Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some black and white for ya. I see many cars doing this. They will actually prefer to pass on the right, accelerating into any gap on the right and yet only reluctantly driving along in line with the other cars in the fast lane. Many videos I see posted by hot shot sport bikers show swerving through traffic from left to right and back again, sometimes three lanes at a time, as if the whole road is their private playground. Passing on the right in highway speed, multi lane traffic endangers every vehicle in the area, is illegal, and shouldn't be done. If you want to go faster than another vehicle that is in your way, move to the left, wait for anything else in that lane to move to the right and then move up in line as each vehicle moves out of your way to the right when they get the chance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's some black and white for ya. I see many cars doing this. They will actually prefer to pass on the right, accelerating into any gap on the right and yet only reluctantly driving along in line with the other cars in the fast lane. Many videos I see posted by hot shot sport bikers show swerving through traffic from left to right and back again, sometimes three lanes at a time, as if the whole road is their private playground. Passing on the right in highway speed, multi lane traffic endangers every vehicle in the area, is illegal, and shouldn't be done. If you want to go faster than another vehicle that is in your way, move to the left, wait for anything else in that lane to move to the right and then move up in line as each vehicle moves out of your way to the right when they get the chance.
That would assume the cagers are actually driving sensibly. Around here common sense and consideration is more rare than honest politicians and attorneys. Most here are too stupid to do anything but race up to your blind spot and then stay there until you need to move into their lane, then accelerate to see if they can hit you.

They reserve their next level of stupidity for Interstate Colverleafs, where they decide to get the cell phone out of their arse, and change 4 lanes at a 45 degree angle to get to the exit they almost missed.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
seriously sendler ? if you don't like my videos, don't watch them :D
come on buddy i tuck too :)

didn't we have the "reckless thread" already ?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Bear in mind that being manufactured in Thailand and India (both countries that drive on the left), the CBR250R is a right hand drive vehicle.
Too funny Mikey!!!! Been to Thailand. Driving, riding and being a pedestrian is a blood sport lol:eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
... If you want to go faster than another vehicle that is in your way, move to the left, wait for anything else in that lane to move to the right and then move up in line as each vehicle moves out of your way to the right when they get the chance.
Sendler, that works fine in a perfect world and maybe on the Autobahn.

I'll start driving/riding that way when the average driver learns lane discipline. Till then I'm thumbing my nose at the law.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seriously sendler ? if you don't like my videos, don't watch them :D
come on buddy i tuck too :)
It's not just you. When a poster in the other thread implied that riding in a tuck and wreckless driving were the same, I felt like venting one of my pet peeves from 20 years of commuting. I have come to know you better lately from your contribution here and know that you are a smart person and a really good rider and your intention is not to show off but to promote the surprising capabilities of a great, fuel efficient motorcycle. Different people perceive the same things differently. People that pass on the right think there is plenty of room. No harm done. But the other vehicle operators nearby find it alarming. If it is a sport bike doing it, any sport bike, they all automatically hate me if they ever see me. Guilty by association. Cops follow me around for no reason. Etc. I hope someday soon you get the chance to take your CBR250R on a road trip to some deserted, twisty canyon roads to play with your camera on or get on the track if it wasn't so expensive where you can really shred.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If a bike rider around here starts acting as stupid as some of the cage drivers, they will have a short life with a violent end. Like the woman who told the police after they followed the trail of my friends brother's body parts and 74 900 Kawasaki parts to her driveway.

"I never knew I hit him."

The only mistake you need to make is to be where you are not expected to be, by someone as clueless as the lady mentioned above.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sendler, that works fine in a perfect world and maybe on the Autobahn.

I'll start driving/riding that way when the average driver learns lane discipline. Till then I'm thumbing my nose at the law.
Improving the way it is starts with each one of us. Be a good example, especially when you are on your bike.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
People that pass on the right think there is plenty of room. No harm done. But the other vehicle operators nearby find it alarming. If it is a sport bike doing it, any sport bike, they all automatically hate me if they ever see me. Guilty by association. Cops follow me around for no reason. Etc. I hope someday soon you get the chance to take your CBR250R on a road trip to some deserted, twisty canyon roads to play with your camera on or get on the track if it wasn't so expensive where you can really shred.
i was just kidding but this is a very good topic.

you said it "No harm done. But the other vehicle operators nearby find it alarming"
i find it very alarming when i look over and see someone texting while drinking coffee & smoking.
whats the other scenario to this . i dont make a move and pass because some one finds it alarming , then i get rear ended and crushed by a 2-ton vehicle ??? im good i take scenario #1
as far as the cops ? well SOME do HATE motorcycles .
probably because some expert on a 1000 took one of their relatives on the back & got them hurt or worst.
traffic laws aren't motorcycle friendly but that's another subject.
if i could i would drive in first gear all day (with one wheel up).but i ride on the freeway & you have to adapt to your surroundings or is death :(

it would be cool to set up a cbr250 ride with only 250cc bikes around the u.s.
i heard of something like this for other bikes.
till then i'll just keep alarming people with my riding ....alive , just remeber me next time someone flicks a lit cigarette ash or cuts you off because they are on their cell phones.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i think ny does a better job than other areas i've lived in when it comes to regulating driving right. people in the south don't even know what passing lane means.

badger, crazy story, sorry to hear about that. no excuses, she should be in jail

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's impossible not to pass on the right in today's world. People don't follow those rules anymore unless its a 6 lane + highway. These days on a 4 lane, the passing lane is whichever one is empty.

I prefer it when the person in front of me yields and moves over to the right lane but I can't make them do that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
not illegal to pass in curbside lane here (on the left here obviously) only on bends, that said if I have to pass on curbside I don't hang around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They pass left, pass right, pass on an on-ramp, off-ramp, parking lot, the median - it's a wonder they don't use the sidewalk (when one exists). There are a few good drivers here but they can all be found behind the wheel of a taxi. All the rest - you have to assume a basic lack of skill. There is no driver's ed in the high schools and the practical license test is ridiculous. The manual for the written exam here has clear instructions for handling rotundas but that's it. There is no mention of "passing lane on the left" probably because we have so few multi-lane stretches of road, so the freeway is truly anything goes. There is no shoulder (really!) and drivers just stop when they feel like it. Bikers soon learn to be cautious moving to the right around a driver signaling/slowing for a left turn. Unless it's a taxi, the driver will almost certainly sweep far right first to make the turn radius as non-challenging as possible.

Seriously, the vast majority cannot even park nose first. Go to a restaurant or mall and you'll find paid attendants helping people park their cars by standing in front or behind and using hand instructions. Watching a Landcruiser driver try four times to back into an available space would be hilarious if it was not so pathetically frequent.

Add making-up in the mirror and gabbing/texting on the phone to that mix and it compounds the problems of this already nasty road environment. Thank goodness the traffic cops all ride bikes and are very understanding of our creative riding techniques used to stay in one piece.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here we go again, ranting on about "passing on the right" without having any idea of exactly what we're arguing about. What type of roads? What degree of traffic? What speed of traffic? What speed differential?

Or where! Geographic locations differ widely. Anyone want be to be the idiot who goes on a "no passing on the right" crusade in a third world country? You'd be laughed out of town.

Sendler, how about taking the time to make it clear exactly what your definition of "passing on the right" is?

Maybe then we can start an intelligent discussion.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Here we go again, ranting on about "passing on the right" without having any idea of exactly what we're arguing about. What type of roads? What degree of traffic? What speed of traffic? What speed differential?

Or where! Geographic locations differ widely. Anyone want be to be the idiot who goes on a "no passing on the right" crusade in a third world country? You'd be laughed out of town.

Sendler, how about taking the time to make it clear exactly what your definition of "passing on the right" is?

I think you have a point re geographic locations. I've done some travelling; some examples are China, Japan and Thailand where driving is a completely different experience than here in North America. There are traffic laws to which little attention is paid to. Drivers pass on double solid lines on hairpin turns, no visibility. The cars have curtains in them....yes....curtains and the drivers have been known to close them when the sun is in their eyes!! Passing occurs on wrong side of road in head on traffic!!! :eek::eek: Some riders on this forum live in some of these countries so their approach to right hand passing will differ from som posters but they certainly cannot be labeled reckless. Honestly If I didn't experience driving on foreign roads I wouldn't have believed it. Yikes!! Like a rant in my head I kept repeating "If we crash, tuck and roll, tuck and roll"!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Here we go again you are not reading the first post very carefully.
"Passing on the right in highway speed, multi lane traffic endangers every vehicle in the area"
The other thread you are referring to had a photo in the first post to exactly show what a tuck is. A picture is worth a thousand words. And then I went on to descsribe in detail three variations of the low riding position I use. Whatever.
To any readers that do not have high speed, multi lane highways in their country, please feel free to ignore this thread.

·
Registered
269 Posts
^i think some of the issues with your statements, sendler, is that your opinion seems strong about something, without leaving room for ambiguity or discussion. saying "Passing on the right in highway speed, multi lane traffic endangers every vehicle in the area" is a little broad, yet very definitive. there are some states where police won't chase a motorcycle because they mostly just pose a danger to themselves, and not other cars

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm not sure if the phase "passing on the right" only refers to certain dangerous situations, or passing on the right at all, regardless of conditions, but...

My 70-mile (one way) daily commute consists mostly of two-lane interstates. There are road signs that say "keep right except to pass." The only time you ever see that being observed is in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night when there is practically no traffic. The rest of the time, there are far more cars in the left lane, and the majority of them are going 10mph below the speed limit. Even when there's a completely empty right lane for miles. You can tailgate them for however long you like, flash your lights, honk your horn, they won't move over.

I honestly don't know why they do this. But passing them on the right is the only way to get where you're going safely, let alone on time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts