Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil that the bike came with points to the lowest mark in the indicator window. The bike has not done its first service yet. Currently have done around 500km.

My question is should I top it up?

considering:

- Honda uses a breakin oil (so I have heard)/ which might not mix well with normal semi-senthetic oil.

- Is the oil level low for a reason. (maybe for breaking in?)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
The oil that the bike came with points to the lowest mark in the indicator window. The bike has not done its first service yet. Currently have done around 500km.

My question is should I top it up?

considering:

- Honda uses a breakin oil (so I have heard)/ which might not mix well with normal semi-senthetic oil.

- Is the oil level low for a reason. (maybe for breaking in?)

Any thoughts?
Did you check it standing the bike up straight and on flat ground?
If it is low I'd be going back to the dealer asking why. Mine used no oil before or after first service and I've never babied it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check it standing the bike up straight and on flat ground?
If it is low I'd be going back to the dealer asking why. Mine used no oil before or after first service and I've never babied it.
Checked on a flat surface with bike vertical.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Why not just get your dealer to top it up?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It should come with GN4, but some dealerships may not have that on-hand and will fill with their standard 10W-40.

Ask what they put in it when they set it up and why the level is down after 500km. Put GN4 10W-30 in it.

Jay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should come with GN4, but some dealerships may not have that on-hand and will fill with their standard 10W-40.

Ask what they put in it when they set it up and why the level is down after 500km. Put GN4 10W-30 in it.

Jay
----
Thanks for that,
Just a FYI:
I called the dealer, which is "Peter Steven" in Melbourne Australia.
They have told me that the oil that they use is 'Bel Ray 10w-40 Semi Synthetic' which they don't mind topping up for free. but since the mechanics clock off at 4pm. I will have to purchase that for A$59.95 for 4 liters.
I was just avoiding oil brands mix ups.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
----
Thanks for that,
Just a FYI:
I called the dealer, which is "Peter Steven" in Melbourne Australia.
They have told me that the oil that they use is 'Bel Ray 10w-40 Semi Synthetic' which they don't mind topping up for free. but since the mechanics clock off at 4pm. I will have to purchase that for A$59.95 for 4 liters.
I was just avoiding oil brands mix ups.
That's good oil, but not what's recommended unless you are running elevated oil temps. The CBR was designed to run 30-weight oil for "normal" conditions, but I guarantee your dealer will tell you 40-weight is fine.

Read through this thread and make up your own mind - http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...put-10w-40-oil-instead-10w-30-acceptable.html

Aufitt's Australian dealer told him to always use 10W-30 - no matter what the conditions (trackdays) or temps (very high) - I don't agree with that either.

So you can see even Honda dealers can't agree what should be used.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts