Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I have been looking for a storage solution for this bike. The current solution for a top case really extends the rear of the bike, and I'm not sure if that's a way I want to go.

The passenger seat locks into place and is fully removable. With some fabrication, a top case might be modified to attach directly to the passenger seat. This would make it part of the bike, and not sticking out behind it, and would also make it very quickly removable for when you want to stick the passenger cowl or passenger seat back on.

Has anybody with better fab/creativity skills than me tried anything like this?

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like a new pillion will cost you 40 bucks (30 if you don't want to support a local dealer). I'd bet you could buy one, remove the cover and foam, and bolt your top case to that (perhaps with something in between to keep the case more stable and horizontal).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I mounted a Givi box on my rear seat. I shaved the foam and drilled into the seat and mounted the Givi mount to it. I had to use longer bolts to mount them through the little bit of foam and seat left. I also used some rubber squares pieces to stop the seat and mount from moving too much. I'll post some more pictures when I get home.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
I mounted a Givi box on my rear seat. I shaved the foam and drilled into the seat and mounted the Givi mount to it. I had to use longer bolts to mount them through the little bit of foam and seat left. I also used some rubber squares pieces to stop the seat and mount from moving too much. I'll post some more pictures when I get home.
What size box is that? I am still considering this option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks - this is exactly what I had pictured. I think it looks great, by the way. Nicely done.

Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Was it a PIA to do? I like this option much better than the standard top box as it doesn't extend the bike...but on the other hand I'd like the top box so can transport some stuff (and leave stuff w/ bike) when going away w/ the gf...can't have it all I guess!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the E450 SIMPLY Givi box; I can fit my boots, pants, gloves and jacket in it.

I wouldn't say it was a PIA to do, just more time consuming than I thought. I kept having to go back to Home Depot to pick up the right length of bolts. Also shaving the foam from the seat was messy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey it looks better and is cheaper than one of those mounts that have it sticking out the back. All you need is a 2nd seat to put there when you dont want that in the back.

·
Registered
426 Posts
that looks very interesting and something like i was asking about here not too long ago. Namely a box that snaps into the same connections as the rear seat. But i like this idea much better.

i am wondering if you could just remove the seat and attach the givi plate to the passenger grab rail bolt connections? (like you would if you were also using the givi rack) You could cut some rigid foam insulation to fit into the seat cavity and then another piece on top to water proof. then the givi mounting plate on top of that.

this way you do not have to destroy the seat just in case you want to use it some day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sharing my installation of a Hepco Becker top case (GOBI 40L). See attached pictures.

BTW, I like how the top case looks on the bike, however it is not big enough to accept my helmet.

Since I do not take passengers, I wanted to put the top case over the pillion seat. I too was inspired by the previous poster who bolted a GIVI top case to the pillion seat. I thought that was pretty cool, better than hanging the luggage over the back end of the bike. I ended up bolting the H/B top case (mounting plate) into a wood assembly that replaces the pillion seat. The wood assembly is attached by replacing one of the rear cowl bolts and one of the rear grab rail bolts on each side (4 bolts under the pillion seat) with longer bolts that anchor the wood assembly to the bike. Getting these bolts to line up correctly so they would thread into the welded nuts on the bike was the tricky part of the project.

The wood assembly is raised and wedge shaped. Raised - so the luggage will clear the tail light. Wedge shaped - so the top case will not leaned forward into my personal space. (I like to be upright and stretch my back sometimes at traffic lights.)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts