Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
@ Michael - in the States, we need basic coverage to cover whatever we hit. Y
In New Jersey you insure the other guy, its a weird system and its horribly mismanaged especially the newer PAIP system (I say newer I think its 20 years old now). California has so many uninsured people (especially where illegals are cause they cant legally get a license so they cant legally get insurance) so you are VERY wise to get "uninsured motorist coverage" which covers damage they cause to you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
At $18.53 pm / $222 per year comprehensive , $400 excess and full replacement for 2 yrs, accessories covered, riding gear covered... I'd be mad to not insure.
For this bike, for me, my situation, etc it is something like $1500/year for $300k medical, $150k property damage, $3k accessory coverage, all with a $500 deductible.

The low end of coverage is something like $108/year or something.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If dirt or hot asphalt (which gets really soft) use some type of item under the stand but in the US (or at least some states in the US) do not use an old beer can you found!!! people have been charged and convicted with "open container in a motor vehicle" violations for that.
Haha Gawd bless America and its dumb laws.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Haha Gawd bless America and its dumb laws.
Its not the law really its just the application. The law says that you cant have it in the vehicle, mostly because (and this is stupid) they like to pass laws against actions that might be an indicator that you did something else illegal. In this case they cant prove you were drinking while driving but there is an open alcoholic container in the vehicle so that is close enough.

The application is at police discretion and some cop somewhere decided that "in the vehicle" includes under the kickstand. I do not know how often this has occurred, the fact that it happened once is enough to just say "use a different can", it could have been someone was yelling at the cop over something so the cop just used that as an excuse.

Strange how under the tire of your car is not considered "in the vehicle".

I use the electrical cover plates and have tied a string to it which I tie to my handlebars. Then I can get on the bike and hold it up off the kickstand and just use the string to pick it up off the ground and put it in my bag.

I keep 3 in my bag (I gave one to a friend) because they are so cheap I went all out and spent $2 at the hardware store :) If one gets nasty because of gum or just gets stuck to the asphalt (or I forget it) I can just toss it in the trash and use my others on that trip.

·
Registered
385 Posts
For this bike, for me, my situation, etc it is something like $1500/year for $300k medical, $150k property damage, $3k accessory coverage, all with a $500 deductible.

The low end of coverage is something like $108/year or something.
I pay $151/year for liability only. I looked at coverage for the bike itself and it was ridiculous - if I can go 5 years without wrecking the bike I'll have saved enough in premiums to buy another one.
I've never even carried collision on any of my cars and I've saved more than enough in premiums over the years to buy myself a new car. And of course, if someone hits me, I can still go after them for the $$.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You pay insurance companies a HUGE premium to do your financial planning for you. Remember - unless you have a very expensive policy you won't get a new bike or even a repaired bike - just market value given age and mileage.
Then you need to get a better insurance company. :)
Here in British Columbia Canada, we have to get mandatory government insurance. But can get 3rd party insurance from private companies for the extras like theft/comprehensive etc. My 3rd party covers me for agreed value on the bike. So if in 3yrs my bike gets stolen/run over and totaled by an SUV etc. I get the full amount we agreed on at the start. (which is what the bike cost me out the door from dealer - 500$ deductable)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I pay $151/year for liability only. I looked at coverage for the bike itself and it was ridiculous - if I can go 5 years without wrecking the bike I'll have saved enough in premiums to buy another one.
I've never even carried collision on any of my cars and I've saved more than enough in premiums over the years to buy myself a new car. And of course, if someone hits me, I can still go after them for the $$.
I'm the complete opposite, Ive written off 2 motorcycles and one stolen totalling at least $30k over the years without insurance.
So the measly $222 to comprehensively insure the cbr should someone drive over it or into it , or steal it is good insurance.

Wont cover me if I bin it at the track but covered even if it falls off the trailer on the way home.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Agree with everything except the insurance part. Even riders whose bikes go down will, if they keep riding, pay far more in premiums than they will ever collect. The only reason to insure a bike is if it is your sole means of transportation and you have no savings. Otherwise "self insure" - set aside some $$ each month for the fall you know will eventually happen just as you do for all the other bad stuff you know will happen sooner or later. You pay insurance companies a HUGE premium to do your financial planning for you. Remember - unless you have a very expensive policy you won't get a new bike or even a repaired bike - just market value given age and mileage.

except for the medical bill thingy

·
Registered
385 Posts
except for the medical bill thingy
Your liability should cover injuries you cause to others. Your health insurance covers your own injuries just as it would if you injured yourself hang-gliding, mountain biking, or doing anything else dangerous.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In many (probably most) developed countries Third Party coverage is compulsory. However in my home country, New Zealand, it is (or was, I don't know about now) not required, but most people have it.

Here in Thailand no basic cover for a vehicle is required. It's up to you.
Michael. That is the 2nd time your wrong on the insurance front. 1st class insurance is available up to 10 years old (i will admit it's not easy to find) And 3rd party insurance is indeed compulsory for all plated vehicles in Thailand (you buy it the same time as the road tax, so that's why you may not notice it)

It is on the whole amazingly cheap with ltd cover but it is compulsory. Bikes start from 325b up to 645b

see here .. Thailand Auto Insurance

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Michael. That is the 2nd time your wrong on the insurance front. 1st class insurance is available up to 10 years old (i will admit it's not easy to find) And 3rd party insurance is indeed compulsory for all plated vehicles in Thailand (you buy it the same time as the road tax, so that's why you may not notice it)

It is on the whole amazingly cheap with ltd cover but it is compulsory. Bikes start from 325b up to 645b

see here .. Thailand Auto Insurance
I have no doubt that comprehensive insurance is available, and would be required for someone buying a bike on time payment. Outside that few people on small bikes bother; I certainly don't know anybody who does. You would be hard pushed to find a small rental that is covered. My own bike is over 14 years old now.

I am sure many people on mid sized and large motorcycles do have comprehensive insurance, and i know many, if not most big bike rentals are covered.

The compulsory insurance is not strictly speaking third party insurance. It does not cover damage to property or any vehicle in an accident. It only provides for somewhat basic medical cover for injuries in the case of a road accident.

It is only valid if the driver/rider has a valid Driving Licence, which is often interpreted as a Thai driving licence. For that reason the police are often involved in negotiations when there is an accident, and will be looking for compensation from whoever they deem to be at fault / they figure can be squeezed.

I am aware of paying for compulsory insurance, but it insures in the case of injury; there is no cover for damage to a vehicle. I buy it (325 baht) and present a receipt when I register my motorcycle.

If a foreigner is involved in an accident one thing the "Rescue" people do is check that he or she has evidence of being able to pay for treatment before throwing them on the back of the pick-up and deciding which hospital to cart them off to.

Medical cover is supposed to come with my job, but it is all a bit vague. I would be expected to cough up and then claim on the receipts. That is one reason that I do have basic medical cover which would see me admitted to a lower level (but adequate) private hospital and treated, should the worst happen.

It costs me 12,000 baht a year at present. In the eight or nine years I have been covered I have had one claim. I was in hospital for a week with dengue fever. The bill came to about 20,000 baht, and it went directly to the insurance company.

These days Rescue Charity volunteers do have some paramedic training, and their vehicles do carry some medical equipment. Saving lives has become part of their mission. In days of yore it was more about getting the injured to a hospital so that if they were going to die it would be in an appropriate place, so the "Phi" (life spirit, soul, or whatever you want to call it) know where to go when it leaves the body. The don't like to have people dying in an inappropriate place..... the ghost might not know where to go, so hang around and haunt the area. Or so they believe.

In NZ it is similar, except that the Accident Compensation Commission levy is included in the registration cost. It is now over $NZ 400 a year to register a small to mid sized bike, and over $500 for a big bike. That provides cover for injuries in an accident, but there is no cover for damage to any vehicle or property.

Third Party Insurance is not compulsory in NZ, but I used to have cover for my bikes. When I returned to NZ and bought the MB100 in the mid 80's they would only offer comprehensive cover...... over $200 to cover a bike I bought for $900; I didn't bother.

In England, and many other countries, Third Party Insurance, which covers damage to other vehicles and property is compulsory. I used to take out Fire, Theft and Third Party Insurance there. I had two claims, both for theft. The payouts were £300 and £200 respectively.

Now, tell me what else you know that I don't.

·
Registered
133 Posts
FROM
"I don't know about the big bike aristocrats, but no insurance for plebs around these tropical parts. I doubt that any insurance company would even consider covering us."

TO THIS
"I have no doubt that comprehensive insurance is available,"

You need to make up your mind, either there is insurance or not. Agreed not many Thai's opt for additional Insurance but some do and as more bigger bikes are coming that minority is getting larger.

"It is only valid if the driver/rider has a valid Driving Licence, which is often interpreted as a Thai driving licence."

The basic insurance is valid for any legal Driving licence example a UK licence with an international permit.
details..www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=4
That's the law. Again in the country of Phuket (as in not the real Thailand) the BIB are a law into themselves but luckily for most of the rest of us in Thailand it's fine.

Your are correct about the compulsory insurance only covering bodily damage. But then the added on website kinda made that plain.
Stop being a grumpy old bastard.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts