Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had overheated my 2012 cbr 250 bc there as a leak in my rad hose and now my timing can gears and surrounding areas have score marks in it and I was wondering if I would be able to somehow file it down to where all the rough edges are smooth out if I would have a problem with them setting in there afterwards or am I going to have to go and buy all new

·
Registered
498 Posts
When you overheat your engine, doesn't it usually affect the head gasket first? If the engine got hot enough, very possible your piston got warped and scored the cylinder.

Not too sure what you mean when you say timing can gears and surrounding areas. Maybe you can assist by taking pictures and posting them here.

For proper diagnostics, you will have to get the engine out. Even if you have issues with the piston and the cylinder, you can always overbore and get the cylinder machined.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most likely headgasket is blown also... Take off head and get photos of cylinder bores. Disassemble rest of engine and get photos of sides of piston. Along with condition of crank-journal and bearings.

So I had overheated my 2012 cbr 250 bc there as a leak in my rad hose and now my timing can gears and surrounding areas have score marks in it and I was wondering if I would be able to somehow file it down to where all the rough edges are smooth out if I would have a problem with them setting in there afterwards or am I going to have to go and buy all new
Issue here is oil-clearance amounts. Measure diameter of factory cam-journals and then cam-carriers with caps in place. That measurement is precise 0.020-0.062mm from end to end. This gives levitation phenomenon known as hydrodynamic wedge when cam is spun in proper weight oil.

When you do not have uniform clearance, it breaks levitation and part no longer floats centrally in carrier. Won't last long even if you were able to repair gouges and edges on cam journal.

Save yourself lots of wasted time, money and energy. Get used replacement engine and spend weekend swapping it in..

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
851 Posts
There is no red hose, there is a black hose with a red LINE, the one that collects the fuel vapors from the tank into the canister. Please upload a video to YouTube and explain to us your problem on VID. Or maybe it's simpler for you to go a qualified mechanic, he will surely know what to do.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
By "rad hose" he meant radiator hose.

I assume you mean "cam gear" as well.

If you have scoring on the cam lobes there is significant damage there, and elsewhere.

Post a photo of the area in question if you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts