1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across this the other day, and am contemplating getting one:

Motorcycle Helmet Lock - HelmetSecure

From Website said:
The HelmetSecure lock was developed after we realized that there was a genuine need for a more convenient and secure means of leaving your helmet on your bike. Currently many bikers would rather carry their helmet than rely on D-rings locks or cumbersome cable locks. The HelmetSecure lock is a new patent-pending lock for full-face and open-face helmets that allows bikers to more confidently leave their helmet on their cruiser, standard, touring or sportbike.
Although they offer a sportsbike solution (that mounts on the stem nut), I'm thinking about getting the 'classic' model and mounting it on the framebars under the rear seat. That way, it is out of the way, but I can easily pop the seat, run the cable through the visor of my helmet, lock it up and put the seat back down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whats wrong with just using the supplied helmet cable? Seems its more cumbersome to use that than the stock one. If someone really wants to steal your helmet they will, so its a matter of you replacing the $6 cable, or the $50 one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More secure than just going through the d-ring, plus I've always hated the provided cable -- it's not the easiest thing to pass through the d-ring, then twist and get back over the bar on the bike

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think you can bite through that skinny-ass cable that comes with the bike. I'm also looking for an alternative. Perhaps if I had a $50 helmet I'd feel differently... but that Neotec is a wallet buster...

·
Registered
149 Posts
All locks and cables do is keep honest people honest. If someone wants your wallet buster, I don't care how you have it locked, they are going to get it.

I usually just use the supplied helmet lock cable, it's good enough. I also carry a long cable lock under my seat. I can lock up my jacket, backpack, and helmet right to the bike if need be.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I rounded the edges on the under seat hook. Now i just put my d-ring on hook and snap seat down. no need for the cable

·
Registered
350 Posts
All locks and cables do is keep honest people honest. If someone wants your wallet buster, I don't care how you have it locked, they are going to get it.

I usually just use the supplied helmet lock cable, it's good enough. I also carry a long cable lock under my seat. I can lock up my jacket, backpack, and helmet right to the bike if need be.
You may be absolutely right.

However, for those slightly less than honest, you can cut through the supplied cable with nothing more than a Leatherman multi-tool (which I keep under my seat). It may be too small a nit to pick, but I also twist the key the bit extra to lock the forks... Logic would dictate that you're only keeping honest people honest, but why make it appetizingly simple...?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I usually have my helmet with me while off the bike.
But for a brief walk around I find the stock cable good enough.
+1 for keeping honest people honest.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used the stock cable the other day for the first time and it was really hard to pop the rear seat back on. Is that normal or am I missing a little groove for the cable or something? Sorry for the off track post but I didn't think something this minor would warrant it's own thread. LOL

·
Registered
928 Posts
Posted this before but get a gun lock, looks like a padlock but has a steel cable instead of the u shaped lock. Cheap at the store or most police departments give them out for free. You can loop it thru the frame or handlebars.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That I like! Out of the way, and you don't have to pop the seat to access...
(and you can't bite through it)
Its small light and fits under the rear seat taking up no room. Started using them on the Harley since it doesnt have a helmet lock either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
usually your lock you helmet using the chin strap. honestly you could use a $1000 dollar lock for your helmet if there is one, if someone is going to take your helmet they'll cut the chin strap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
usually your lock you helmet using the chin strap. honestly you could use a $1000 dollar lock for your helmet if there is one, if someone is going to take your helmet they'll cut the chin strap.
And then what will the thief do with the busted helmet with not strap?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

Ditto the 6 foot bike cable lock. It does 2 each jackets through the sleeve, full face helmets through the chin bar, packs, motorcycle to a post, ect.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A thief can be an idiot too you know. I had a helmet stolen off santa monica pier by cutting the strap. hope they wore it in good health. I had to ride home with no helmet.
I use about a 2' cable with the plastic stripped off part of one loop for easy hookup under the seat. & carry the jacket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts