Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my black non-abs on saturday. 100 miles so far.

First impresssions are light, nimble, and quick to turn in. front brake is a two-finger, excellent modulation, rear brake is good as well. Handling is stable, can tighten or loosen line with no complaints. Slightly squirrly over a section of rain grooved pavement, probably front tire diameter and/or width - nothing scary, just noticable.

Significant power starts around 4k, haven't gone much past 7k yet. Cruised a short distance at 70mph, comfortable with a slight buzz, but the bike doesn't get blown around as much as you think it might. Dealer mechanic rode it before i did, said it has more bottom end than the Kawa EX250 - they sell them as well. I have to take his word on that, haven't ridden the other bike. Clutch is nice - smooth easy engagement, very Honda-like.

Instrumentation is excellent. Analog tach, fuel and temp bar gauges, digital speedo. digital Trip odometer. Idiot light for oil. LCD reads well in direct sunlight and shade, doesn't vibrate (at least below 7k). Stand switch - bike won't start with the stand down, cuts off if you shift out of neutral with it down.

I'm 5-8, 175lbs, 30" inseam. Bike fits well, is comfortable but haven't ridden more than 30 miles in a single session yet so need more data. With riding boots, I come within 1/2" of flat-footing both sides at a stop. Not much space under the fairing for a GPS, I'll probably throw mine on top of the tank bag when I need it rather that do my Rube Goldberg impression. There is room for a PowerLet left or right of the instruments.

Sound is decent, hate the silver heat guard. Going to color the guard short term, get a pipe long term.

Scant storage under the seat, tools suck (1 allen wrench). Seat locks, has hanger cable for your helmet,

Cortech Mini tank bag fits perfectly, much bigger than that is going to be iffy.

Dealer wants it back at 600 for initial checkup, then on 4k intervals after that. He'll get the 600 just to solidify the warranty (I did not get extended). I may take in in at 4k, but I've always done my own maintenance and plan to do so on this one.

Besides the tank bag, bought a stand pad for asphalt - stored under seat. (not counting safety gear).

Overall impression, I'm pumped. It's a sweet little bike. Looking forward to enjoying it for a long time.

Ride Safe!

Luke

·
281 Posts
Hey Luke, excellent first impression ride report. I really like to see new owners comments..whether good news or bad. Hasn't been much bad..and none of it of consequence. You might like to read my 6.5 mile demo ride report..it is over on the performance threads. Would like to see you comment on my report.... Look forward to more incites from you, wheels down!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Luke for sharing those first impression with us. Would love to see some pics of your CBR. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got mine Saturday too!!!

I also picked my red non-abs bike up on Saturday. I put about 250 miles on it over the weekend. I'm 57 years old, 200lbs and 5'9" w/ a 30" inseam. This is my first new bike, but i've been riding for over 10 years.

I would have to ditto everything Luke said above.

I think its important to note that i'm not riding the bike like i normally would. During the break-in period, i have made a point of not going over 8K on the tach and have not kept the engine running at the same rpm for more than a few minutes at a time. The owners manual says the breakin period should be the first 300 miles, so i'm getting close to being able to open her up... :D

First and second gear are very low; that takes some getting used too. I'm probably going to tighten up the throttle, as it has a little too much play for my liking. I'm really impressed with the way the bike handles; the shifting is butter smooth, and it is *very* responsive. I heard one reviewer describe the handling as 'composed'... i think that is the perfect word for it. Very nice.

One other thing that jumps out to me... the fit and finish on it is truly outstanding. When you see the bike in person you will know what i mean. I think it is one heck of a bargain ( i rode mine off for $4404.40), and i sure hope i'll be enjoying this bike for a long long time.

Ride safe!

--Steve

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Luke for sharing those first impression with us. Would love to see some pics of your CBR. :)
Here it is, but they all look the same. I did really like another post where someone shopped the footpeg mounts anodized red. maybe this winter.....

Oh, i did add a tank protector - can vouch that the black SpeedMetal protector sold by CycleGear works and blends well.

Ditto on the loose throttle, Steve - tightening mine up tonight. BTW, I love Athens - been there a couple of times when NC State competed against them in Gymnastics. neat town!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here it is, but they all look the same. I did really like another post where someone shopped the footpeg mounts anodized red. maybe this winter.....

Oh, i did add a tank protector - can vouch that the black SpeedMetal protector sold by CycleGear works and blends well.

Ditto on the loose throttle, Steve - tightening mine up tonight. BTW, I love Athens - been there a couple of times when NC State competed against them in Gymnastics. neat town!

What was pricing like on the CBR Tank protector? Did you buy it online or was it available at a local bike shop?

Nice Honda CBR!! Black bikes always look good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed! Great college town! If you ever get down this way again give us a holler and we'll go riding!

--Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi Luke,

Congrats for new CBR 250. The full black color is killer as opposed to the black / silver available in my country. :) ...

Happy Riding

-Ankur

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What was pricing like on the CBR Tank protector? Did you buy it online or was it available at a local bike shop?
It's a generic StreetMetal protector. Easy to install - cover the top with strips of masking tape, then locate it where you want it and tape the top corners only.

Flip it up on the tank, strip of the backing, and apply it from the center out.

BTW, did notice that in the "Aftermarket" post, someone pointed to a Honda site where you can order a Honda Carbon-fiber protector. It's cute, but it cost over twice as much as the StreetMetal and didn't cover as well. Here's the link:

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/cbr250r/accessories.aspx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts