Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents,
Haven't used my CBR for a few months, took it for state safety inspection today and ran it around town for a bit. A strange (to me) metallic ticking noise developed while ridding. I think it could either be the valve shims out of spec or the cam chain tensioner not doing its job based of some threads I had seen on the forum. That said, what would be a good indicator of one vs the other? Bike has 13k mi on it, and afaik hasn't had its valves checked since the PO did the initial check. I want to make be sure that I'm not just imagining it, besides noise what else should I be looking/listening for to indicate which (if either) problem it is?

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
If an oil change doesn't eliminate the problem, I would check and adjust (if needed) the valves. This bike doesn't hold a lot of oil, so keeping an eye on the oil level is important.

Reactions: jkv357

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Definitely check the valve adjustment if you haven't.

You could pull the cam chain tensioner and take a close look at it to make sure it's in good condition. Not sure if a problem would be visible or not.If it's still making noise after a valve adjustment and the tensioner looks ok, you could go for a new tensioner if it's not expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts