Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it would be fun to show off previous bikes for those of us who have had them. I've been riding for 5 years and I have had as many bikes in that amount of time.

The first motorcycle (that wasn't a scooter and had a clutch) that I owned was a Honda Phantom 200cc. I had no idea how to ride a motorcycle with a clutch but bought one anyway. I went to the Honda shop with my wife, paid for the bike, and asked for a quick lesson. One of the mechanics explained (in Thai) the mechanics of the clutch while my wife translated. I decided that it would not be safe for me to ride that day as the shop was on a very busy road in a pretty big city. The mechanic drove me home while I sat on the back :)

I downloaded some Youtube videos and did my best to learn how to ride. There were no riding lessons available (Thais grow up with motorcycles) where I lived, especially not in English!

I also remember 2 other incidents that were scary/embarrassing. One incident was when my wife and I were stopped at a red light on a major road and the light changed to green. We were stopped in front with the other scooters and motorcycles of a long line of cars. It was the perfect time to stall! All the motorcycles/scooters took off and there we were holding up hundreds of cars! My wife was yelling in my ear. Priceless!

Another incident was after I (sorta) learned how to ride and I was on my way to work. I wanted to make a Uturn (I can't remember why) so I pulled in the clutch and drifted (stupidly) in an arch until eventually the bike's weight pulled me to the road. A woman with a little shop at the side of the road came running to help me pull the bike up! I thanked her profusely with a red face inside my helmet. :)

After getting the hang of riding the little chopper with the red flames I decided I was tired of reading on the internet of how the bike was under-powered and the laughs I would get from macho Thai guys when they saw my little bike. It was time for something BIGGER!

This is a picture of the day I bought my Honda Super 4 Tech 1 and had yet to sell the Phantom.

Embarrassing story...I had just got a new job that was 25km from where I lived and was riding to my new supervisor's house because my wife was going to babysit his daughter. We were blasting along and all of a sudden my wife says "there, that's his road". I start to shift down and hit the breaks to get ready to turn into his little side street. Unfortunately, there was a mixture of sand/gravel on the should of the road. The front tire locked and we went down. I was wearing a helmet that had a visor but no chin protection. When the bike went down, I ended up with a little bit of my chin between the road and the plastic visor. Painful! My poor wife (who's gone off bikes with me more than once) cut up her knee and still has the scars :(

A few replacement parts and the bike was like new...

I loved my Tech 1 (CB400). It was fast and it looked great. The sound of the engine was amazing. No matter where I went, the heads would turn. I had bought the bike second hand already knowledgeable to the fact that it was a "grey import". It had a "red plate" that was issued by the police to the guy who sold it to me but it was not really road legal. There was talk on the internet about bikes that were "grey imports" being taken away by the police. It would have cost me a lot of money to make the bike legal so I decided to sell it.

The next bike I owned was the Ninja 250. That bike was great. I never (NOT ONCE!) put that bike down. Sure we had a few close calls, but hey, this is Thailand! I loved that bike but decided I needed something bigger for long distance touring which I did with a Thai motorcycle gang of >400cc bikes.

After the Ninjette, I bought a Kawasaki ER6N. This bike was POWERFUL. My wife and I are a combined weight off 100 kilograms. There would be times I would twist that throttle and vrooom we would GOOOOOOOOO. I had bought the bike second hand already loaded with Givi panniers and a top box. It's amazing that my wife was able to fit all her crap onto a bike with no luggage and then adapt to fill a bike with tonnes of luggage and still have crap left over for a tank bag and a backpack.

I really enjoyed that bike but only used it for touring. Due to a job change, we moved to a small town. At first my wife would take me to work on our little 115CC scooter and drop me off while my ER6N sat outside our place hardly ever used. I decided that it was too big to ride in our little town and we weren't doing much touring. It was time to step down in size.
I was able to sell the ER6N for the same price I had purchased it, 2 years later FTW!

Enter the CBR250...... The CBR250 has been a great scooter-commuter. I use it everyday for work and also on the occasional long-haul weekend tour. I've purchased a tank guard and a touring screen but that's it for now. The bike is great for in-town riding, but if I had unlimited funds, I would definitely buy an additional bike for touring.

Whoops. Looks like I messed up the title! Will also put up some pics right away..

·
Registered
172 Posts
First bike 1973 Kawasaki 900. Since then a Harley, Suzuki Savage, 2 Rebels, a 125 Kawasaki Eliminator, 71 CB350 Honda, Vulcan 500, Yamaha R6, 1987 Yamaha SRX250, and the CBR250R.
Currently I have 5 bikes.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
529 Posts
Steveeee - with the impressive storage capacity of the ER6N you had, I think it resembles a scooter in form and function better than the CBR250R.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Harley 883 xl Sportster(new). Wld never own one again. Honda cbf1000(new). Great bike but love the nimble responsivness of the 250 much better. Cbr is a funner ride:D

·
Registered
999 Posts
2005 Buell XB12Scg (new)
1999 HD Sportster 883 (new) converted to 1200
1992 Kawi Zephyr 750 (new)
1987 Kawi EX500 (new)
1985 Honda Nighthawk 450 (new)

Buying brand new bikes and cheap used up cages has been my method of madness since the beginning :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Probably missed a few-

1969 CT90 (7 yrs old, it had no seat so I could touch the pegs)
1976 XR75 (Started junior MX @ 10 yrs old)
1979 DT100 (Farmbike)
1979 RM80n
1980 CR125 Elsinore (Last of the aircooled red devils)
1981 XL185 (Farmbike)
1982 CR125
Motobecane Moped (16 yrs old P plate lic)
1983 TS185er (Farmbike)
1983 RM250 (First senior MX season)
197? T250 Hustler (Bunky 2 stroke roadbike)
1983 DR250 (Got my road licence)
1979 GS450 (Bunky roadbike)
1984 RZ500n (My pride and joy, still own it to this day)
1984 KX125
1985 KLR250
1986 KDX200
1989 RM250
1991 KLR650
1991 FZR600
1980 CB125n (Still own it)
1991 FZR1000
1994 DT175 (Farmbike)
1994 YZF750 (wrote it off :( many broken bones)
1996 Timberwolf (ATV Farmbike)
199? WR430 Husky (Enduros but it didnt finish the 97 season)
1998 WR400 (2 clubman Enduro seasons, many broken bones)
1998 955i Daytona (Brand new, 60,000 trouble free Km, Trackdays, Drags, touring, wheelieing for miles, sold it in '04/5)
1998 DR250
2000 TTR250 (Outright clubman champs, Nat terrain MX series, Pony Xpress series)
2002 TTR250 (3rd Experts champs, A4DE)
2003 TTR250 (3rd Ironman, 3rd Experts)
2004 TRX250 (ATV Farmbike Still ride it)
2005 R6 Rossi rep (briefly)
2005 KFX700 (ATV Farmbike.. VERY FAST! still ride it)

Then a big break giving the body and mind a rest, bought a boat.

2011 CBR250ABS to re-learn everything forgotten, lost, (or never had) for Trackdays and getting back in the saddle.

2013 Aprillia Tourno, or another Trumpy, but no rush for a big bike at all.
Road riding sucks untill we ban cars... which aint never gonna happen so stay frosty folks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mike, getting through town on that bike was dangerous. Too many people coming from different directions (This is Thailand).
I was commenting on the storage capacity. But I see your point. That bike would appear to be a traffic hazard in Thailand.

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a Cagiva mito that is a BLAST to ride...

Tough question Aufitt, what was your favourite?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Just a Cagiva mito that is a BLAST to ride...

Tough question Aufitt, what was your favourite?
There are 6 that worked perfectly...

The XR75 as it was perfect for a minibike.
The 1980 CR125 Elsinore as it was my first big bike, handled well even for its time, I still remember the smell of castor oil.
The RZ500 as I still own it, despite most of them killing their pilots (16" front wheel tankslappers , mine now has 17's front & rear) Last of the 4 cyl 2 strokes.
The YZF750 even though I spilt it in half vs a hit & run driver... That bike was pure sex and did 270kph which was fast in 1994.
The Daytona because I did lots of k's on the big old girl, fuel injected and wheelies were a breeze.. even big fast 4th gear ones at 200.
The TTR250's because they are bulletproof and such an underestimated bike, fast in tight muddy greasy special tests and thats what enduros are scored on.

Who knows in another few decades I may be rating the cbr as highly.. its cheap as chips, and even teaches an old rider like me that bikes still better than we are, I'm sure there is at least another 5 or more seconds a lap in in yet.
My goal is to move up a level and mix it with regular track day riders, too slow yet thru 2 parts of the track I need to get sussed out.
Its not the bikes fault its me.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Loved my Green Machine from the 70s and early 80s. :D This CBR250r is my first bike. But I have been kickin myself for not starting it earlier now that I am in my 30s.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those are some nice bikes Adventure, I had one question do you just keep them for a season or two as they are new and trade up? My favorite was the BMW I looked at those myself. Great looking ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those are some nice bikes Adventure, I had one question do you just keep them for a season or two as they are new and trade up? My favorite was the BMW I looked at those myself. Great looking ride.
Thanks. Funny, I had other bikes a while ago then got back into riding with the Harley. Then the BMW, putting 14-15 k on them keeping them for a year or so. Later, I sold both and picked up the V-Strom and kept it for two years...

So, I actually have been downsizing with every bike without regrets.
I kind of started living a more minimalist life-style and decided to sell excess stuff including the V-Strom. Looking for something simpler and reliable I pickup up the CBR. :) I'm happy so far! Simple is better and assets paid for are better than payments (or debt) any day IMO :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
+ 1 Funny sh**t!

I may get funny looks from big tourers while out on the road because of such miniscule displacement, but hey it's paid for!
:D No doubt! I'll get a kick out of that :p

I plan on taking it from PA to Mt. Washington (1k round trip) this summer. Having done it on the BMW and VStrom I may be in for a little shock :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that will be a challenge but someone managed to make it to the Arctic circle in Alaska on another thread. Absolutely amazing but the guy weighed a buck 50 maybe. I got another 50lbs and a foot on that one. :rolleyes: Not sure if I would take mine touring but it sure is tempting being my first bike.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts