Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pleased to see the conveinence of a Oil SightGlass window on the new 250. My Nighthawk 750's only used a dipstick and I won't miss that.

Perhaps an owner with a manual could share what Honda recommends on reading the oil level on the new 250 with the SightGlass? I imagine with a small bike it should not be too difficult balancing the bike and holding it level while gauging a reading? Do you need to crouch down to read the SightGlass accurately while your balancing the bike or can you see it just fine standing? Engine supposed to be hot/cold? Etc...

I attached a picture of the SightGlass where you can see the low and high fill marks. Do you have to hold the bike pretty level to read it accurately? ...Or does the oil level slosh up and down much depending on if it is wavering a degree or two off center from level?

Just curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
it's easy to hold the bike up and read it, but a slight angle makes a big difference, you don't see the oil in there when it's on the side stand.

·
281 Posts
I don't have my bike yet..but normally with a site glass they expect you to have the machine on the level and held straight up. I recommend holding it up with one hand on the right grip and firm pull on the brake to hold the bike in place. Locate your left hand somewhere else on the bike with a good grip and not too low.....the bikes light weight should make this work pretty well but you must still be focused and careful !

·
Registered
40 Posts
you can read the sight glass while standing up, well I can and Im 6'1'' tall..just make sure your holding the bike staright up and down, (ie: not on the stand) make sure then engine is warm first though :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
after my 1st service, there looked like there was too much oil in it because when I tipped the bike up, there was no bubble at all in the sight glass. So I drained the oil out and put in just less than 1.5quarts. At one quart you could just see the oil sloshing at the bottom of the sight glass. After adding the rest, the oil is above the top mark, with a small bubble showing. So, I think, just 1 or 2 ounces will make a big difference in the sight glass.

·
281 Posts
after my 1st service, there looked like there was too much oil in it because when I tipped the bike up, there was no bubble at all in the sight glass. So I drained the oil out and put in just less than 1.5quarts. At one quart you could just see the oil sloshing at the bottom of the sight glass. After adding the rest, the oil is above the top mark, with a small bubble showing. So, I think, just 1 or 2 ounces will make a big difference in the sight glass.
Qlred, Sometimes the owners manual will tell you the amount of oil differential from the lower limit to the upper limit of the sight glass. Does the CBR manual discuss this at all?

·
745 Posts
lol - actually just went though this. manual sez to park the bike and wait a couple of minutes - if the bike is cold, warm it up, then shut it off and wait a couple of minutes. Park it on a level surface and the oil should be in the window.

"Park". Hmmmm. Called the dealer on this one. He says that the bike should be level, i.e. "hold the bike level and look at the sight glass".

Since I'm getting a track stand (or reasonable facsimile thereof) anyway, this is not an issue. I do wonder how many owners will pull the bike over on top of them while trying to squat and pull it off the sidestand...

·
745 Posts
Note also that in a departure from all of the rest of the Honda Thumper engines (at least the ones I'm familiar with), this guy uses 10-30 instead of 10-40 oil....

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
^ Does oil expand slightly when hot?

^^ Fully synthetic can be used and will reduce engine wear. But ONLY use fully AFTER the break in period. I'd wait for the 6000km service before changing to fully synthetic.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use a paddock stand and check the oil level every 500 miles (same time i clean/lube the chain). That's my $0.02

·
Registered
221 Posts
The manuals all say to check the oil level with the engine warm. Can anyone explain this for me (e.g. does it drain somewhere on standing)?
The engine oil is used to lubricate the engine and transmission. You need to turn it on so that the oil get all up in the system and circulates through everything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Note also that in a departure from all of the rest of the Honda Thumper engines (at least the ones I'm familiar with), this guy uses 10-30 instead of 10-40 oil....

The owner's manual specifies 10-30, but the service manual says that you can also use 10-40 in warmer climates... I opted for 10-40

·
Registered
999 Posts
Back in the mid nineties I had a 92' Kawi Zephyr 750 which had an oil sight glass.
I also had an old mirror leaned against the wall of the garage that I was going to throw/give away until I realized one day that I could straddle the bike and see the oil level clear as day in it.

I still have that mirror. It's been sitting in the garage for over 20 years and I still haven't gotten around to getting rid of it. Now with the reception of the little Honda that could I think I'll go clean it up and use it like I did with the Zephyr.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I find it a little akward to try to hold the bike strait and check the oil at the same time. I always have my boy sit on, hold it straight up and them I get down on both knees at check it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back in the mid nineties I had a 92' Kawi Zephyr 750 which had an oil sight glass.
I also had an old mirror leaned against the wall of the garage that I was going to throw/give away until I realized one day that I could straddle the bike and see the oil level clear as day in it.

I still have that mirror. It's been sitting in the garage for over 20 years and I still haven't gotten around to getting rid of it. Now with the reception of the little Honda that could I think I'll go clean it up and use it like I did with the Zephyr.
This is genius! I find myself sitting on the ground and holding the bike straight. I'm sure that I have a mirror in my garage somewhere. Why didn't I think of this? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts