Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to Plasti dip wheels black and add glossifier for added shine

I created a simple youtube video on how to plasti dip spray your motorcycle rims black.

AFter some trial and error I have perfected the process of plasti dip spraying motorcycle
rims and have provided these steps and tips to my CBR and fellow motorcycle brotherhood.

I hope this helps! I wish I had these steps laid out before I started on my rims.

It's a tedious process but well worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I plastidipped the grill and emblems on my jeep over a year ago, any they are still holding strong. You shouldnt remove the masking tape after each coat, just run a straight edge razor around it before you peel. Be real careful of the over spray. When I did my jeep, i found little particles of dip way past where i had masked off. Good thing you can just take a rag and rub it off, just a hassle to make sure you get it all. Also make sure to clean the can nozzle after each coat, or it will get clogged and the spray will come out in globs.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and tips. How many coats do you recommend? Has anyone else done the wheels?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

I'd venture a guess and say that most people either stay stock or get them powder coated. I too want to paint the wheels but it would be less of a hassle to just have them professionally done.

I'd say 2-3 coats? That stuff is rather thick and too much will cause it to ripple.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^^ yeah I heard you paint in light coats. Actually, you still have to take the wheels off to get them powdercoated so why do you figure it would be more of a hassle? All you have to do is take the discs off, tape off the bearings and tires and spray several coats.

Actually, when you get them powder coated you have to go the extra step and remove the tires from the rims and remove the bearings, either that or you have to have a professional remove all of that stuff and that will end up costing a fortune when it's all said and done.

A member on here did all of the removal work himself and it still ended up costing him close to $300 when it was all said and done. Remember, you have to buy all new bearings. I'd rather spend $20 on Plasti dip and just peel the stuff off if I ever I sell the bike. A buyer or dealer is not going to pay extra for mods, that's why I'm only planning cheap DIY mods that can be easily reversed back to stock. Besides it looks just as good imo, people on the street won't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With the plastidip plan on doing 5-7 coats. The first coat you spray on isnt going to cover everything like regular spray paint. On my grill and 3 emblems i used an entire can

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^Yeah, I plan on a can of black and glossifier for each wheel. Maybe even a couple cans more just in case. I hope to put the steps on my youtube. My only concern is taking the rear wheel off and putting it back on correctly.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Multiple threads on this topic? Maybe its just me, but it seems a little redundant doesn't it?
Is there a contest that I don't know about, for the most threads started? I have noticed that it doesn't take very long to become a "Senior Member" on here, by virtue of the number of post one puts up on the boards. I would have thought that to become a senior member the qualifier would be time served, kind of like the way time turns your hair gray and causes it to fall out as you approach senior citizenship. But then what do I know, I'm just an old fart...

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ I couldn't find a thread on plasti dipping the wheels. The search fuction sucks for this forum, Google is better, but I couldn't find another thread regarding plasti dipping the wheels.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Wow 160 posts in 2 weeks. Ok Dude I have an assignment for you. How about chroming the rims on a black CBR?

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I just removed the rear wheel, cleaned it thoroughly with alchol and used clear packaging tape to cover the center of the rim and used a razor to clear the edges. I put painter's tape to tape off the tire. I applied the first coat of black plasti dip. I will let it set tonight and do 4 more coats tomorrow with 30-60 mins between coats. I should be getting my glossifier soon and I will apply 3-4 coats of the glossifier. I will only have two cans of glossifier so I hope that I can get at least 3 coats per can. When it's all dry I will razor the tape off for a clean edge. I will let it cure a day or so before I put the rear wheel back on. When I put the rear wheel back on I will do the front tire. I'm taking my time so it hopefully comes out good.

If I ever sell the bike I can just peel the plasti dip off and I should have the same rims before I coated it with Plasti Dip.

Do you think I should put red rim tape on the edge? That should help protect it.

Here are pics so far, still early in the process. The first coat is fairly light.

Cleaned and prepped:

Light first coat:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks good so far. As far as protection goes, the plastidip is very sturdy. After a year of bugs, rocks and highway driving the grill on my jeep is still just as good as the day i did it. No nicks or any signs of peeling.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^Thanx, Yeah I hear the stuff is pretty durable. Should I put red rim tape over the edge?

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: First coat dried, matte black. When I put the glossifier on it in a day or so after the 5 coats of plasti dip black it should end up a satin or semi-gloss finish.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's a good amount of work but it should be worth is and you can't beat $50 for both wheels and the ability to reverse it any time. It also protects the rim as well.

Can someone direct me to where I can buy the Red rim tape for our bikes?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I noticed that you've sprayed the stuff over the wheel weight. I'm thinking that your wheels will likely need to be rebalanced after all those coats.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I noticed that you've sprayed the stuff over the wheel weight. I'm thinking that your wheels will likely need to be rebalanced after all those coats.
lol, I highly doubt it seeing how it is even spread over both sides of the rim. This stuff is not heavy.

I'm not the first to PD wheels on our bike. From the research I've done regarding this bike and other bikes with PD wheels weight has not been brought up as an issue.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
356 Posts
they say you shouldnt tape off the tire, you are supposed to spray it up onto the tire and the gap between the rim and tire is enough that when you peel it off the tire it comes off in one piece

1 - 20 of 235 Posts