Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today i took the fairings off, slapped on a jardine rt-5 exhaust and installed a 12oclock labs speedodrd.

I noticed there was some oil on the outer casing of the motor. a little background. the bike has a little over 1200kms. i am the 2nd owner, and have only put maybe 200kms or less myself (bought the bike late oct). it is a 2012, so there should be another month or two on the warranty.

I grabbed some paper towels and i cleaned it up. (also, i should note i had the dealership do a safety inspection and first service/oil change the day i got the bike...and i found they overfilled the oil! i used the manual's procedure for checking the level...run it 5 min, let it sit for 2-3 min and check the site glass while level...the bike was on stands...i ended up removing approx 200ml of oil.) i did notice when i put the bike on stands last fall that there was a small drip, so i assumed it was becuase it was over filled.

so after i got the fairings on, i took it for a 20km cruise to check the speed against a gps (ps...speedometer read 100-101, gps read 91km/hr)

when i got back, i noticed there was a considerable amount of oil coming from somewhere at the top of the motor. i will post a couple pics...it might be from some semicircle plugs.

so has anyone heard of this? could this be a result of the overfill from last year, or no, since i have drained it to correct levels. or from the first service the dealer did less than 200km ago?

has anyone dealt with honda canada for warranty issues? i don't have the original bill of sale, but i assume that won't be an issue since these things are registered and should be available to the dealer through their dealer computer system. just curious what to expect when i bring it in.

side note: the bike seemed to run great during the brief time i had it out...the jardine rt-5 makes it sound like a totally different animal.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
In your second, close up photo, the cylinder head cover gasket looks to be rolled over at the corner of the cover... who ever did the valve clearance check wasn't careful when reassembling the cover onto the gasket. It's easy enough to remove the cylinder head cover and reposition the gasket. You'll want to use a small amount of HondaBond Sealant (or ThreeBond 1107 Sealant) at the half round sections of the gasket.

As far as warranty coverage for this, I don't know what the Honda warranty terms are in Canada when the original owner sells the bike. I know in the U.S. the 12 month standard factory warranty only covers the original purchaser of the motorcycle. However, the extended warranties sold here can be transferred to a new owner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike... So even if this wasn't original warranty work... This dealer would in fact have had to remove and replace that gasket, so they should come good regardless I would hope. Thanks again. Rather sad that taking a bike for scheduled maintenance causes issues that didn't exist before they touched it. On the bright side... There is evidence they actually checked the valves!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
You're right, the dealer should own up to the leaking gasket, and replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
+1 on MotoMike's diagnosis and dealer responsibility.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove the bike to work today (********************.... - 5deg C,!) then to the dealer. They say they will make it right

While at the dealer, I noticed oil has leaked from from under the seat onto the chain guard oil must have blown through the air box and found a drain hole.?? It was pointed to the dealer and they said they would check it out. Fingers crossed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
Super old thread resurrection... I know... but can anyone clarify the difference of Permatex "Ultra Copper" versus Hondabond/Three Bond for the cylinder head gasket? I have never used three bond so I don't know how it compares, or whether something like the Ultra Copper will work on the cylinder head gasket.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
just on the warranty/owner exchange, bought mine used [aust action m/c]
before first service, first service filled out a form, posted to honda, which
transferred warranty to me the new owner..

service manager assured me the warranty etc
was transferred to me from first owner..

·
Registered
13 Posts
In your second, close up photo, the cylinder head cover gasket looks to be rolled over at the corner of the cover... who ever did the valve clearance check wasn't careful when reassembling the cover onto the gasket. It's easy enough to remove the cylinder head cover and reposition the gasket. You'll want to use a small amount of HondaBond Sealant (or ThreeBond 1107 Sealant) at the half round sections of the gasket.

As far as warranty coverage for this, I don't know what the Honda warranty terms are in Canada when the original owner sells the bike. I know in the U.S. the 12 month standard factory warranty only covers the original purchaser of the motorcycle. However, the extended warranties sold here can be transferred to a new owner.

The factory manual I have says to use Threebond 5211c, ss ke45, 1207b, 1215 or equivalent. I'm having trouble finding any of those conveniently. I assume Hondabond would work fine, why wouldn't they suggest it in their own manual? I put the valve cover back on with the old gasket and no sealant and haven't noticed a leak so far but am paranoid and planning on taking it apart and putting on a new gasket and using proper sealant. I should be safe using Hondabond? My local shop has tons of permatex liquid gasket stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts