Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
501 - 520 of 537 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
picked up this '14 CBR500R about a month ago:

How does the 500 compare to the 250?
I've been wondering about buying one myself but have yet to convince myself that the gains are worth the extra expenditure. I assume the riding position and comfort will be similar and on the plus side the bigger bike will be a bit smoother at lower revs and have more overtaking oomph. The downside will be the extra weight. Is that very noticeable?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been wondering about buying one myself but have yet to convince myself that the gains are worth the extra expenditure. I assume the riding position and comfort will be similar and on the plus side the bigger bike will be a bit smoother at lower revs and have more overtaking oomph. The downside will be the extra weight. Is that very noticeable?
I have the some doubt! Tell us the difference between both bikes. I love CBR 250R, but at highway, above 60mph if I have to quick pass a traffic the 250 don´t have enough power to do it quickly. How the CBR 500R is at this situation?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
The CB500's are good up to ~85 mph, then it starts to accelerate more slowly.

During my hard break-in, I accidentally found myself at 95mph in 6th gear going up a slight rise. It is just that 4th and 5th are good up to 80 and 90+ mph with more acceleration than 6th gear.

Reactions: Pullin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Keith, the riding position on the 500 is completely different than the 250. You feel like you're on a sport bike on the 250. The 500 has a very "tall" and upright seating position. It's somewhat contrary to the appearance and design of the bike. It doesn't really feel like a sport bike when you're on it...it almost feels like it's set up for off road action. Don't get me wrong, the bike is very comfortable, it's just the seating position caught me off-guard.

The bike is as comfortable, ride quality wise, as the 250. Probably a bit more so. Tire pressure is much higher on the 500.

The 500 puts out 2X the power. There's a lot more torque down low and there's no real need to rev the bike high unless you choose to. Compared to other bikes out there, 50 bhp may not sound like a lot, but the bike has NO shortage of power. It pulls strong right to the red line. Engine is quiet and smooth - - a real pleasure to ride. Again, there is a significant power difference between the two.

As far as extra weight and size? Not an issue unless you were short. The 500 is essentially as nimble as the 250 in my riding conditions. The 500 never feels heavy.

I've been riding the my 1982 BMW for a long time and have only recently come back to Honda, so my perspective on these machines might be a bit different compared to other folks who are driving different modern bikes all the time. My BMW is "old" compared to these modern Hondas. The two Hondas we have are fantastic machines that I'm really enjoying :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks CBRogers for taking the time to post above.
What I like so much about my 250 is that 95% of the time it does everything I need it to do with no excess, no baggage and I do find it all-day comfortable. For ease of handling it's far closer to the bicycles I enjoy riding than a bigger bike would be and I live in a crowded part of the world where opportunities to top even 60mph are infrequent. The remaining 5% is split between times when I'd like more confident overtaking and times when I'm feeling lazy and would like a motor that doesn't require so much dancing on the gear pedal below 40mph. Some time ago I stated on this forum that I'd choose the R3 over the CBR500 for it's lower weight. But then I rode an R3 and whilst they are light and faster than a CBR250R they have to be worked hard to get at that extra performance, R3s are not a lazy bikes to ride. I guess I'll only really know if I prefer the 500 when I've ridden one myself.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, if the 250 fits you well, it may be a mistake to get rid of it.
My thoughts exactly. Three years ago when I bought my CBR I promised myself I'd test that 'all day' feeling with a proper long trip, which due to family, work and cycling still hasn't happened. Until I've done that I don't really want to change bikes. Doesn't stop me keeping half an eye open at what's out there though.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My 1st year of manufacture 2011. I bought the very first CBR205R that was unloaded from the truck at the dealers. They only got 2 and once the second one sold they didn't get more for months. In 5 years of ownership not even the slightest hint of a problem. Big Red sure makes 'em good.
My poor baby is up on track stands in the shed right now as a foot or more of snow gets dumped on us today, but we're getting closer to riding season every day.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I can fix that.

Near Bryce Canyon on Utah 12.

The shortcut (Pitchstone Pass?) to Utah 150.

Approaching Bald Mountain Pass (10,700 feet) on Utah 150.

Quake Lake, Montana, north of Yellowstone Park.

Hay bales in the Jefferson Valley near Butte, MT. Tobacco Root mountains in the background.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice pics Jsonder. Hopefully I'll have a few of my own to show if my planned circuit of Scotland at the end of May goes ahead.

Back to the comparisons of 250 and 500. Today I demoed a CB500F. I would have preferred to take the R out but the F was the only one currently available at the local dealer. Definitely a nice useful level of power and usable far lower down the rev range than my 250 but far more a big bike feel to the handling rather than the 'tuck it under your arm and carry it indoors' feeling I get with the 250. Also I found the seat to slope forwards too much for comfort and despite all that's been written about how smooth they are there were high frequency vibes coming through the bars, enough to have my left hand starting to go numb. In recent years I have suffered increasingly with numbness and 'white finger' syndrome. There's quite a lot of documented evidence now about how it affects tradesmen who frequently use power tools but in my case I think it may be down to lots of bicycle riding over rough ground without padded gloves and only thinly padded handlebars. That is less well documented but I have seen references on cycling forums to others also suffering similarly. Curiously, on the 500 I could feel my whole hand starting to tingle whereas on the 250 it starts at my finger tips.
Anyway, the conclusion was that if I had to choose a bike to spend all day on it would still be my 250. It might not be as fast but it fits me so much better.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I envy your living out that way. I'll never forget my first trip driving to Red Rocks in Arizona. I kept taking my sunglasses off because I thought there was something wrong with them the closer we got on the highway. I've never seen colors like that in a landscape in my life. So gorgeous.
Same for coming down to Phoenix from the mountains north of the city. I didn't understand what I was seeing until we actually dropped down into the canyons that seemed so huge and mysterious from afar. That's some big country you have out west. Especially to someone who's lived in and around eastern cities all his life.

501 - 520 of 537 Posts