Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Anyone changed their own oil in the CBR250R?
Is it easy or difficult to do?

Can someone please post up the procedure and/or pics or videos to show us how to change oil on this bike?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Does anyone remove the exhaust to do this, I noticed that the exhaust is right under the sump plug :(

·
Registered
999 Posts
Exhaust doesn't need to be removed.
You have to remove the right middle & lower fairing to get access to the oil filter (4 bolts to remove oil filter cover) but the drain plug is easily accessible beneath the engine.

I don't have any pics but the procedure is in the owner's manual.
Just be really slow & patient taking the fairing off the first time.

Edit: Make sure you're loosening the correct drain bolt. You want the one that is a regular head near the side stand. NOT the one with the torx directly above the header pipe.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Part #s of what you need:

Part Number Description
15410-KYJ-901 ELEMENT, OIL FILTER
15412-KYJ-901 GASKET
94109-12000 WASHER (12MM)

Basically, after removing the fairings unscrew oil fller cap. Place drain pan under engine and remove drain bolt (regular head near side stand). Remove the four oil filter cover bolts and the cover. Remove filter & gasket. Place new filter (pay attention to which direction, it is marked) then new gasket which I believe goes only one way and put cover back on and torque bolts to 9 foot lbs or 12 newton meters or 108 inch lbs. Put new crush washer on drain bolt and re install drain bolt. I can't remember the torque at the moment. Pour (if I reacll correctly) 1.6 quarts of oil into filler. Hold bike upright & check level. Start bike & let it warm up to check for leaks and then recheck oil level (bike held upright). If all is good re install the fairings and you're done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Part Number Description
15412-KYJ-901 GASKET

Basically, after removing the fairings unscrew oil fller cap. Place drain pan under engine and remove drain bolt (regular head near side stand). Remove the four oil filter cover bolts and the cover. Remove filter & gasket. Place new filter (pay attention to which direction, it is marked) then new gasket which I believe goes only one way and put cover back on and torque bolts to 9 foot lbs or 12 newton meters or 108 inch lbs. Put new crush washer on drain bolt and re install drain bolt. I can't remember the torque at the moment. Pour (if I reacll correctly) 1.6 quarts of oil into filler. Hold bike upright & check level. Start bike & let it warm up to check for leaks and then recheck oil level (bike held upright). If all is good re install the fairings and you're done.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Part Number Description
15412-KYJ-901 GASKET

Excellent advice! I ordered the oil, a few washers (for future oil changes), a few gaskets (ditto), and a filter, plus a few (tons) of accessories for my brother's CBR250r. I'll follow yours and the manual's instructions to change the oil, and if I get the time I'll post a guide with photos in the forums.

BTW I'm new here, nice to see a good CBR250r community. I don't ride a CBR (I ride a Kawi ZX-6R :p), but I personally fix my bro's CBR (only the simpler stuff though, accessories, oil change, etc).

Cheers! :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've done three oil changes on my bike and I've yet to do more than loosen right hand bottom lower and move it out of the way. One thing for sure, these cartridge style oil filters mounted sideways make for one hell of a mess!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've done three oil changes on my bike and I've yet to do more than loosen right hand bottom lower and move it out of the way. One thing for sure, these cartridge style oil filters mounted sideways make for one hell of a mess!
Yes I also do not remove fairings. Not really nessary easier to just loosten and pull back

·
Registered
999 Posts
I haven't seen this thread in a while :)

I'll concur, the fairing don't have to be removed. It makes it a little easier to clean things before & after the change but is totally doable with the fairing on.

I made the previous posts after the first oil change. I usually do things by the book the first time then find shortcuts on the next round.

Thank you guys for the updating this as it will be of help to those doing their first change. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just changed my oil for first time in my new CBR250R 2012. Went to dealer down the street to get everything. They told me they never change the oil filter gasket, or the drain plug washer. In all my years I have never replaced a plug washer and never seen an oil leak from re-using. So I bought the filter and the oil, drained, replaced, and I just cleaned existing gasket really well. Started it and let run while I cleaned up, shut it off, checked the level 10 mins. later, topper her off, then test drove it around the block a few times. When I got back I let her run in the garage for several more minutes to check for leaks and none. Save your self a gallon of gas worths money and don't give the stealership any more for a part they told me not to buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts