Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there powdercoat their rims yet? what is involoved and the aproximate price? I heard that the bearings should be replaced ones they are removed for the painting. Can anyone enlighten me on this process? Thanks:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah

I had my wifes rims powder coated it is under wifes pink cbr250. Anyway you should have the bearing replaced. you will need to have the motorcycle shop remove the tires and the bearings (cost was the same for a tire replacment +15 for the bearing removal) I did not have to replace my wifes bearings because it only had 200 miles on it. then the powdercoating place will either send you rims to be sandblasted or they will do it there if they can do it. My quote was for 100 a rim if i want with a black, but I went with pink cause that is what she wanted. So I had to buy the color from one of there suppliers which the minimum was 5lbs. so it cost me 100 dollars a rim and 150 for the paint/powder. there was enough paint to do a whole nother set of rims. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks it is helpful. Your wifes bike is unique!!!:D I have the perfect Icon white and pink jacket that would match her theme perfectly, complete with armour. Wore it mabye three times. I'm going with a black and white theme now. Did you remove and then re-install the rims? I understand that it where the dollars mount up cause it can be labour intensive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Remove the wheels yourself (Need front/rear wheel stands)
2. Motorcycle shop for tire/bearing/disc brake/sprocket removal ($20)
3. Bead blast wheels ($80)
4. Powdercoat wheels ($100)
5. Motorcycle shop to get tires/bearings/disc brake/sprocket back on ($20)
6. Put the wheels back on yourself (Need front/rear wheel stands)

Total: $220

The powdercoat company I used referred me to the bike shop I used for tire/bearing removal and a metal shop for the bead blasting.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You should be able to get your wheels stripped and coated for around a $100 ea, depending on your location. PM me your location and I may be able to find someone close.

That price would be for a single-stage powder, a 2-stage process (base and clear) is usually an additional 50%. Typically any metallic powder requires a clear for durability. Adding clear to a solid color isn't usually required, and doesn't necessarily increase durability if it's not needed.

Most coaters will use Aluminum Oxide (80 grit) to blast. Too coarse or too fine of media doesn't give the proper profile for best durability.

Bearings need to be removed and should be replaced - even if they are almost new. The process of removing them can easily damage them - no reason to chance it.

matt -- the wheels look nice, but the $150 just to get the powder is a bit crazy. There are suppliers where you can get as little as 1/2 pound. Usually a set of wheels will take a pound or less.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah you could do it yourself and save some money but I was not willing to chance me doing something wrong with my wifes life in my hands. If it was mine I might have done a bit myself but i know it would have takin much longer for me to do than someone that does this for a living. 50 dollar a rim sounds really cheap ask them to put a clear coat on top of the powder coat will give you a nice finish---- was writing this as jkv posted lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah the color she wanted was just not available to buy by the lb - as for the bearings they told me if they damage them pulling them they would have to be replaced but they told me they came out easily with no damage and no need to replace.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah you could do it yourself and save some money but I was not willing to chance me doing something wrong with my wifes life in my hands. If it was mine I might have done a bit myself but i know it would have takin much longer for me to do than someone that does this for a living. 50 dollar a rim sounds really cheap ask them to put a clear coat on top of the powder coat will give you a nice finish
DIY powder coating definitely won't save you anything if you are just doing a couple rims.

$50 ea is too cheap. Most pro shops will charge around a $100 with stripping/blasting. It would be less if you brought them in blasted, but most top coaters don't like to work over metal blasted by someone else without knowing what media was used and how long ago it was blasted.

A clearcoat will add depth, but doesn't always give better durability if not needed. A full-gloss solid color should have the same gloss level and smoothness as a full-gloss clear, but the clear will add more depth.

I've heard that many shops feel it's just not a good idea to reuse bearings after removal.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help. Quite indespensible actually. I've a couple of bikes before but never considered powdercoating the wheels. All new to me so thanks loads!!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts