Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished up the course today, what a weekend. I'm worn out lol, didn't think It would tire me out so much. I'm definitely glad I took the course, but got left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth. There were 8 people in the class and one that came in on the last day to retest on her skills test. Everyone passed so that was really cool. The first and second day were really enjoyable due to the instructors, but the main instructor had some family stuff today, mothers day and all, so they had a different instructor there.

He was a pretty hard nosed type but seemed ok at first but about halfway through the exercises he started getting a bit aggressive. At one point he pulled the entire class aside and started bitching at everyone because about all of us at one point or another would stall the bike. He was telling us how we were going to die if we didn't get this stuff down and that he wouldn't pass us even if we got a passing score if he didn't think we were ready, which was followed up by a story about a guy that got 16 points on the test but he refused to give the guy his completion card.

I'm sure all of us realize the risks involved with motorcycling, we definitely didn't need someone talking to us like that though. I mean I was under the impression that the BRC is a beginners course....people are going to be working through issues like stalls and putting feet down and what not. It really lowered the morale of the entire class and I didn't do well on the next exercise because the whole situation bothered me so much. One of the women that was taking the class got picked on by him more than the rest of us. At one point after we came back into the staging lane he walked up behind her and hit her in the back of the helmet with his notebook and made some smart comment...I mean wtf. We took a break after that and I stepped aside to grab a drink of water when I noticed she was standing behind a trailer crying.

So anyway we all ended up passing the skills test, I got 13 points and aced the written test. Also took the states written test friday and aced it so i'm all set to get my endorsement tomorrow....yahoo! :D

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Wow! Were any complaints registered? That instructor sounds like a self inflated egotisical ass. I'm glad you survived the experience though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
congrats on passing!! i remembered my msf course i was the one being picked on because i wasnt turning my head enough .. but all's well that ends well .. ride safe !!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
That almost makes the DMV look like a rational choice instead...sorry to hear about that. I'll be registering for the class shortly, I hope I don't get someone like that. I may accidentally pop the clutch up his backside...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bet he has some issues with people getting hurt that he has coached and or from his past (could be why he does this) and it strikes a nerve that causes him to overcompensate. I would however like to give the lady crying behind the trailer a hug :/

·
Registered
83 Posts
That almost makes the DMV look like a rational choice instead...sorry to hear about that. I'll be registering for the class shortly, I hope I don't get someone like that. I may accidentally pop the clutch up his backside...
your always going to have a-h*les instructors lecturing you on different things on your life .. but its the knowledge we get out of it that is important .. yeah my instructor was a douche and so was my former teachers .. but i still learned from them even tho it wasnt the most pleasant experiences .. the msf course i say is a must have .. especially for beginners .. plus you can bypass the DMV test (atlast here in nevada) .. and the msf would probably be more forgiving than the DMV cause u get to spend 3 days with msf and only a couple of minutes with a dmv instructor .. i dont know how much your going to pay for the course .. mine was only $100 and i heard that to take the test at a dmv it would cost $60 or $70 iono .. so i basically payed only $30 for a 3 day course and rode their bikes ..

bottom line .. take the msf course even if theres a-h*les teachin it ..

·
Registered
350 Posts
The course is well worth the time and money... There will always be those with power issues scattered around... Sh!t happens, unfortunately...

If you have a free 1/2 hour, and feel the need, send an e-mail. I would.

Congrats on passing... and as *my* MSF instructor once said: "one more biker on the road to wave at..."

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow that's awful. They send out a review for you to fill out about the class from the msf. Our instructors said they take those reviews VERY seriously too. I'd leave a horrible rating for that idiot and some comments about his behavior. If he had done that to my wife when we went I would have knocked his teeth down his throat. We had very good instructors that were very patient with the brand new riders. Like you said, it's a beginners course!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd def have a complaint filed. ESPECIALLY if I were the lady he smacked in the helmet. Who does he think he is to make physical contact in any manner with a student? That's uncalled for and does nothing except interfere with your learning by demeaning you and causing you unnecessary stress, as if learning to ride isn't stressful enough.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is pretty typical

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Were any complaints registered? That instructor sounds like a self inflated egotisical ass. I'm glad you survived the experience though.
I left a comment about him on the survey at the end of the class. He made sure to emphasize that we were rating all three of the instructors since they had all participated at some point.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bet he has some issues with people getting hurt that he has coached and or from his past (could be why he does this) and it strikes a nerve that causes him to overcompensate. I would however like to give the lady crying behind the trailer a hug :/
Yea I think that was part of the issue. He told us about a student he had that was dead within two weeks of finishing the class. Evidently the guy bought a super sport as his first bike, blew threw an intersection trying to beat a light and t-boned a truck. Said it split the guy in half. That does suck and i'm sure was a really bad situation but still that was the guy's own irresponsibility that caused that issue, not the skills he learned in the BRC.

Another big part of the issue was that he seemed to be one of those super cocky, what I say is pure gold type of people. He did have some good information to give us, no doubt, but his presentation of that information just blew.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ugh I was looking forward to signing up for the class near me .. but now I'm not.

Still going to do it tho.. :- / I had enough of BS from bootcamp. (army)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd def have a complaint filed. ESPECIALLY if I were the lady he smacked in the helmet. Who does he think he is to make physical contact in any manner with a student? That's uncalled for and does nothing except interfere with your learning by demeaning you and causing you unnecessary stress, as if learning to ride isn't stressful enough.
I felt really bad for her. She was taking the class with her husband and you could tell he was really pissed. I would have been too, for sure.

The class was about half and half of those that had ridden before and those that hadn't. Two of the guys that hadn't ridden before had already bought bikes but were waiting to ride them till after the course. One of them bought a cbr600rr. He was 24 and seemed to have a good level head so hopefully he will do ok starting out on that bike. The other guy bought a ducati st4...I can only wish him the best with that...he was really having some clutch control issues throughout the class. On one of the exercises he accidently dumped the clutch shifting into 2nd and just about lost it barreling directly towards the instructors on the honda rebel he was riding. I'd hate to think what would happen if he did that on his ducati.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh I was looking forward to signing up for the class near me .. but now I'm not.

Still going to do it tho.. :- / I had enough of BS from bootcamp. (army)
I would 100% without reservation reccomend taking the course, even if you do end up with an as*hat instructor. The stuff they teach you is really good and helps you recognize what you need to practice on when you get out on your own.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I felt really bad for her. She was taking the class with her husband and you could tell he was really pissed. I would have been too, for sure.

The class was about half and half of those that had ridden before and those that hadn't. Two of the guys that hadn't ridden before had already bought bikes but were waiting to ride them till after the course. One of them bought a cbr600rr. He was 24 and seemed to have a good level head so hopefully he will do ok starting out on that bike. The other guy bought a ducati st4...I can only wish him the best with that...he was really having some clutch control issues throughout the class. On one of the exercises he accidently dumped the clutch shifting into 2nd and just about lost it barreling directly towards the instructors on the honda rebel he was riding. I'd hate to think what would happen if he did that on his ducati.

I can understand where he might be a little harder bc of the death of one of his students (as you mentioned in another post), and the beginner with a ducati......wow......but still. The instructors we had here in Pa were awesome. You definitely got the point that they were here to teach you and not to let you play around (bc that's how people get hurt) but at no point did they make any of us feel bad about the mistakes we were making or feel stupid because this is a beginners course! If he wants to be a hard nosed instructor he needs to stick to teaching the advanced course. I had a class with an elderly lady who wasn't even allowed to test because she was having so many problems, but in her defense she had never even sat on a bike until our first riding day, so I think she made phenomenal progress. It broke her heart, but they didn't make her feel like an idiot for it. I can only imagine what would have happened if he had treated HER that way......our entire class probably would have boycotted him right then and there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Good job on passing the class, I agree, they are worth it. Sorry your 'substitute' was such a jackass. Maybe he was just pissed about having to cover for the other guy, maybe upset about the loss of a former student, probably a bit of both.

Stalling can definitely be dangerous, especially at an intersection that only has a stop sign for one of the roads, but there's a line between being firm but understanding and being an abusive jackass. No amount of yelling is going to stop idiots from being idiots, be they on 2 wheels or 4.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Some pple wld consider being demeaned, yelled at, belittled and then hit up back the head as asaualt. That instructor is getting off lighty if little is reported on his "teaching style". Students look up to intructors, regardless of their age. Instructors are to provide a service, in which they are being paid to do. The example they set is all apart of the instruction, which shd include building a positive learning enviornment.

When someone decides to become an instructor the informed, mature person wld factor in the future students and the life experience they bring to the plate. Especially with adult learners. It wld be a tragedy if that poor woman who was struck, then later found crying behind a trailer came from a abusive back ground. :(

That instuctor shd either leave the world of instucting or go through another instructor training program. Perhaps he's not good teaching material:mad:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Glad you guys passed but there's no need for that. In an already stressful and rushed situation, that kind of behavior is completely uncalled for no matter what your past experiences as an instructor may have been. Students look to instructors for guidance, reassurance, and encouragement. The msf course isn't 10 weeks of boot camp. You only have a few hours to improve on a skill that takes years to master and every time you beat someone down for a tiny mistake, it will take them a while to get their confidence back. Dude needs to get suspended. Its a basic course. Jesus.

My class is in less than 25 days. Hope I dont get an a**h*le like that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts