Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer, Haydon Honda in Kendalville, Indiana, called today and said, "I'm looking at a pretty, red, Honda CB250R right now. Do you want to come get it?" About 90 minutes later we were there and bought the bike. Two bikes came in and both were sold, one to me and one to someone else. The black non-ABS bike they had is also sold. That's 10 CBR250R bikes they have sold this spring. Honda is going to sell a million of these, around the world, if they can make them fast enough. Anyway, I rode it home. There's nothing like riding on a new bike. It was 77 miles to home and I only used a little over one gallon of gas.

What to say--Well, I just sold my 2008 Harley Street Glide, which I rode for over 25,000 miles. The Honda is quite a different bike! First of all, I fell in love with the size of the thing! It's so small. I didn't know it (I just sit on the black one they had for a second) but what a shock when the forks turned and the fairing didn't! I thought something was wrong for a second then I thought, "this is just like a Harley Road Glide". It only took about five minutes to get use to it. The other strange thing was finding the foot pegs (I'm use to floorboards.) They are back farther than I realized and small. I had a 2006 Suzuki SV650 and it was something like the Honda--except faster and heavier! :)

I started off with a half helmet but the wind noise was too much so I stopped (my wife was following me in our car (a red 2011 Honda Accord Coupe--I know, it matches the bike exactly!) and changed into my full face helmet and that was much better.

I can honestly say, I had more fun in the first 15 minutes on the Honda than I've had in the last year on the Harley. This bike is really connected--to you and the rode. It handles so well, just think it and it goes there. It really stops nicely, also. So little weight, so little momentum (the Harley weighted nearly 900 pounds, loaded). You can hardly tell the brakes are linked--just a little squat in the front when you use only the rear brake. I tried it just to see--I always use both brakes together.

I was surprised how much torque it has in fifth and sixth gear. You can pass cars in sixth gears with out trouble. Just roll on the throttle. A little vibration at 6000rpm, not much. The throttle is easy to hold at speed. You can just use the ends of your fingers to hold at one speed. Very nice.

Since I've been home I've removed the gas tank decals, mounted my sheepskin seat pad (boy, that seat is hard), mounted my Nelson-Riggs tail bag, mounted my Garmin 220 GPS and wired it to the headlight socket with an adapter. Tomorrow I'll mount the garage door opener and button.

That will be all the mods for awhile--(sure it will! :)

Love the bike!:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gdo

Don't know if you're using my posted link for the garage door mod, but check it out. It's heading is "Open Sesame".

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's awesome man! Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if you're using my posted link for the garage door mod, but check it out. It's heading is "Open Sesame".
Yes, I used your mod exactly, Rossman (I meant to post a "thank you"). I had the same thing on my Harley but I had the button where there was an unused switch blank. In fact, I had the same garage door opener as you, a Sears unit. I would have never thought to put the button where you did but it works great there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats:) Getting my Red ABS deliverd Saturday 7/2. Boy it was a long wait when I made my deposit back in Feb. Had envy reading all you guys go on about how fun it is to ride the bike. Will finally experience the fun for my self:)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Since I've been home I've removed the gas tank decals, mounted my sheepskin seat pad (boy, that seat is hard), mounted my Nelson-Riggs tail bag, mounted my Garmin 220 GPS and wired it to the headlight socket with an adapter. Tomorrow I'll mount the garage door opener and button.

That will be all the mods for awhile--(sure it will! :)

Love the bike!:)
Interesting to see this mod; something I have used when touring and can recommend.

Nice write up generally. I like your attitude too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats:) Getting my Red ABS deliverd Saturday 7/2. Boy it was a long wait when I made my deposit back in Feb. Had envy reading all you guys go on about how fun it is to ride the bike. Will finally experience the fun for my self:)
Same for me! I got mine last thursday (06/30). Red with ABS. I was about to cancel my order when my dealer called me... "Your bike is in the showroom... When do you want it?" ... "Tomorrow!!!" I said! (It was too late to have it the same day...)

I tried it in an area called "les équerres" (the squares, brackets) where the road turns 90° every 300 meters (left, right, left, right...cool!) This bike goes exactly where you want it to go. Excellent acceleration (not a bomb... it's a 250 cc!), a lot of low-end torque, excellent braking... At last, a small motorcycle that makes me say "smaller is better"! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting to see this mod; something I have used when touring and can recommend.

Nice write up generally. I like your attitude too.
Thanks. Well. I like your attitude also! :)

As a follow up, now that I have my GPS mounted, I was surprised to find that my speedometer is very accurate. At least up to 65 mph--fast as I've gone so far during break-in. This is the first 2 wheel vehicle I've had (ten in all) that was accurate. My Harley Streetglide was off 3 mph at 70 mph. My Suzuki SV650 was off 7% at all speeds. This one is spot on.

Here's a picture of my bike with the GPS mounted:

From the right side:

And what it looks like when I'm riding:

I used the Ram steering mount that jsherm01 recommended (see link: Mounting GPS - Garmin Zumo 660 or 550 - Honda CBR250 Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums)

I had the GPS mounted on the left handlebar but I thought it stood up too far. I like it here in the center, and close, where i can read the small print. I had a sun shade on it but it looked so dorky I removed it. I'll be looking for a better one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts