Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Summer here usually is not super hot or humid. Average temps are around 25C but it can get up into the mid 30's

been riding the last few years in textile (Belstaff) jacket. Which is ok for <20c but too hot above that. For the hot days i was using a Joe Rocket textile mesh jacket and kevlar jeans. While the mesh was nice in the hot and felt almost the same as riding in T-Shirt, i had qualms about its protective qualities and imagined it would come apart in a slide or worse even melt into my skin.

so over Xmas i got some new summer gear. Leather perforated jacket. New helmet, new gloves. all in light colors (white) and while the jacket looks like it has lots of perforations i am asking those of you that wore this type of jacket how you found it to be in warm weather. I am concerned with it being too hot to wear in the city and may only be able to use it on the highway. But i do tend to live by the motto that its Better to sweat than bleed. :)

this is the jacket i got....Alpinestars GP-R perforated leather

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I rode last summer through some hot and humid days in my perforated Cortech leathers. It has little air scoops on the shoulders that really helped flow air over my back. I think even without the air scoops I would have been fine. The secret is to keep moving; once I got to a red light or heavy traffic I got hot quickly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Perforated AC System for hot riding weather.

Just wanted to let y'all know who ride in predominately hot climates about a cooling vest I found that you wear under your perforated riding jacket. You just soak it in ice cold water for about 10 mins prior to ride, then ring it out put it on and ride. Keeps you much cooler for about 2 to 4 hours. When I stop for a break I just pour a cold bottled water on it and I'm good to go. It's made by Bilt and it's called a cooling vest. Works on the cooling fan principle.I was a bit skeptical at first but it really works so give it a try. Just so you know it dosnt drench the shirt you are wearing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
a-stars gp-r jacekt

Summer here usually is not super hot or humid. Average temps are around 25C but it can get up into the mid 30's

been riding the last few years in textile (Belstaff) jacket. Which is ok for <20c but too hot above that. For the hot days i was using a Joe Rocket textile mesh jacket and kevlar jeans. While the mesh was nice in the hot and felt almost the same as riding in T-Shirt, i had qualms about its protective qualities and imagined it would come apart in a slide or worse even melt into my skin.

so over Xmas i got some new summer gear. Leather perforated jacket. New helmet, new gloves. all in light colors (white) and while the jacket looks like it has lots of perforations i am asking those of you that wore this type of jacket how you found it to be in warm weather. I am concerned with it being too hot to wear in the city and may only be able to use it on the highway. But i do tend to live by the motto that its Better to sweat than bleed. :)

this is the jacket i got....Alpinestars GP-R perforated leather

Hey Skyway - i just bought the same jacket, so hope to hear it works for you. We just had another dump of snow here in Southern Ontario so I won't be able to comment on how well it works for at least a few more weeks :(. I am thinking of buying the a-stars leather track leather pants in the spring, which appear to be perforated as well. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum can comment on those pants.

cheers

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
My M2R livewire leather jacket has zips in the front at the shoulders and exhaust zips at the back, open them up and full flow ventilation.
It also has air intakes on the shoulders.
leather is cool with just a t shirt underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the perforated GP-R and it works nicely whilst not stopped at lights. Would definitely recommend it. Our temps are alot higher here and I've coped fine with it. I've used it on 40c+ days to give you an idea.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies. appreciated.
I know that when its hot out and you are stuck in traffic you will be roasting
no matter what you wear. The farther from the city you go the hotter it gets here.
Vancouver, being on the coast is cooler than up valley. Amazing how fast it can change.

Couple of yrs ago we did a trip to "Hells Gate" Hell's Gate Airtram in the Fraser Canyon
Which is 60km north of Hope, which is 140km east of Vancouver. Approx half way to Hells Gate the temps and humidity jumped from comfortable riding to holy hades its farging hot.

I feel your pain, Riverguide. The weather gods are being cruel here too. We in a bit of a cold snap now and its way too cold for here at this time of year. (should be 3c lows and 8-10c highs) Only 1c now at 11am. High temps only around 5c. But it is sunny. so its either too cold to ride or its always raining but warm. (if you can call 8c warm :) ) The farmers almanac predictions are not good news for the next few weeks atleast. (cold/rain/snow)

atleast my bike is parked in a safe - while not heated - it doesnt get below freezing even tho it is freezing outside - garage. Plugged into a battery tender. If i cant ride for a few wks i atleast roll the bike around the garage for 5 min (making vrooom vroom sounds :) ) to try to prevent flat spots in the tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts