Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did the first oil change at 525 miles, I cut out the pleated element from the filter for a look-see. I saw only a few pieces of metal shavings, but was shocked at how much orange and blue paint-like flakes were caught in the filter. I've no idea where where that all came from inside the engine, but it was quite the colorful arrangement. Also, several bits of the silicone sealant Honda used to assemble the engine. I shudder to think that all it would take is one tiny piece such as this to partially obscure an oil passage to cause all sorts of damage over time. Does all the oil the engine receives pass through the filter, or is it a partial bypass design? If the filter were to plug up entirely, is there a safety by-pass valve in the engine, because I don't see one in the filter?

·
Registered
576 Posts
thats a good idea:)
i just happend to keep my first filter in a baggy.
i'm going to do the same inspection.
just by looking at it i didnt notice anything large
maybe when i tear it apart i'll find some of
the things you did.

·
Registered
706 Posts
There are technically 2 filters but one is just a screen. In the bottom of the motor after the oil return there is a metal screen to catch larger particles. I replaced the clutch cover on my bike after it got scratched and took the screen out and cleaned it out. There was very little of anything in it and the insides looked very nice after 800 miles.

I wouldn't be concerned after the first oil change but if this is a common occurrence every 3,000 miles or however long you decide to go between changes then I'd wonder why.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the paint flecks are from the paint marker they use to mark the different components. My head cover had pink writing inside it before I cleaned it off.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I told the salesman I bought the bike from, and he showed me the 700cc V-twin (forget the nomer) which had exactly the same color yellow and orange "crayon" marks on various fasteners on the outside of the bike. He suggested what I saw was remnants of similar markers used inside the engine components. So, I guess that is what I had in my filter, but why would a manufacturer want flakes of paint circulating inside the engine?:confused:

·
Registered
501 Posts
First oil change, I always do mine on any vehicle at 300 miles first time. Heres pics of new & old filter Took filter apart & not bad, really fine metal particles

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Oil Filter By-Pass.

Does all the oil the engine receives pass through the filter, or is it a partial bypass design?
All of the oil for the engine passes thru the oil filter. There is an internal passage between the oil pump and the oil filter that goes to the oil pressure relief valve. The oil pressure relief valve vents excess oil pressure back into the engine oil sump.

If the filter were to plug up entirely, is there a safety by-pass valve in the engine, because I don't see one in the filter?
The by-pass for a clogged oil filter is provided by the spring install between the oil filter and oil filter cover. If the oil filter becomes clogged to the point where no oil will flow thru the filter element. The oil pressure acting on the end of the oil filter that seats on the engine side will push the oil filter towards the out side of the oil filter cover and depress the spring. This will open a passage allowing oil to by-pass the oil filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts