Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've got more than a few riders from Ontario on here. Give a shout out. Maybe I'll try to organize a 'gathering' next season.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not yet, I usually wait till just before the first major snowfall. Typically, around late Nov. But I don't get much riding in, once a week if I'm lucky that late in the season.

So where are you from? (It'll help picking out a location).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thunder Bay, Ontario. Why don't we meet up here. You could group ride around Lake Superior - it would make for an incredibly scenic and unforgetable trip. We could reserve some remote sites at Sleeping Giant Park, or you could all stay in tents in my backyard. What do you think?

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thunder Bay, Ontario. Why don't we meet up here. You could group ride around Lake Superior - it would make for an incredibly scenic and unforgetable trip. We could reserve some remote sites at Sleeping Giant Park, or you could all stay in tents in my backyard. What do you think?
Appreciate the offer and the idea Mike. That's a really long way to go for some of these guys. You and I both have been known to ride some long distance, but I think the vast majority of these guys probably have never done mileage over 300km in a day. I know the ride over Superior is spectacular and is a 'must do' ride for nearly anybody. But I'll probably personally take you up on your offer next summer :D

I was thinking around Parry Sound/Muskoka's (lots of campsites/lodging/food, good roads) or Calabogie just west of Ottawa, maybe Manitoulin Island? The southern peeps could ride up to Tobermory and then hop on the Chee-chee-mon making it a really pleasant day trip for travel times.

I just don't want people to take a pass on a meetup because the ride to/from being an ordeal.

We've got all winter (ugh!) to blue-sky locations, accommodations, times..

Anybody else have suggestions for locales?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Toronto here. Me and a new riding buddy would love to join in if schedules work out. I let my M2 expire many moons ago, so the two of us are doing the course next spring, and most likely buying bikes shortly after.

Me being out of practice and him being a total noob, not sure if we'll have enough miles to do a full hike up to Thunder Bay, but that would be awesome if we could.

As for some more day trippy, overnight kinda stuff that would be awesome!

Keep this thread alive!

<Maybe a MOD could move it to the Group Meet / Ride section>?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Appreciate the offer and the idea Mike. That's a really long way to go for some of these guys. You and I both have been known to ride some long distance, but I think the vast majority of these guys probably have never done mileage over 300km in a day. I know the ride over Superior is spectacular and is a 'must do' ride for nearly anybody. But I'll probably personally take you up on your offer next summer :D

I was thinking around Parry Sound/Muskoka's (lots of campsites/lodging/food, good roads) or Calabogie just west of Ottawa, maybe Manitoulin Island? The southern peeps could ride up to Tobermory and then hop on the Chee-chee-mon making it a really pleasant day trip for travel times.

I just don't want people to take a pass on a meetup because the ride to/from being an ordeal.

We've got all winter (ugh!) to blue-sky locations, accommodations, times..

Anybody else have suggestions for locales?
Hey Bungie - point well taken. Manitoulin is a great idea. Relatively empty. Lots of fun 80km/hr roads. Nice scenery and cool places to explore. Good lodging/camping. A more central location in the province. The Chi-Cheemaun ferry is tons of fun and would be a blast for the S. Ontario riders.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I very much approve of this idea!

I'm a new rider, I've had my m2 since October, bike since September, and I have been desperate to meet other riders, but alas haven't yet. Though, that could be due to the time of the year.

Longest ride I've done I believe is Alliston - Brampton - Kitchener :) Alas, a lonely ride on your own!

Anywhere within 2 hours I suppose would be a good place to start for a trip, though I do have a suggestion to add to the Manitoulin idea!

What if a couple of closer groups all started in say London/Kitchener or for the Northern people somewhere near Soult Ste Marie/Thunder Bay, and then have everyone meet up on manitoulin for an hour or two, whathaveyou, and then ride back to the starting points for a long day of riding with food inbetween :)

Alas, none of these ideas can be put into play until the snow, ice, and road salt are good and gone, but always fun to hypothesize! Looking forward to potential rides!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I like the Manitoulin suggestion. But my sense is that it would also be nice to camp out for a day or two there. Nothing like sitting around a fire, drinking a few beers, sharing stories, and getting to know other riders after a day of riding.

Initially - I was excited by the idea of finding some crown land to camp on. This would offer more privacy and a group of riders could still talk and laugh around the fire past 11PM (when campground quiet hours typically begin). However, from what I've read - there's not a lot of crown land left on Manitoulin.

I then discovered this campground on the far west side of the island. More remote - so it shouldn't be very crowded. It also offers some tent sites that appear somewhat removed from the rest of the park (e.g., sites 1, 2, 3, and 4 at the upper left-hand portion of the interactive map - see link).

The Mississagi L(i)ghthouse © 2006/2010

The Mississagi L(i)ghthouse © 2006/2010

mapswf.swf

What do you think Bungie?

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good find Mike!

Though I'm thinking that Meldrum Bay would be one of the destination rides. I'm working on a little surprise - our local vintage guys held an 'Isle of Man(itoulin) Rally' a few years back. I don't know if you've ever done a proper rally (note, a rally is *NOT* a race) before, but it will take you along to see some of the better parts of the island while you collect points and have some fun while you explore the largest fresh water island in the world. They've offered to share their route and scoring sheets. Great guys!

Anyway, I was looking for a campground that offered up both camping and cabin rentals. The idea being not to exclude anybody who wants to attend because of the lack of camping gear/packing. Ya, you have to abide by campground rules which is the downside.

Their are few near Mindemoya around Lake Manitou, and another near Providence Bay. The latter can be a little chilly right on the shore of Lake Huron if the weather doesn't co-operate though.

Anyway, my apologies for being a little absent in this thread lately. I've just been busier than all hell the last couple of months.

I'd like to get this nailed down before the end of March to give ppl time to plan their vacation time.

More info soon!
-Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alas, the only camping site I know straight offhand that has like 10 beds a cabin is in Algonquin park!... and they're a kids campsite that's full all year long o.o

So I took a look around the internets and came up with a couple of resources, though some of them feature cottages instead of cabins, and it's a bit hard to find something with just lots of beds.

Some things I found that might be of use are Canada's Cottage Guide: Ontario -Cabins, Cottages, Resorts and Vacation Rentals Camping & Cottage Rental - Bruce Peninsula Tobermory Ontario <-- though I don't like their conditions on payment, need to be fully paid a month in advance and no refund if you cancel... Ontario, Canada / Kanada Camping and Campgrounds by OntarioGuide.com and 2011 Rates this one is in tobermory so it's pretty close.

I have no idea how many people you're expecting or how many of them are guys vs girls, so I can't suggest any in particular, especially since I've not been to any of them, but hopefully this helps :)

Haven't been camping in a while 8D

Oh, and are people actually going to do the Friday 13th/Port Dover ride next friday that I heard about? It's January D8 If so, figure's I'd miss the first one cause of storage :(

·
Registered
529 Posts
The rally idea would be fun too. Give everyone a chance to explore the island.

Draekaar - I don't think we would need several big cabins. I suspect that most would be camping in tents. I think we would need a park or campground that offers campsites to put some tents on, as well as a few small cabins for some riders who prefer to camp in comfort. :)

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Draekaar - I don't think we would need several big cabins. I suspect that most would be camping in tents. I think we would need a park or campground that offers campsites to put some tents on, as well as a few small cabins for some riders who prefer to camp in comfort. :)
I looked up those ideas based on what Steve had said before me, "Anyway, I was looking for a campground that offered up both camping and cabin rentals. The idea being not to exclude anybody who wants to attend because of the lack of camping gear/packing. Ya, you have to abide by campground rules which is the downside."

I had a tent a long time ago, but I don't know if I'd be able to fit one on the bike at all, so I agree with his idea to have the option of a cabin with beds for people who don't have a tent or can't bring one.

Also, I must sound pretty stupid, but what do people do at a rally then? I'm pretty new to the biking thing 8D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alas, the only camping site I know straight offhand that has like 10 beds a cabin is in Algonquin park!... and they're a kids campsite that's full all year long o.o
Their's no riding in Algonquin Park. Just Hwy 60 through it. In fact, even the ride through the Park is pretty boring unless it's at the peak of the fall colours. Though the East side of the park puts you in the vicinity of Barry's Bay and day rides out to the Calabogie area which is REALLY good riding.

It's still high on the list of potential sites. The issue is travel distance. I'm trying to keep this all manageable for everybody, North, South, East and West

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a tent a long time ago, but I don't know if I'd be able to fit one on the bike at all, so I agree with his idea to have the option of a cabin with beds for people who don't have a tent or can't bring one.

Also, I must sound pretty stupid, but what do people do at a rally then? I'm pretty new to the biking thing 8D
Bingo Draekarr. Some of us bike camp regularly, but I'd bet the vast majority don't. Having some cabins available at a reasonable price is the along with tent space is the best option.

Every year the FJR guys do a 'campout' somewhere in TN/NC. It's a blast! But the vast majority end up going the cabin route.

As for the rally,

Everybody is issued a series of locations that have point values attached to them. The idea is to get as many points as possible by documenting you were there in a day. Their are way to many locations to do in one day. So route planning become important.

At the end of the day, everybodies point's are totaled up and the standings are announced. Their are bonus points for certain things such as 'log cabins', and miles covered.

Their are also demerit points. Your license/insurance is put in a sealed envelope. If that seal is broken at the end of the rally, you are disqualified (meaning if you get pulled over your rally is finito!)

The idea is all the locations hold some interest so you see some cool stuff and have a good time. It's not a race!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Every year the FJR guys do a 'campout' somewhere in TN/NC. It's a blast! But the vast majority end up going the cabin route.
Majority are in cabins?!? Where's the adventure in that?! Please tell me they are not from Northern Ontario....Ha..ha...:D

Then again, my accommodations are as posh as they get for motorcycle tent camping.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jeebus that's a bit exorbitant of a tent o.o

I had one of those dinky 3-persons-but-not-really-3-persons that only really fit one person + luggage. I suppose if I get that saddlebag set I want then I COULD strap it down with bungie cords or something, but... it's long since lost in a garage.

I could see some people having a bigger advantage over others in the rally location-hunt thing, depending on who's got the bigger gas tank XD I know hypothetically I should be able to go as far as the car but in reality it's a good chunk less... so definitely need to know where the gas stations are o.o

I sincerely hope I can go when this is planned! It sounds like a LOT of fun :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Jeebus that's a bit exorbitant of a tent o.o
The great thing about the Nemo Andi single-walled tent is that there is no fly. The tent is completely waterproof (even in heavy extended rains that I've experienced). So setup (using only 2 poles) is super simple and easy, just insert the two poles and there you go. It takes only a couple of minutes. And it packs down to a size that is about the same as a football - so it easily fits in one of my saddlebags. And the cot is 15" above the floor - so all of my gear can be place conveniently underneath. A nice and efficient use of space for motorcycle camping. And super comfortable. I sleep just like at home!

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts