Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. We're looking for a local CBR250 owner to let us use their bike for a day for measurement, product design, and product fitment. I've had a handful of folks asking about model specific kits, and there's only one way to make that happen! Our headquarters is in Warren, MI, so if any of you are close to us and interested in trading product for use of your bike for a day please let me know!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, please feel free to post any suggestions to what you may be looking for in regards to a power outlet on your bike. Location, etc.

·
1,305 Posts
a cigarette lighter socket up between the handlebars ( to state the obvious) would be sweet

·
745 Posts
I'm up for a powerlet, have looked at them already. Would welcome a chance to help out for some hardware, but.... but.... too far away...

·
Registered
350 Posts
In the horizontal plane of this fairing:

"X" Marks the spot...

Funny... was just having a discussion about socket placement on another thread... Timing is everything...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I made it over to the local dealer today to snap a few photos of possible socket locations.

The following 4 images show possible location on the left side of the cockpit. Infill panel. I am still trying to find a bike locally to actually mount the product at which point I can recommend a particular socket kit and cables to power devices.

Here's a couple shots of the right side.

And a random shot of a possible rear location that could be used to bring power to luggage.

Also, the CBR250 has what we here at Powerlet call a Type 1 rearset, so our type 1 rearset kit would be a direct fit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In the horizontal plane of this fairing:

"X" Marks the spot...

Funny... was just having a discussion about socket placement on another thread... Timing is everything...
that is where I put mine but on the right side.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I just have my $15 outlet ran from the battery up thru the fairing and pretty much just hanging next to the ignition..works out good for me..doesnt get in the way when im not using it....too bad we dont have available bar space..lots of options to put a power outlet with a 7/8" bar mount...we dont have 1/8' all the free space combined :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
All the Powerlet options appear to necessitate cutting a hole in a part of the bike. It would be more appealing to me to be able to bolt it on without having to alter the stock bike.

Also, just my opinion, but having a vertical outlet in that location at the rear would seem to be inviting problems with being kicked (when something was plugged in); and would look kind of silly with something sticking out of there.

Personally, I cut the 'cigarette lighter' style plugs off and solder on lower profile connectors. I'm not a fan of the large bulky round cigarette lighter connectors. If I still want the male end to plug into the one supplied in pretty much all cars, I can simply solder on a connector to the male cigarette plug I just snipped off and use it in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the Powerlet options appear to necessitate cutting a hole in a part of the bike. It would be more appealing to me to be able to bolt it on without having to alter the stock bike.

Also, just my opinion, but having a vertical outlet in that location at the rear would seem to be inviting problems with being kicked (when something was plugged in); and would look kind of silly with something sticking out of there.

Personally, I cut the 'cigarette lighter' style plugs off and solder on lower profile connectors. I'm not a fan of the large bulky round cigarette lighter connectors. If I still want the male end to plug into the one supplied in pretty much all cars, I can simply solder on a connector to the male cigarette plug I just snipped off and use it in the car.
My main reason for coming here to post was to see if there was indeed enough interest for a socket on the CBR250 to go ahead and create a model specific bracket. This would eliminate the need to cut a hole in a panel for a socket. As it stands right now, one of our existing panel mount kits, a rearset kit, a direct to battery (DB) cable, or a cable mounted socket running from the battery are your choices. A handful of interested people doesn't show me enough of a return on investment to create a model specific kit for production.

The one at the rear was just a thought I had while I was at the dealer shooting photos. It's probably not the most ideal place like you said, and a type 1 rearset socket would allow you to get power to a side or tail bag just as easily.

Also, one thing you need to watch out for when cutting those ends off is the fact that most phones and gps units run at 5v nowadays. In such cases a regulator is built into the circuit board inside the plug. And when you cut that off you're now running 12v to a 5v device.

Another option may be our steering head kit for the VFR800 if the stem on the CBR250 is the same size. Using this with a RAM clutch/brake perch mount would allow you to power and mount your device from the handlebar area.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I use both the Ram stem mount for my gps and a brake/clutch mount for my contour roam camera...

great ideas tho with the pictures and locations above...but neither works for me..
getting the power outlet on the handlebars somewhere would be the most convenient for everyone IHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts