Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plasti Dip Spray Paint Windscreen last Night

Before pic:

Prep:

Plasti dip sprayed:

Completed:

Cost= $5.98 + tax is much better than paying $90 for an OEM tinted windscreen, IMO.

IMO, looks just as good and is 100% reversible. Also,you avoid pain and stress with a 2-4hr disassembly and reassembly of all the fairings and dash which you have to do to install a oem tinted windscreen.

It's kind a of a PITA with the prep work but definitely worth it.

For those of you that want to do this make sure you clean the glass with alcohol to remove oil and debris off the windscreen. For the first coat do a 50% light coat and then do a couple more coats allowing 10-15 mins between coats.You can use a razor to remove the tape.

The best place to buy Plasti Dip is at your local Home Depot.

The wheels are next on the plate and then the heat shield. I had to order the glossifier off the internet b/c it is hard to get. Two cans was $24 including shipping. The stuff better be good. $50 for paint is hell of a lot better than $300 for powder-coating and the plasti dip will protect the oem finish so when you want to sell just peel the stuff, and you have new rims just as good as the day you plasti coated them

If you coat the wheels well they should hold up pretty well b/c Plasti Dip is weatherproof and pretty durable. Just look on Youtube and will see a ton of folks who plasti dipped their car rims and have had no problems after years. You can also touch areas if you need to. Some peop,e have actually plasti dipped their whole car and motorcycle. This stuff is the future for us cheap folks. :D

The cheapest place to buy glossifier is here (Shipping was $10 for 2 cans via UPS):
Plasti Dip Glosifier, plasti dip glossy,gloss clear coat,glossifier

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
While it looks good cosmetically, the big down side IMO is the loss of forward visibility through the upper section of the windscreen when the rider is in a low tuck. If you never tuck, its a non issue. I use a low tuck riding position on long straight roads at higher speeds, particularly in conditions with strong headwinds or crosswinds. While it may not look as cool, doing 1/2 or 2/3 of the windscreen would be a more practical approach without compromising forward visibility for the rider who tucks. IMO a cosmetic modification should never compromise functional operation of the bike.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^^I did a tuck and my head was just above the windscreen, maybe I wasn't low enough. I'm 6ft 1" though. Also, I don't ride on the highway so a tuck position isn't necessary off the highway at speeds usually at 45mph or below. But your point makes sense for those that actually look through the windscreen. Either way it's not a permanent solution and can easily be peeled off, that's beauty with plasti dip. Besides I don't think you can actually look through the oem tinted windscreen either, it looks too dark as well, so either way you are in the same boat with the dark windscreen. I'm more anxious to do the wheels, the windscreen was practice.

Here is a link with this discussion o the 600rr forum:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=131047

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I'm 6'1" as well... if I lay on the tank I'm looking at/through the top inch or two of the windscreen. As you said, it may not be a big issue for a tall rider. A shorter rider in a full lay down tuck could be looking right through the upper 1/3 of the screen.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks good. Looks like it casts a hell of a shadow over the tach though. Maybe just because it's in a garage and not outside?? Looks good though and I love the look of the smoked screen.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks good. Looks like it casts a hell of a shadow over the tach though. Maybe just because it's in a garage and not outside?? Looks good though and I love the look of the smoked screen.
Thanx. Yeah it was in a low light garage. I took it out today and viewing the tach is fine, the tach lights up. The inside of the windscreen even matches the matte black plastic dash.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I was riding today I did a tuck position and I couldn't get my head in a position to even try to look out the windscreen. So looking out the windscreen is not even feasible for me. Honestly, I don't see how anyone can look through the windscreen, maybe it's b/c I'm 6ft.

Overall, I highly recommend plasti dipping the inside of your windscreen black if you want to save $85 and the 2-4 hrs it takes to be able to remove the windscreen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As I was riding today I did a tuck position and I couldn't get my head in a position to even try to look out the windscreen. So looking out the windscreen is not even feasible for me. Honestly, I don't see how anyone can look through the windscreen, maybe it's b/c I'm 6ft.

Overall, I highly recommend plasti dipping the inside of your windscreen black if you want to save $85 and the 2-4 hrs it takes to be able to remove the windscreen.
Yea being 6'3 I find it hard also I almost have to ride on the passenger seat.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Quick question dudeman. Did you use JUST use plasti dip on the windscreen? Or did you put some sort of Glossifier like you were mentioning?
Just reg black plasti dip. You don't need glossifier. Also, you have to paint on the inside of the windscreen. When the plasti dip dries it will be a matte black finish and will perfectly match the dash. I'm very pleased with the results. Plasti dip is super durable so you will most likely never have to spray it again. This stuff may even strengthen your windscreen that could possibly help you avoid cracks.

Two thumbs up! :D

F*ck paying $80 for a tinted windscreen! The tedious task of taking the windscreen off to put the aftermarket tinted screen on is just as bad also.

Plasti Dip saves time and money and you still get the good looks of a tinted screen but with better durability.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
^^ It's dangerous to even think about looking through the windscreen on this bike while riding unless you are skinny midget. Also, even if you were a midget or great contortionist and could actually look out the windscreen on this bike you wouldn't want to look out a tinted windscreen, like looking out limo tint at night.

I would go as far to say that 99.9% don't look through the windscreen on this bike while riding, ever. Most people probably look just over the top of the windscreen on this bike when in a tuck position.

·
Registered
576 Posts
here is mine with the plasti dip black spray.
it has a lot of miles on it with no issues at all.
i also ride in a crouched position when in the
higher mph range with no visual problems.
i like how at night it kinda reflects the speedo and dash lights in the
inside windshield.

Attachments

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now you are half blind.
When I'm riding the top of the screen is almost parallel to my stomach. The windscreen is just that, a windscreen, meant to deflect wind from the rider, it's not a windshield. :p

If your direct line of vision is through the windscreen then you must be a midget. In that case you better keep a clear windscreen buddy.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here is mine with the plasti dip black spray.
it has a lot of miles on it with no issues at all.
i also ride in a crouched position when in the
higher mph range with no visual problems.
i like how at night it kinda reflects the speedo and dash lights in the
inside windshield.
Why did you paint the outside of your windscreen?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm contemplating doing this because I almost never tuck and even when I do I can't get anywhere near having to look through the windscreen. Worst case, if I don't like it it peels off like a thick saran wrap. That's the beauty of pasti dip!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts