Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to change the color from silver to black, or maybe red? Never done anything like that though, what do you have to do to get it right? I assume there's more to it then taking it off and hitting it with a can of spray paint.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's the look. But what exactly do you do to get it to look like that? What kind of paint? Do you need to do anything before painting?

·
Registered
354 Posts
wash the shield in soapy water, rinse completely. you can fine sand, then hit it with BBQ black paint, or flat black header paint. rememer 2 thin coats are better than one fat glossy one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
wash the shield in soapy water, rinse completely. you can fine sand, then hit it with BBQ black paint, or flat black header paint. rememer 2 thin coats are better than one fat glossy one.
exactly.

Fine stand with 2500-3000 grit sand paper.
I usually do 4-5 thin coats.

Remember you can always add another coat of paint so take your time, don't rush it. Some people rush the paint job and end up getting runs in the paint. Your always safer with lighter coats, than thicker.

·
Registered
576 Posts
thanks.
i just sanded with a fine grit,no need to wash just use
a tack rag AFTER you wash your hands.
then just handle with rag or something so no
finger sweat gets on it.
thats about eight light coats.super lightly sanding
after the first few to make sure it;s blemish free.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so jsut saind and paint.

Looks real good lenbrinke, what kind of paint did you use exactly?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeh I think the thing to note here is you want to get a paint that can resist high temp. Correct me if Im wrong, but i believe BBW paint will and black header paint DEF will. I would suggest going to a local auto parts place and ask them what they have that can resist heat.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeh I think the thing to note here is you want to get a paint that can resist high temp. Correct me if Im wrong, but i believe BBW paint will and black header paint DEF will. I would suggest going to a local auto parts place and ask them what they have that can resist heat.
i've found that you usally get a minimum wage answer when
asking for help.maybe i just think more than others :)
just read the can to be sure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
that bike looks nice Redline,almost bigger somehow.
it;s funny how ppl sometimes dont really know
these are 250's:)

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
^^ Actually yes, it seems to look way different, immediately it looked lower and more menacing. :D Looked really nice without the rimtape but put it on as I'm getting the all black fairings next week.

^ I'm living in Thailand and it's pretty **** cheap to get them painted, so I did it myself knowing that if I screwed it up it would be an easy fix. Got a mechanic shop to take them off, then I took them to my condo and sanded, primer, sprayed, and then clear acrylic to protect and shine. Was fun to do and although not completely perfect if you examined them with a magnifying glass (some of the coats were put on too thick) I'm happy with the result.

To compare before and after:

xmas day 2010:

Exhaust guard painted:

Rims and Exhaust guard painted:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, that does look BIGGER.

So I should get some sort of clear coat to finish it off to? You do that lenbrinke?

·
Registered
576 Posts
i did;nt use a clearcoat but thats a good idea.
it was an acrylic "krylon" brand spraypaint.wasent heat paint either.
just alot of coats:D

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Yes, the paint I used said it was acrylic too, I don't know much about these things so put on the acrylic clear coat afterwards anyway. Will say that it gave it a nice even, professional finish though. I did probably 6-7 coats of each.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts