Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i begin I’d like to start off with admitting that i have barely an idea of how engine work. So if i miss label something that’s my bad.
So after working on my bike for 2 months and replacing a few parts i finally took the top engine cover to find the inlet camshaft has a bit of wear and tear. So far i find the replacement part for that. BUT what in GODs green earth is the name of part that goes over that and more importantly where does one buy this dam thing.

Also quick question. Is this pretty common in this bike.I noticed that there was another thread that almost had the same pictures as mine. When i went to loose the bolts they were completely loosen on the left inlet valve which i found a bit odd since they were it went bad.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
746 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so if I understand correctly the pictures are taken from the forum and they are NOT pictures of your engine. I understand it right?
i have barely an idea of how engine work
Motorcycle mechanics is a very serious matter, which requires a lot of knowledge in several fields. Knowing the theory of mechanics is only one area of knowledge. You need a tool cabinet with the right tools for this type of work. You need to know how to operate those tools. You need technical literature of your motorcycle. You need to know the safety rules, in order to avoid very serious injuries....I recommend you to stop the work and take a mechanics course for beginners, and continue to complete from there any other lack of knowledge you discover you need...and only then It will be right for you to go back and try to repair your motorcycle yourself.
the inlet camshaft has a bit of wear and tear
It is not enough to replace the worn parts, you have to check if other damages have been caused to other parts, and you have to check what caused that wear: oil leakage, low oil pressure, blockage of the oil passage, then why the passage was blocked, cooling problems... and there are other options.
where does one buy this dam thing?
There are many good websites where you can order spare parts, here is a link to one of them (there you can also see the catalog number of the part you need):
LINK TO PARTZILLA
When i went to loose the bolts they were completely loosen on the left inlet valve
In your situation I would not start ordering parts before I finish diagnosing the entire problems. Maybe you will find that it is better to buy a complete new engine? Maybe you will find that the renovation is to expensive and you give it up?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Eddy, I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just sharing my knowledge and ideas, I don't know you, I don't know your motorcycle either.
Please try to decide what is best for you. Only you know what is best for you.

Reactions: TrueFaith

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Eddy.
I'm impressed with your fearlessness in tearing down an engine you admit you're unfamiliar with, but could you be getting in over your head? I've succeeded in doing major repairs on my car that I wasn't sure I was capable of thanks to YouTube videos and forums like this, but I always ask myself 2 questions before I even pick up a wrench:
1.) Am I sure I have the basic understanding, tools and confidence to actually complete this repair?
2.) Is there an "exit strategy" if I get halfway through and realize I'm not as capable as I thought or if it's obvious that I'm just making things worse? In other words, can I put it back together as easily as it came apart?
The sheer precision with hand tools, torque specs and parts tracking methods required when rebuilding an engine can be daunting for pros. While your ambition is admirable, it won't count for much if you get a torque spec wrong or miss a step and you actually make things worse and/or your engine blows on start-up.
I know this is not a job I would attempt, given my own meager understanding of the CBR250R's engine, but whatever you do please do it safely!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the advice! Also, yes those pictures are my own. Unfortunately i live in a more remote part and the only dealer i have that can look at my bike wasnt to keen to work on it. I'm not sure why but since its summer time here I'm assuming there working on other equipment that brings them in more money. Right now i am in a place where i can go back and put it back together no problem but I can finally see what my issue has been for the last few months and i just cant look away. I dont believe i had any blockage though because i did see a bit of oil at the top of the engine and all of the damage was done where the bolts were loosened up. I have looked at the links from Partzilla and please correct me if i'm wrong but i dont see anything pointing to the top parts that go over the camshaft.
Organism Font Auto part Automotive exterior Slope

Yes i know i can be over my head on this one but honestly my engine doesnt work right now and I have no one else that wants to work on it that can work on it. So if i do end up fixing it that would be awesome but if i dont well i'm not out anything.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thank you very much for the advice! Also, yes those pictures are my own. Unfortunately i live in a more remote part and the only dealer i have that can look at my bike wasnt to keen to work on it. I'm not sure why but since its summer time here I'm assuming there working on other equipment that brings them in more money. Right now i am in a place where i can go back and put it back together no problem but I can finally see what my issue has been for the last few months and i just cant look away. I dont believe i had any blockage though because i did see a bit of oil at the top of the engine and all of the damage was done where the bolts were loosened up. I have looked at the links from Partzilla and please correct me if i'm wrong but i dont see anything pointing to the top parts that go over the camshaft. View attachment 45535

Yes i know i can be over my head on this one but honestly my engine doesnt work right now and I have no one else that wants to work on it that can work on it. So if i do end up fixing it that would be awesome but if i dont well i'm not out anything.
You do it your way, an interesting way, and I have respect for your way. If you think the wear was caused by loose screws, then maybe you are right and the damage can be summed up by what you see with your eyes. But because of the wear, you will also find metal chips in the screen filter(LINK#2 LINK#3), which may impair the oil flow. Depends on how clogged the screen is. And it seems to me that you are looking for other parts that are in this scheme:
LINK#4 TO PARTZILLA

·
Registered
746 Posts
OIL FILTER SCREEN
15421-KYJ-900
Product Rectangle Font Gadget Line

You don't need to buy it, it's a reusable screen, you clean it and put it back in place. The picture is just so you know which filter is that "screen filter".

·
Registered
746 Posts
What is the state of wear on the engine head itself, part number:
CYLINDER HEAD
12010-KYJ-900
Organism Font Line Map Motor vehicle

Note that when you ordered the cylinder head, it already includes the two parts you marked in the sketch above.
Organism Font Line Auto part Diagram

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you I'll have to take a look at the oil filter thats a pretty good idea.

Also, I havent ordered the parts yet i was hoping to get them ordered all at once since it takes a while for things to get to me and i havent taken out the camshaft yet so i can take some more pictures and mark exactly where everything is. But, that is a very good point you make about potential damage to the engine head. I didnt think about the possibility that everything around the camshaft would also be worn out.

I'll get everything setup where i have everything labeled, take out the camshaft to inspect the cylinder head and report my findings.

Again Thank you so much for all the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts