Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Heat shield color change

Yes, that's the look. But what exactly do you do to get it to look like that? What kind of paint? Do you need to do anything before painting?

I used the Krylon high temp as well and followed the instructions exactly.
Removed heat shield, wash with light dish soap and warm water, dry, hit with light degreaser.

I didnt sand it. I just put several light coats on both sides. It only takes about 10 minutes to dry in between each coat. After several coats, I followed the instructions on baking the heat shield (yes, as in literally putting it in the oven) for the time specified on the bottle. If you go this route, open windows and doors and turn on fans unless you want to lose several brain cells.

Let it cool and reinstalled.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
You will see two different finishes. Mine is a matte black like the exhaust finish. Jwanko's is more of a gloss. I think both look good and definitely helps mute that horrific exhaust.

For me I don't think its worth it to spend hundreds of dollars for a minimal HP gain at the expense of my hearing for a slip on or full exhaust.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like them both... The gloss gives another "deep finish" surface that is kind of attractive, yet the matte kind of acts as camouflage, hiding how hideous the stock exhaust looks.

Either are better than the stock silver shield, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
OK...just an update. I sprayed mine with flat black fireplace paint. I cleaned the surface, but felt that sanding was unnecessary. I did two (maybe 3) coats, waiting 20 minutes or so between each and the whole thing took me an hour, including the removal, reinstall and waiting between coats.

Last month my son dropped the bike in the driveway and scraped off some of the paint. I re-sprayed the whole thing once and it looks fine.

The paint was cheap (actually free since it was leftover) and the process was simple. I definitely would not waste time sanding the surface, but cleaning it is a good idea. Assuming that the flat black is the texture you want, then what I did has turned out to be a simple and effective method.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts