Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new user to the forum, but have been reading in them for months now. Currently living in the state of Florida I would like to give you my full thoughts on the Honda 250. First off to start, previously I owned a Kawasaki 250 2008. Put about 5k miles on it and sold it this year. Once I saw Honda had a 250 coming out, I had to make it mine( I own all Honda cars, and always have.) So coming from the Kawasaki to the Honda here are my overall thoughts.

Looks- I loved the look of my Kawasaki, how it felt and looked as a full sized bike. Both bikes I owned were and are black models. Once I saw the honda in person I was astonished by it. I don't know why... Online pictures do no justice. I hated the red online, but in person it became a Meh.

Speed- The only downside to the Honda that I noticed was the speed compared to my Kawasaki. Not to say the take off isn't fast, it still is. But talking about being at 50mph and wanting to go 60 but you're already in last gear... It will take a few seconds.. If your going up hill.. Forget about it.

Overall Feel- Shifting on this bike was just perfect. So smooth and such a smooth ride... I don't know if it's the cylinder or the bigger wheel but it was much smoother on the road. The seat as far as comfort goes was much much better. Although I see after years that kind of seat will need to be replaced. I rode about 60 miles before I needed to readjust myself. Considering I am 6' 3" I was fairly comfortable on this bike. After some time my right leg wanted to fall asleep.. I don't know if it was the positioning of the break making my foot stay flat or what... The clutch is a easy grab compared to the Kawasaki, but I had no problem with it, and now like the smooth feeling much better, as the rest of the bike feels.

MPG- Is it 5 bars full or 4 bars full....? Anyways I got to 84 miles before it went to 3 bars of gas. The console is just beautiful, a mini Honda's car console. Blue light up at night. The night I brought it home I drove from a full tank 134 miles. When she was parked it has 2 bars full. I really wish they would have done a percentage or a number or something better than digital bars. But compared to a Kawasaki ninja console, it makes it look like a toy.

Sound- A big thing scaring me was people talking about how it sounded. When the dealer started it up I was much happier in person. The Kawasaki has a higher pitch sound, as the Honda is much deeper. Don't get me wrong I hate the sound of Harley's when I'm trying to sleep or walk in peace. But the Honda sounds great.

ACC- As much as I wanted led lighting I didn't get it... Although I did buy myself a 600cc cover for the bike. Chain grease for Florida's salty air. A wheel lock. Of course a new visor for my old helmet. Remember when you buy from the dealer you get the bike at you usually get a discount on all the stuff you buy. A big thing I dislike about this bike is the muffler cover. Its silver... It takes a bolt to remove, so I bought some grill heat paint to make it black.

Overall- From owning a Kawasaki and moving to the Honda I have to admit, I love the Honda. Every single thing about this bike I like more than the Kawasaki. With the exception of the speeding up at higher speeds. But hey you got to give to get. And with 25 more mpg that's a give.

·
281 Posts
dsk! Thanks for sharing your initial ride thoughts ...very thorough and quite significant since you are coming off the Kawi250. That 50-60 thing...hopefully it will happen sooner when you can downshift out of 6th and increase your rpm's...I am assuming you wanted to keep the rpm's down for break-in? Or are you saying that won't help? Really appreciate your comments ! Wheels down!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Speed- The only downside to the Honda that I noticed was the speed compared to my Kawasaki. Not to say the take off isn't fast, it still is. But talking about being at 50mph and wanting to go 60 but you're already in last gear... It will take a few seconds.. If your going up hill.. Forget about it.
I believe that 6th gear on the CBR250R is long - geared more for fuel-economy on the highway. Drop it down to 5th or 4th if you want to take off from 50 mph. :) Oh - and BTW - thanks for the detailed and useful insights on your new CBR250R!!

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense, I will give that a try. The dealer explained to me no need to break it in or be too careful, as Honda pre breaks the engines in. He did say don't stay at a continuous speed all the way home. Do 50 then 60 then 52 then 65 exc. Just to push different rpms. As the seals are not 100% broken in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown DsK. I picked up a black one yesterday and then joined the forum today and I've got to agree with you on every point (except choosing to paint the muffler cover).
The bike is SUPER smooth. When I watched the honda advertisment video I thought the times when it cut to floating through some random clouds was cheesy but now I understand what they were getting at. The 250R is so much fun to get going from a stop then once you get it to speed its so smooth, so silent and so comfortable that you really do just float.
By far the best 250 i've ever been on and possibly one of the best in any size. This bike is Zen...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Florida?

So are they in dealerships in Florida now??
I'm in the Tampa area and I am very interested in buying one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are they in dealerships in Florida now??
I'm in the Tampa area and I am very interested in buying one!

Best of Luck. I put money down on one after calling weeks ahead of time. Finally they started taking money to hold one. I guess the night it came in people literally fought over it if I didn't show. You may be able to walk in and grab one. Call around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the review. I gotta admit when I test drove a Ninja 250 a few months ago, I wasn't that impressed by it. Now I am very much looking forward to getting on the CBR 250.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks a lot for the comments. It is great to get a real comparison with the Ninja. It helps me to remain patient waiting on mine. A red ABS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ditto to Kutter's remarks. As much as magazine reviews are useful, there's no substitute for consumer experiences/reports. Keep 'em coming! still waiting on my red ABS too... i gather no one in the US has taken delivery of an ABS version yet? I don't think anyone in Canada has a CBR, period.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice review. I too am waiting on a red abs. Dealer called Tuesday and I went out and sat on a non abs (Tuesday and yesterday). Seemed just right, in every way. Rode a ninja 250 years back but it did not really impress me at the time. I am getting worried we will not see abs for a long time. Tempted to get a non abs, but I've waited this long and yes I know how to brake properly but if it saves me from an accident just one time in a panic situation I think it is worth it. So far that thought has kept me from buying the non abs. Very cool bike and person and amazing how many shapes and sizes it fits.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great review dsk!

I have to agree with you on all points. I brought my black non-ABS home Tuesday. What a fun bike! I really like the fact that if you try for 7th gear (or even 0/-1 gear) the feedback to your foot says clearly "Nothing more here.". On my old Shadow Spirit there was noticeable travel before you found out there wasn't another gear available. On the CBR250R you know immediately. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone ridden up a big fairly steep bridge yet at highway speeds?
Can the CBR handle that?
Sunshine Skyway, FL to be specific.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone ridden up a big fairly steep bridge yet at highway speeds?
Can the CBR handle that?
Sunshine Skyway, FL to be specific.

I hit the 18 mile stretch bridge that takes you into the Florida keys... I was at 50mph (last gear) and floored it and after about 4 seconds i got to 51.

Btw everyone else, mine is non abs. I had money on a abs model but said forget it I'm not waiting again. The dealer has a actual date of shipment for more now only 2 weeks away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
51?! thats it? it took four seconds to make a 1mph difference?
I would have to at least do 70mph uphill to keep up with traffic hahaha..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
51?! thats it? it took four seconds to make a 1mph difference?
I would have to at least do 70mph uphill to keep up with traffic hahaha..

Very steep bridge. I was just barley doing 49 then hit 50 going up at start then I tested it to go higher and it was really pushing. It definitely didn't drop any mph. Whatever your going you will stay at.

·
281 Posts
Todays bad news from my dealer in Oregon: he claims the Honda rep was in and has no idea when the dealership will ever see the ABS models?!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The latest from my dealer was that he has been allocated 1 ABS (Red) and it is expected to show possibly in late July early August. I have also been in contact with all the dealers in Denver and they all say more or less the same thing, no idea when they will see an abs, a couple had possible dates, but nothing firm. And I am inclined to believe my dealer as his information for the non abs was spot on. I switched my order to a non abs.

·
281 Posts
cfiore99, thanks for your input...not what I wanted to hear but gives credibility to my dealer anyway. all very disheartening..............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts