Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

What should happen? (you can choose more than one)

• Neither operator should be charged

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The truck should be charged with crossing center line

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • The bike should be charged with crossing center line

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • The guy in the truck should be charged with criminal assault

Votes: 12 80.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on another forum and I found the responses interesting. What do you guys think?

The video is long, and there's a confrontation at the end. At least watch the first couple of minutes, but here's the Cliff notes:

• Two motorcycles, back roads, nice day, one bike running video
  • They come up on a slower-moving pickup truck. Cycle #1 passes over a double yellow and the truck allegedly tries to run him off the road.
  • Several minutes of high-speed driving as the truck apparently tries to catch the motorcycle that passed him (bike #2 (w/ video) stayed behind the truck). Truck spends a lot of time in the left lane
  • Video ends at a stop sign with a confrontation and everybody calling the police.
The question is: Should either, both, or none of the involved parties be charged? Since we have an international membership, I will note that the law in Kentucky (where it happened) states it is illegal to pass over a double-yellow line. What would happen in your country?

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start off the voting by saying that the truck operator should be charged with criminal assault. From the video, it appears he came very close to hitting the cycle or forcing it off of the road, either of which would likely have resulted in injury or death.

However, the cyclist is not guilt-free - and while he could argue that he had plenty of room to safely complete a pass, the law forbids him to pass where he did. Thus, i have started off the poll by screwing it up - I meant to check that the bike should be charged as well!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree. The motorcycle should not have passed on a double yellow, but it just does not compare to what the truck driver did. Aggression like that has no place on the road. It's dangerous enough out there with all the other distracted drivers and idiots; the last thing we need is for people trying to hit us.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The truck should be charged with crossing the center line, reckless driving, criminal endangerment and whatever other laws apply in the state in a case of road rage.

The bike should be charged with speeding, crossing the center line and reckless driving.

If you ask me, they're both idiots.

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I see is a bunch of aggro rednecks trying to score points over each other.
And I thought that Americans were supposed to be the only ones that did stereotypical characterizations...... I guess y'all never get road rage or poor judgement in Asia.

The "point" was that I am interested in the opinions of CBR250.net members on this topic. On another forum, more geared toward high-performance sport bikes, there were a lot of comments that the biker should be given a pass. I was wondering if the kind of folks that buy CBR 250s subscribe to the same theory, or are they more inclined to penalize aggressive riding.

In addition, in my travels to Latin America I've seen motorcycles take what nearly any American would consider excessive liberties - splitting lanes, ignoring signals, etc. There seems to be a much greater tolerance for behavior that I would never attempt out of fear for my life.

Luke

·
Registered
131 Posts
from the looks of it the guy on the bike infront the truck was trying to get away and the truck driver was just an idiot behind the wheel. people like the pick-up truck driver shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Being on a motorcycle and having some crazy person behind you like that guy in the pick-up is a major threat to you. Lets just be happy we didn't see anyone get seriously hurt.

How much of you had a run in with someone like that pick-up truck driver?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The bikes were obviously speeding and one passed over the double yellows (both ticket-able offenses)..what the truck driver did is considered felony reckless endangerment (by trying to run the motorcycle off the road)..
brandishing the tire iron or pole he had when he first got out of the vehicle is considered aggravated assault (you have to be in fear of imminent bodily injury or death) The law is pretty much the same in KY as it is here in north east tenn...
this fool is lucky it wasn't me he did this to because the second he got out with that pole and acted like he was going to swing at me I would have drew on him with my .40 and been a half second away from putting a hollow point somewhere in his torso....
I am a law abiding ,licensed, concealed carry motorcycle rider..and the law states being in fear of serious bodily injury or death (or protecting someone else from the same) is legal cause to use your weapon in self defense..hope I never have to draw down on someone much less use my weapon and in 6 years of carrying concealed I have never even needed to show my weapon to anyone though I did put my hand on it one time and was ready to draw when some shirtless dirtbag came up on my front porch at 3am trying to bum money,or so he said anyway...maybe seeing my hand on what could have been a weapon is what changed his mind from trying anything else.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, you're not supposed to cross over a double line, but did I miss it because it was so blurry but when the **** was there NOT a double line?

If they took that video to court, then yes, the biker should technicaly get a ticket. The guy in the truck should get far worse though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay?

This is my first post on this, and i have to answer since no one has a clear cut answer.

If charges are filed, and they most definitely should be, seriously someone needs to go to prison.

The rider needs to be fined for passing illegally.

The Driver of the red pickup needs to be charged with felony endangerment, He needs to spend time in prison for what he attempted to do, he could have killed that rider.

So there you go, both people are in the wrong, and they should be both fined and charged accordingly. Ever hear the saying that two wrongs don't make a right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you wanna get technical then they both should get ticketed, but of course the truck driver should get far more tickets. But what he did was very uncalled for. It was someones life he was fooling with when he swerved towards that bick and that truck driver was lucky those bikers didnt kick his ***. If I was the first biker I definitely woulda been in jail that day with that truck driver, and we both would be fighting it out in jail also. But it all comes down to someones life being on the line, that truck driver shoulda got a beat down.

·
Registered
636 Posts
that was pretty intense..obviously the truck driver could have killed the guy if you notice the larege tree on the side of the road where he went for the hip check..(hockey slang) but if biker guy doesnt go for the pass on the double yellow, this whole thing is avoided..but theres no excuse for the stupidity of the pickup dumbass..he's lucky he didnt kill someone..in the words of the second biker, "youre goin to jail brother!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts