Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CBR was one of the first batch, ridden out of the dealers on 22nd Dec. 2010. The end and side of the exhaust has become really rusty and it's spreading. Not even 9 months old.

A guy in my condo bought a new one last month and the exhaust looks different to mine, looks like it's been coated in paint.

I'm going to have to act soon enough. I painted the rims and exhaust cover my self, and could do the actual exhaust too if I knew about the paint.

Anybody know if there's paint available that will take the heat of the pipe? Some sort of BBQ paint or something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to auto zone or hi lo auto supply they sell flat black engine paint good to 2000 degrees. I think its rustoleum. I used it on mine and it worked fine.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I live in Thailand but the name Rustoleum rings a bell, think they have it in the Home Decor shops here. Will check it out thanks.

BTW, if I did it myself does anyone know if its a case of sanding off the rust, cleaning, then spraying, and that's it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i would rough up the surface so the paint has something to hold on to... otherwise it will chip off over time.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up a can of Rust-oleum High heat paint today, with wire brush and sandpaper. Is heat resistant to 1200f, 648c.

Doubt it gets hotter than that. :) Will give it a go on Saturday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't use a wire brush or sand paper unless you want to see the scratches. I'd use a scotch brite pad, a Red one, and use it wet with some comet or some other type of powder cleaner. Then wash and dry real well. It should be plenty course enough to remove the surface rust and will give the paint something to adhere too without any noticable scratching.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, will attack it with those first. I gave the rust a little scratch with the wire brush in the Home Pro carpark, and it came off easily, so think a scotch bright pad will be sufficient.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sanded mine with some 220 grit or something. Don't see any scratches in the final result... But I did 10+ light coats before I was done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
any pics anyone?? i want my exhaust cover black but want to see an outcome first

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check out the link in my sig.

The exhaust (not just the heatshield) is still perfect after having it painted with the heat-resistant paint.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not high quality, but it gives you the idea. It was a matte finish, but I think I put 2 too many coats on. It got a little shiny, but I kinda like it
Did you remove the exhaust to paint it? I hate the silver on my black cbr and would like to do this to mine till I can get my carbon fiber yoshi. Sorry if it's a "duh!" question. I pull the girl card.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
118 Posts
Girl card works. I pulled the shield off. One bolt and it pulls off backwards. Has two or three little brackets it just slides into. About a 30 second removal and install.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Did you remove the exhaust to paint it? I hate the silver on my black cbr and would like to do this to mine till I can get my carbon fiber yoshi. Sorry if it's a "duh!" question. I pull the girl card.
No just take off the heat shield.
Use Rustoleum high heat spray paint in flat black.
Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot....cheap.
Don't have to sand the shield. Just spray it.
Looks a thousand times better!

I have the Leo Vince LV ONE EVO II slip on.
Titanium finish or carbon.
Sounds great. Comes with inserts and disc to make it as quiet or loud as you want.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did sand mine. And cleaned it off w/ paint thinner. Don't know if it made any difference but I felt better about it. It changed the look of the bike a lot to me. I didn't like the stock exhaust but didn't really want the noise of an aftermarket one. I got to looking at the exhaust one day and realized it could look pretty good if it didn't have that hideous silver. Too much contrast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts