Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new rider, so ive just been hopping on the bike and going every day, but i have read certain posts saying thats not the way to do it.

I mainly do city riding right now, so no long trips or canyon rides yet.

Any advice on things to check before i ride?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Air pressure, tire condition, chain condition and tension, adjust mirrors, all lights and indicators, oil level.

Bunch of other things I do once every few rides like brake fluid level, coolant level, spokes if you have them etc.

·
1,305 Posts
Air pressure, tire condition, chain condition and tension, adjust mirrors, all lights and indicators, oil level.

once you do this a few times, it'll stick.. doesn't take long and it could save ya life.

·
Registered
878 Posts
once you do this a few times, it'll stick.. doesn't take long and it could save ya life.
Ya, probably takes two minutes.

Isn't there a list of things to check in the owners manual?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oil level, tyre pressure, coolant level and chain tension/lubrication I check every couple of weeks or 300 miles. My chain usually needs lubricating every 600 miles, tyres need a bit of air every couple of months or 1000 miles ish. ;)
But you're experienced and know your bike. He's a new rider and should get in the habit of checking anything safety related until he knows his bike.

·
Registered
356 Posts
if you get very familiar with everything and check it often, that one day you look and something different will stick out like a sore thumb

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, oil level, coolant level, and tire preassure check!

Ill also read through the owners manual and see how to check the chain, what to look for, how to make adjustments etc...

·
Registered
455 Posts
i need to get better about this... I check it before trips to the mountains but thats about it. I can usually immediately feel difference in the bike if tire pressure low and I can hear when the chain is getting dry. oil i don't pay much attention to. im oblivious to oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't check the oil by myself. I can't hold up the bike, making sure it is totally upright without going too far and pushing it over and look at the level which I need to be squatting to see.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I can't check the oil by myself. I can't hold up the bike, making sure it is totally upright without going too far and pushing it over and look at the level which I need to be squatting to see.
I kneel on the right side of the bike......squatting a bit, grab the right handgrip (throttle) and pull it towards me stopping when the bike is upright, I can then easily see the oil window as well as the coolant level. It's like using a centerstand on a bike, it's all technique and little if any strength. I'm in my mid-seventies and I can do it with no effort......just practice a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts