Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

521 - 536 of 536 Posts

·
2,015 Posts
Yup, there are enough older riders here who are likely to make fun of folks who worry about having chicken strips. Just saying......

>:)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Keith, the riding position on the 500 is completely different than the 250. You feel like you're on a sport bike on the 250. The 500 has a very "tall" and upright seating position. It's somewhat contrary to the appearance and design of the bike. It doesn't really feel like a sport bike when you're on it...it almost feels like it's set up for off road action. Don't get me wrong, the bike is very comfortable, it's just the seating position caught me off-guard.

The bike is as comfortable, ride quality wise, as the 250. Probably a bit more so. Tire pressure is much higher on the 500.

The 500 puts out 2X the power. There's a lot more torque down low and there's no real need to rev the bike high unless you choose to. Compared to other bikes out there, 50 bhp may not sound like a lot, but the bike has NO shortage of power. It pulls strong right to the red line. Engine is quiet and smooth - - a real pleasure to ride. Again, there is a significant power difference between the two.

As far as extra weight and size? Not an issue unless you were short. The 500 is essentially as nimble as the 250 in my riding conditions. The 500 never feels heavy.

I've been riding the my 1982 BMW for a long time and have only recently come back to Honda, so my perspective on these machines might be a bit different compared to other folks who are driving different modern bikes all the time. My BMW is "old" compared to these modern Hondas. The two Hondas we have are fantastic machines that I'm really enjoying :)

Well I finally got round to demoing a used 500 yesterday. I certainly agree that the riding position feels quite different to the 250. I felt noticeably higher up and more upright. The screen was more distant and at 75mph I could feel far more wind pressure on my chest than on the 250. I was out for about 45 minutes and rode everything from dual carriageways to narrow lanes with large patches of dried grit on the corners. It was on those narrow lanes that the extra height and weight of the 500 was most noticeable and I felt less in control than I would have on the 250. Maybe it was just the paranoia of the bike not being mine and having signed a waiver that I would pay the first £2000 of any damages?
I'd ridden down with all the documents for my 250, thinking that if the deal was right I'd part-ex it on the spot but after the demo I had to conclude that a 500 won't be my next bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's my 2011 that I bought in July 2017 with 5400 miles on her. I managed to double that in the 3.5 months of riding that I was able to get in before the Illinois winter reared it's ugly, stupid, party-pooping head. I can't imagine why the previous owner neglected her so badly - 6 years to put less than 6000 miles on her?

I took her for a 45 minute ride last Saturday, Nov. 11 in 33 degree weather and I was so happy - but too cold. I decided that it just wasn't safe enough to try and ride when my fingers were as cold as they were, even with "winter" riding gloves on. My hands were the only thing that let me down though, I had enough gear on the rest of me to be comfortable. Too bad we don't get heated grips haha.

Anyway, with a heavy heart, tomorrow she's going to the heated, dry garage for the winter at the home of a relative who lives about 20 miles away. So, tonight I'll be changing the oil, cleaning and adjusting her chain and giving her a nice bath. At my destination tomorrow, I'll fill her up, add some Sta-Bil and yank the battery out because the person whose home she's staying at is paranoid about having a battery tender plugged in in her garage, and no matter how much I tell her that it's 100% safe, she won't budge. Oh well, her house, her rules - I'll happily hook my battery up at my place.

I'm sure gonna miss her!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heated gloves -- I have the battery powered snowmobile gloves and they work great. The other option is waterproof ski gloves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fall Riding

Here's a few photos of Shadrach from the fall riding season before the rain set in.

And after addition of the ZG Sport Touring windscreen and LED markers.

Attachments

521 - 536 of 536 Posts