on the ground kickstand down, and felt it falling to the right. I couldn't stop it, but I was able to help put it down as gently as possible. My frame sliders caught it (shogun no-cut) and the right mirror hit just enough to slightly bend my front fairing. I now notice my windscreen being slightly asymmetric. No damage to my side fairings, but the ugly exhaust has a new scratch on it. Of course, there was a witness. I wanted to pick the bike up myself, but didn't have time to give it an honest effort due to running off for a meeting. The witness helped me get the bike up. I guess I didn't straighten the wheel out enough, or I pushed off the bike while getting off. I get off my bike more slowly now, thinking it through every time.

As an aside, I put the frame sliders on it mainly to help prevent the bike from pinning my foot if I fell over with it. I took a look at it when it was down, and think it would've done the job if I had still been on it. Anybody had this experience?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can sympathize. Just dropped my bike a little earlier today. I can make myself feel a little better by reasoning that it wasn't really my fault, but I still looked like a total squid and was thankful my inner tinted visor was down so that no one could see my face!

Making a right turn out of a neighborhood, planted my right foot down in mud (probably stopped a bit too close to the verge I guess), the wind gusted, foot slipped...bike went splat. The good? It didn't fall all the way down, I'm not hurt, and since it was mud, no damage. The bad? I looked like a tool. :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
In my case I don't think anything would have saved the exhaust shield. But, if I did have the yoshimura sliders I would have saved the turn signal from getting rashed. Possibly the back of the mirror as well . . . Likely, they wouldn't have made much difference on the damage but it might have been reassuring at the time.

I know these things will not stay new forever. So, I scratched it . . It rides the same. I'll try not to do that again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That first scratch or scuff on a new bike is like a stab to the heart. I just reassure myself by saying now my bike has a new distinguishing feature.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts