Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I own a shop and also do suspension but mainly on the motocross end of things. I have a buddy who is a sport bike champ and owns a suspension shop. He sent me an email about a shock for out bike and I will paste it exactly how I got it. If we get a few guys together and I can get a real group buy price. Yes it is expensive but penske makes some of the best shocks and the bike will do what we want.

Mike- BBR Motosports,

I talked to my guy at Penske today. They are adding new applications each week for their new 7500 series shocks, Which are the ones we talked about on the phone. As of today - They didn't have a spec that fit the CBR 250. BUT - They are going to try building up another fitment next week - As they just got some new headvalves in that might allow them to get the proper shock length. So as of today - The 7500 doesn't apply to the CBR250.... But they are going to let me know next week if it is something that they can do.

As far as what they do have available that will fit your bike:

8900 Emulsion shock(no floating piston) $625

8983 Double Adjustable Remote Reserviour $875

All Penske shocks are built by hand - Specifically for each user - From parts on the shelf. Sprung / Valved and Dyno'd as per each users specific application.

Both of those prices are retail. I can do a better deal for you. Also if you can get a group buy together - The bigger the group the bigger the discount for each person. The more people - The more discount I can get you.

Now if Penske finds that they can build a spec with their new parts for the CBR250 next week - The 7500 Series shock will run $695... Take a look at the attached files I have sent to get more information on the shocks.

-- Thank You,
Scotty Ryan

Cell (262)203-1645

Shop (262)725-6007

Trackside Suspension & Engineering
528 Stiles Ct
Darien,Wi 53114

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd love to be able to afford that for a AUD$5500 bike but unfortunately not. I've just had a 2day argument over $90 braided brake lines, for safety :) I think I'll save my arguments up for a Datona675

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's alot of money but face it the stock suspension sucks!!. Setting up you'r suspension makes such a HUGE difference. But on the other hand on a bike that costs about 4 grand it's hard to bring yourself to do it. Either way if nobody else does it i'm still doing my forks and getting a "real" shock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
subscribed ....
when I get a cbr250 I'll need a shock & fork work

·
Registered
455 Posts
So we need 8 more? Lol.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is this still live? I'm looking for a rear shock. It seems the Ohlins have limited adjustment (preload and rebound), the RaceTech is horribly expensive, the YSS looks like a good deal at $478 looks like the best deal but I can't seem to find specs on it. I would be interested in Penske if comparable to YSS or RaceTech (and reasonably priced). Help?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
It may be worth it if you're going to race the bike, but one of the things that I really like about this bike is it's really good stock suspension, for real, everyday roads. I've always found that lots of other bikes have far too stiff suspension for everyday riding, which makes a bike uncomfortable and tiresome to ride. I love the CBR's suspension setup as it is, it's one of the main things that makes it such a good bike to ride on the street. ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wynne - do you weigh 125 lbs? I'm jealous. I love the bike, but for my riding the suspension needs upgrading. I combine track and road, and under hard braking and hard acceleration the front dove down to almost bottoming out. (I weigh 180 without my track gear.)

And now that I've fixed the front (with RaceTech emulators and springs for my weight), the rear is showing its weakness - too much static sag and weak srping so it lifts up when I shift, but I've already go the preload so high it jars my back on "square" bumps. (Compared to the front, which now stays planted and feels cushy on fast bumps.)

BBR Motorsports - I'm thinking that I'll go with the YSS for $478. Its triple adjustable (thread spring preload, rebound adjustment, compression adjustable, external reservoir). The only think I see missing (maybe) is a separate fast/slow rebound adjustment - but that would make my rear shock substantially more adjustable than my forks.

If you have something as good or better for a similar price, let me know. And thanks for the offer to help...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Wynne - do you weigh 125 lbs? I'm jealous. I love the bike, but for my riding the suspension needs upgrading. I combine track and road, and under hard braking and hard acceleration the front dove down to almost bottoming out. (I weigh 180 without my track gear.)

And now that I've fixed the front (with RaceTech emulators and springs for my weight), the rear is showing its weakness - too much static sag and weak srping so it lifts up when I shift, but I've already go the preload so high it jars my back on "square" bumps. (Compared to the front, which now stays planted and feels cushy on fast bumps.)

BBR Motorsports - I'm thinking that I'll go with the YSS for $478. Its triple adjustable (thread spring preload, rebound adjustment, compression adjustable, external reservoir). The only think I see missing (maybe) is a separate fast/slow rebound adjustment - but that would make my rear shock substantially more adjustable than my forks.

If you have something as good or better for a similar price, let me know. And thanks for the offer to help...
I weigh around 180 lbs. I don't ride like a racer on the road, so I find that the suspension is fine for my riding style. Much better than a Ninja 250R. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned JRi yet. I got the JRi because it was fully adjustable and the ohlins wasn't on the market yet. It was on the expensive side though, I believe $675 if I remember correctly? I spent $1200 setting up my suspension which accounts for parts, shipping, and the labor on rebuilding the forks with emulators.

In my opinion it's worth every penny. I've put <$5000 into my bike including the cost of the bike itself and it handles great on the track and the road feel is a lot better as well.

I weigh 170lbs without gear and I was having the stock suspension bottom out so hard at the track I was scraping the exhaust and kickstand. With this setup I can get to that same lean and come nowhere near close to scraping any of that and the feel is much more reassuring.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts