Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the OEM seat cowl that sells for about 150 bucks how is it holding up? Does it scratch easy? Thats my only concern about buying one.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I was wondering about that too... I have yet to see one in person. I've found them on line for $120.00, though I wouldn't mind seeing one up close before buying it. The dealers I've called don't seem to be interested in stocking it. cyclepartsnation.com for OEM Honda parts. I've ordered a fair amount of parts from them for my other bikes. No issues or problems.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Anyone mind posting a link to what's being discussed here?

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^ Shipping is probably too long for my impatient self. I live close to Hagerstown but $150 is steep.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come to think of it 150 is ridiculous expensive. Waiting for the Chinese knock off at half the price.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^ +1

Keep me posted!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
There's a review video of the seat cowl on YouTube somewhere (darned if I can find it now) that basicaly says the OEM seat cowl is an expensive piece of plastic that doesn't look too great and rattles quite a bit. About the only thing it does do is add a little trunk space, but the drawbacks were so great that the reviewer felt he'd completely wasted his money and wasn't even going to use it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

I've learned not to trust other's reviews. I wouldn't mind ditching that pass. seat.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

Darn.

I shall keep looking!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Looking at the pic's I've seen, it appears to be cheaply done. I'd be a buyer if it was better quality and offered in gloss black, or for my tri-color in gloss white. Maybe someone in the aftermarket biz will see the opportunity to come up with a quality unit at a similar price point, offer it in matching colors and sell the heck out of them.

$150.00 for the Honda unit? They must have all of $7.89 into the mfg. cost.
I just ordered a new red front fender for my tri-color, to have it repainted Spencer Blue Metallic. You want to know what I paid for that new red fender?... $14.90 from cyclepartsnation.com... It is an OEM Honda part. Go figure... The white side cowls are about $30.00 per side... The upper center cowl, between the headlight and windscreen is about $12.00, painted blue. I'm getting ready to place my order for all the body work to have as spares.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Looking at the pic's I've seen, it appears to be cheaply done. I'd be a buyer if it was better quality and offered in gloss black, or for my tri-color in gloss white. Maybe someone in the aftermarket biz will see the opportunity to come up with a quality unit at a similar price point, offer it in matching colors and sell the heck out of them.

$150.00 for the Honda unit? They must have all of $7.89 into the mfg. cost.
I just ordered a new red front fender for my tri-color, to have it repainted Spencer Blue Metallic. You want to know what I paid for that new red fender?... $14.90 from cyclepartsnation.com... It is an OEM Honda part. Go figure... The white side cowls are about $30.00 per side... The upper center cowl, between the headlight and windscreen is about $12.00, painted blue. I'm getting ready to place my order for all the body work to have as spares.
Wow those prices are cheap, Ive a very small scratch in my left black rear side cowl,
I wanted to get one for if I ever sold the bike.. hows this? - $508AUD! genuine part from a dealer.

And my Sharkskinz race glass is going to be over $1000 by the time they land in Australia ($500US freight)

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Wow those prices are cheap, Ive a very small scratch in my left black rear side cowl,
I wanted to get one for if I ever sold the bike.. hows this? - $508AUD! genuine part from a dealer.

And my Sharkskinz race glass is going to be over $1000 by the time they land in Australia ($500US freight)
Wow is right, Aufitt! That's what I thought when I saw the prices here... I just placed my order. The left and right rear side cowl's, in Ross White are $8.73 each!! How can a guy not have spares on the shelf at those prices? I ordered all the body panels, except for the three upper cowl pieces (they are cheap as well), the windscreen ($31.82) and some other small parts I like to keep on hand... my total invoice including shipping was $183.09 USD.

What does $508AUD convert to in US dollars?

UPS just dropped off the parts I ordered last week, oil filters & gaskets, air filters, carbon tank pad set, and the front fender. Now to get it painted. I think the bike will look good with a blue front fender.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
if it helps the dealer i got my bike had them on some of the 250s. they had both painted ones that matched the red on the bike and the basic plastic black ones. they looked good but i didnt feel like paying $160 extra for it to be on my bike.....prefered the seat...they had like 10 250s at the time i got mine only like 4 had the cowl on them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Old thread...new question.

I've looked all over and don't see an answer to my question:

Can a tail bag be used with the rear seat cowl? The cowl seems to come up quite a bit, would a tail bag be able to fit over it if I wanted to use one?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had one, its cheap form plastic with 1/4" rods to make the bracket to hold it on. Has a suction cup at the rear to hold is a little tighter to minimize rattling. I didn't think it was worth $150 as the metal framing inside restrics the added space you get from it and rubbed on the sides slightly. If painted I'm sure it would look a lot better and it was very durable but overal with how it came I wasn't very excited.

As far as a tail bag, the profiling of it wouldn't allow it a very wide contact patch unless you sinched it way down. It has a hump in the middle and then drops down to two rounded off sides. If it was one of the small bags it would probably be fine but anything much beyond a small tool bag would be best used with the OEM passenger seat as its a little easier to put on, a lot flatter, and probably what the bag was designed to fit around anyways.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I am planning to get one of these as per the Honda Access European site this is the description.

Rear seat cowl

Is installed in place of pillion seat
Gives the bike a more focussed look
Access to carrying space underneath the seat remains easy
Carbon fibre look

The Part number is 08F74-KYJ-800

873-3646.jpg

873-3432.jpg

I was thinking to get it professionally sprayed using the Nitric orange colour code YR271 get the repsol scheme going it will just finish off the bike nicely.

Its is for £150.00 with across the pond making $150.00 it would make sense for me to order it from the states..:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts